The Adventures of Miss Petitfour
Written by Anne Michaels
Illustrated by Emma Block
Lovereading4kids Price £8.79
£10.99 saving £2.20 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
One of our Books of the Year 2015 - A Staff Pick of the Year 2015, chosen by Shelley Fallows - December 2015 Debut of the Month There is something quite wonderful about indulging in your favourite cake, beautifully decorated with sweet delectable icing. Well the same can be said for The Adventures of Miss Petitfour. As well as being a novelist, author Anne Michaels is a poet and this is evident in her beautiful use of language which encourages you to read the words aloud just so you can wrap your tongue around them. This wonderful book contains five stories about our Mary Poppins/Pippi Longstocking/Mary Berry-esque heroine and her wonderful family of cats who trail paw-to-tail behind her as she rides the breeze towards her next adventure. The beautiful illustrations by Emma Block are quite literally the icing on the cake, full of humour and delicious detail. Indeed with this, her first book for children, Anne Michaels has created something that readers of all ages will return to again and again. ~ Shelley Fallows
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Beth Urquhart, age 8 - 'It was a funny book full of cat-filled adventures...Miss Petitfour is a bit like Mary Poppins but with cats. The illustrations were nice and helped the story to come alive.'
- Habibah Saleem, age 7 - 'The book describes the exciting adventures of Miss Petitfour and her favourite cats, showing her love for baking, making, dancing and especially having fun flying!'
- Sidney Greenslade, age 11 - 'The Adventures of Miss Petitfour is a delightfully heartwarming set of tales about a lady and her sixteen cats. Beautifully illustrated and suitable for all ages.'
- Evie Aconley, age 8 - 'This book was really good, I liked all the adventures especially the one about a penny black stamp.'
- Annabelle Cassidy, age 7 - 'If you love cats, or adventures, then this book is for you. Miss Petitfour is a wonderful character to whom anything might happen, all with the help of a tablecloth and her sixteen cats.'
- Anya Fuller, age 8 - 'I thought this book was brilliant. I would love to read some more of Miss Petitfour’s adventures if I could do so. I think that it would make a good present for girls aged 8 and over.'
- Mia Goodman, age 9 - 'I adored this book, it contained all my favourite things: cats, flying (I'd love to be able to fly!) and baking. It is one of the best books I have ever read!'
- Opal Harper, age 8 - 'This book includes five incredible stories about Miss Petitfour and her cats. She just has to pick up her favourite tablecloth and she flies off with her cats on amazing adventures! Wow!'
- Rachel Zinkin, age 8 - 'The book is very quirky and different from anything else.'
- Constance Peers, age 8 - 'These adventurous tales are purr-fect for children who like cats and richly descriptive story telling.'
- Darcey Mcilroy, age 7 - 'The book is full of short stories about Miss Petitfour and her cats...Miss Petitfour is a bit like Mary Poppins. My mum and I read the stories together which made them fun. We really liked the pictures because they were colourful.'
- Emily Yates, age 9 - 'A lovely relaxing read with brilliant digressions.'
- Miranda Beinart-Smith, age 9 - 'What I loved about this book was the entertainment and the wit and the way it taught you lots of new words. I also really liked the pretty, detailed illustrations.'
The Adventures of Miss Petitfour by Anne Michaels
Discover the utterly irresistible world of Miss Petitfour – packed with the playful spirit of Pippi Longstocking, the charm of Mary Poppins, with masses of cakes and cats!
In five fabulously captivating stories of gentle adventure, delicious edibles (with cheese for the cats), occasional peril and heart-zinging warmth, poet and novelist Anne Michaels (author of bestselling, award-winning Fugitive Pieces) makes a purrfect debut as a children's author. Beautifully illustrated by Emma Block we’re sure Miss Petitfour and her cats will charm and delight readers six to sixty.
Miss Petitfour loves baking and making and dancing with her cats, but most of all she loves to fly. All she has to do is pick up a favourite tablecloth (preferably the one with the paisley print), catch the breeze and she swooshes off on an adventure – with her many cats (Minky, Misty, Taffy, Purrsia, Pirate, Mustard, Moutarde, Hemdala, Earring, Grigorovich, Clasby, Captain Captain, Captain Catkin, Captain Clothespin, Your Shyness and Sizzles) dangling paw-to-tail behind her.
About the Author
More books by Anne Michaels
Bloomsbury Publishing PLC
19th November 2015
I love all the books they recommend & put up for me to review. I also love the fact that they give new authors the chance to share their booDaisy Pennock – age 15
A great way to introduce kids to great books, authors & genres. Parents can find age-appropriate books to share with their children.Judi Davies – Aberdare Girls Sch
Love “Lovereading4kids” as my son gets to hear about & read new books before his mates which keeps him interested in reading=a very happy MumLiz Evans
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils
I love lovereading4kids because I’ve read amazing books I would never have picked up, and its opened doors to new genre’s I now love.Harriet Cunningham
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley
I love Lovereading as it provides an honest opinion and showcases a range of fiction. Suited to both parents & kids alike, it’s a must-use.Georgie Rowe – age 16
I love Lovereading because I often never know what to read and this helps you find a good book. I have recommended this to many people.Shannon-Louise Masters – age 15