The Snow Sister
Written by Emma Carroll
Lovereading4kids Price £4.79
£5.99 saving £1.20 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
Julia Eccleshare's Pick of the Month, November 2015 Full of sadness but also hope and ultimately happiness this is a heart-warming story for Christmas with a strong Victorian setting. When Pearl makes a snow sister on Christmas Eve to remember her own dead sister Agnes she brings a little cheer into her life. But the moment is fleeting and Pearl is soon caught up in a fast- paced drama after her father receives a mysterious letter which promises to change the family’s fortunes forever. After many twists and turns along the way, what will Pearl’s new happiness be? ~ Julia Eccleshare
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Sam Harper, age 11 - 'This snowy tale of the importance of family is exactly what I would want to read, snuggled up in a blanket on the sofa, on Christmas Eve.'
- Erica Motoc, age 9 - 'The Snow Sister is a really good book. The main character is Pearl, a strong girl that fights through everything, sometimes cheeky, but mostly serious.'
- Felicity Wilcox, age 12 - 'A completely charming story for winter, good for 7-14 year olds of both genders!'
- Betty Furmston, age 9 - 'The only thing wrong with this book is that you can't put it down.'
- Amy Coward, age 9 - 'This story is about family and kindness and trying not to let your hopes get you down while you still have fun.'
- Jasmine Harris-Hart, age 13 - 'An exciting and at times sad story, set in Victorian England at Christmas.'
- Isabel, age 8 - 'A sad and engrossing story about Pearl and the snow girl who replaces her dead sister.'
- Isaac Phelan, age 12 - 'The Snow Sister. An action-packed thrilling adventure for those willing to explore its pages. This is a brilliantly well written book Emma Carroll.'
- Isla Bauer, age 9 - 'Fantastic, fascinating, hooking book. This book showed me how strong wills could be and Emma put a lot of description right into one tiny book.'
The Snow Sister by Emma Carroll
Ever since her sister, Agnes, died, Pearl has a tradition every time it snows. She makes a person out of snow. A snow sister. It makes Christmas feel a little less lonely.
In anticipation of a better Christmas, Pearl goes to beg credit at Mr Noble's grocery to get ingredients for a Christmas pudding. But she is refused, and chased down the street where she is hit by a handsome cab. The snow is falling so hard that they can't take her home. She'll have to stay at Flintfield Manor overnight, in a haunted room...Will Pearl make it home for Christmas?
About the Author
Interest Age: From 9
More books by Emma Carroll
Author's Facebook Latest
Faber Children's Books an imprint of Faber & Faber
1st October 2015
I love Lovereading4kids because I get an opportunity to put my opinion forward and to try new booksElosie Clarkson – age 11
I love finding new books to read. My mummy and me look at the new ones coming out. I have written reviews of some of them!Jessica Cobbin – age 7
I have told all my friends, family & teachers to see for themselves just how great the site is. Without fail, they are hugely impressed.Alexander Boxall – age 11
LoveReading4Kids is a modern and creative way of emphasising the value and importance of books in this digital age #booksforlifeAmrit Bunet – Teen
A great way to introduce kids to great books, authors & genres. Parents can find age-appropriate books to share with their children.Judi Davies – Aberdare Girls Sch
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley
At @HHSHaringey we love @lovereading4kids because our pupils can practice reviewing & get free upcoming books before anyone else!Helen Swinyard – Heartlands High