Pick Your Poison
Written by Lauren Child
Lovereading4kids Price £10.39
£12.99 saving £2.60 (20%)
when in stock
As soon as this book is back in stock we will send you an email.Compare book price We'd love you to buy your books from Lovereading - especially if we helped you to choose them! But as our mantra is guidance, and that includes guidance on price, please do use our 'Compare Book Price' service to discover if the best value deal is from Lovereading or another specialist bookstore.
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
One of our Books of the Year 2015 - December 2015 Book of the Month You’ve got to be really smart to keep up with 13 year old secret agent Ruby Redfort, as her enemies know to their cost. There are multiple strands to her new adventure, which involves some deliciously clever dead-letter drops, double-crossings galore and a series of Snow White-inspired poisonings. Ruby of course takes it all in her stride, though she does have to brush up her Kung-Fu! Ruby is far and away the coolest, sassiest sleuth around and her deadpan dialogue gives the books a very distinct and satisfying flavour. Extra treats for her devotees in this volume include four-dimensional codes set by Marcus du Sautoy no less. Yep, Ruby is in a class of her own. ~ Andrea Reece
For those looking for more mysteries to solve, Robin Stevens’s Murder Most Unladylike series should fit the bill, while Lemony Snicket’s All the Wrong Questions series matches the books for cleverness and humour.
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review the first title in the series, Look Into My Eyes. You can read their full reviews here.
- Cara, age 9 - 'Ruby Redfort is very Adventurous, and I think it's cool with all the codes that Clancy and Ruby made up.'
- Katherine Sheldon, age 12 - 'All in all an amazing book which kept me turning the pages until a fantastic ending, can't wait to read the next one!!'
- Lucy Evans, age 8 - 'My mum got so annoyed when I was reading it, because I never wanted to put it down, not even to go to bed!'
- Natalie Hunter, age 12 - 'I really love Ruby Redfort and enjoy the mystery. I think the characters individual personalities are brilliant. I also like how the main character though super smart, acts like your average 13yr old.'
- Rose Heathcote, age 15 - 'This is a cleverly written mystery book, the casual remarks made throughout are important in solving the mysteries, this is what really draws you in and keeps you engaged all the way through.'
- Year 6, Freegrounds Junior School - 'We read this book as a class and loved it - we almost couldn't put it down...Loved the book, great main character and fast plot.'
- Jessamyn Doore, age 16 - 'Saw this and was reminded of my Clarice Bean reading days. Just had to give it a go and was so glad I did. Ruby Redford is great!'
- Hannah Pendel, age 10 - 'Hold onto your hats, Ruby has been recruited for spectrum. A secret spy agency hidden from the world. Is she really capable of saving gold - but is it the gold that needs saving?'
- Lily Boniface, age 15 - 'This is the best adventure book I have read in a long time. It had just the right amount of ‘on the edge of my seat’ suspence and mystery to keep you guessing.'
- Isabel Kardos-Stowe, age 10 - 'This is a great book that really draws you in. You just have to turn over every page...I won't tell you much about the book but you HAVE to read it.'
- Daisy Theobald, age 11 - 'I really enjoyed this book because I love mystery. As soon as I read the first page I was gripped.'
Win a Timmy Failure Goody Bag!
Everyone's favourite best worst detective is back in Timmy Failure: The Cat Stole My Pants! To mark the publication of the sixth book in this popular series we are giving away a fantastic goody bag which includes the 6 Timmy books, a Timmy scarf, mask, bookmark, and stickers.
To have a chance of winning this super prize, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter, multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once.
The draw closes on 29 May 2017. The winners will be notified by 5 June 2017.
Pick Your Poison by Lauren Child
Ruby Redfort: undercover agent, code-cracker and thirteen-year-old genius - you can count on her when you're between a rock and a hard place. There's a lot to lose sleep over in Twinford: there's the snakes and the bivalves, but they aren't half as poisonous as the rumours. With so many twists and turns it's hard to know who to trust, particularly when no one trusts you. Will Ruby make it out in one piece? Well, happy endings are for fairy tales, bozo.
Find out all the confidential information about Ruby Redfort at her own website rubyredfort.com
or her facebook page facebook.com/rubyredfort
Praise for Ruby Redfort
'This is a marvellous romp of a book, packed with action, villains, eccentric and embarrassing parents, superb gadgets and some perplexing codes.. Child excels at creating rounded central characters full of spiky defiance, wild imagination and touching loyalty to friends, and supports them with a thrilling cast of adversaries.' Daily Mail
'The new Ruby Redfort book is utterly exceptionordinarily brilliant' - Clarice Bean
'Lauren Child has put imagination and fun back into the real worlds of childhood.' - Julia Eccleshare, The Guardian
'Lauren Child is so good it's exhilarating' - The Independent
'Lauren Child is a publishing phenomenon' - Observer Magazine
Praise for Clarice Bean, Don't Look Now:
'Both hilarious and moving - this is going to be a huge hit.' - Guardian Books Supplement
'combines Lauren Child's inimitable style and wit' - Sunday Post
About the Author
More books by Lauren Child
Author's Facebook Latest
HarperCollins Children's Books an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers
19th November 2015
It’s really exciting to read and review new books, thrilling to see my reviews online and I love finding the final published copies on sale.Sam Harper – age 10
Lovereading is just a convenient way to find new books and hear others opinions on them.Sarah Murray – age 15
It’s a community united by a passion for books and promoting the best there is in children’s literature.Sam Bateman and family
I love finding new books to read. My mummy and me look at the new ones coming out. I have written reviews of some of them!Jessica Cobbin – age 7
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East
I love Lovereading4kids because I get an opportunity to put my opinion forward and to try new booksElosie Clarkson – age 11
I love Lovereading as it provides an honest opinion and showcases a range of fiction. Suited to both parents & kids alike, it’s a must-use.Georgie Rowe – age 16
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils