The Whispers in the Walls
Written by Sophie Cleverly
Part of the Scarlet and Ivy Series
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
November 2015 Book of the Month Boarding schools provide excellent settings for mystery stories and The Whispers in the Walls will have young readers on the very edge of their seats. Twins Ivy and Scarlet both attend Rockwood School, already the scene of some strange goings on. Scarlet has a reputation as a trouble-maker and when things are stolen from another girl, even Ivy suspects her sister. But blood is thicker than water and soon they are working together to clear Scarlet’s name. Their investigations involve lots of creeping about the corridors of their spooky school late at night, the discovery of secret rooms, and an ages-old crime. It’s spine-tingling stuff, and Cleverley is as good at the ordinary school-girl intrigues as she is on the bigger mystery. ~ Andrea Reece
Ruth Alltimes, Publishing Director at HarperCollins Children’s Books, said: ‘We have been looking for something perfect for tween girl readers who like a bit of dark with their pink, and when we read Scarlet and Ivy we knew we had found it – Sophie’s writing is so fresh and compelling, and the quirky details that embellish her story throughout will delight any tween reader!’
- Ciara, age 10 - 'I loved the use of words; it was as though I was there with Ivy! The whole book was brilliant there wasn't one part I disliked. I was moved to tears at times.'
- Jennifer Bridgeman, age 9 - 'This book is full of excitement and adventure, a masterpiece!...It illustrates a picture in your mind and scares you but fills you with joy at the same time.'
- Felicity Wilcox, age 11 - 'This is a page-turning mystery adventure with many mysteries and puzzles that keep you guessing, I certainly didn’t see the end coming!'
- Lily Benner, age 9 - 'This is probably one of the best books I've ever read. It was exciting, funny, warm and mysterious.'
- Jasmine Harris-Hart, age 12 - 'I was thoroughly engrossed in this book and before I knew it, it was the end! As the ending was so unexpected it made me like this book even more.'
- Jasmine Duce, age 10 - 'This front cover is very intriguing and makes the book look good even though it’s an amazing book anyway!...I’m excited for the next series and will be the first one to buy it!'
- Sidney Greenslade, age 11 - 'Scarlet and Ivy: The Lost Twin was filled with excitement, bravery, friendship and mystery and I would definitely recommend it. A fantastic read!'
- Rosie Watch - 'This is an excellent adventure. The suspense is underway from the first line and one is immediately drawn in.'
- Evie Aconley, age 8 - 'A brilliant and exciting book...I would recommend this book to everyone who likes a good adventure book.'
- Daisy Mae Pritchard-Williams, age 10 - 'It made you feel that you actually wanted to be in it!'
- Eleesha Walker, age 9 - 'This is a very exciting book because when you read, it just makes you want to read so much more and you just get an amazing feeling. I really just loved reading it.'
- Ella Day - 'The storyline is exciting and it feels like the characters come alive.'
- Lucy Keaveny - 'An exciting mystery with lots of twists.'
The Whispers in the Walls by Sophie Cleverly
Scarlet and Ivy return to Rookwood School - in their second spine-tingling mystery adventure! The twins have been reunited, but are definitely not out of danger...Evil Miss Fox may have fled the scene, but headmaster Mr Bartholomew is back, imposing a reign of terror with his threats of epic punishments should any of the pupils step out of line. When possessions and food start going missing, and the finger of suspicion is pointed firmly at troublemaking Scarlet, she knows she must uncover the truth to clear her name. The twins' investigations through the school in the dead of night reveal a secret hidden deep within the walls, a terrible crime committed many years past, and a very real threat to their present...
About the Author
Interest Age: From 9
More books by Sophie Cleverly
Author's Facebook Latest
HarperCollins Children's Books an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers
5th November 2015
I love Lovereading because I often never know what to read and this helps you find a good book. I have recommended this to many people.Shannon-Louise Masters – age 15
Love “Lovereading4kids” as my son gets to hear about & read new books before his mates which keeps him interested in reading=a very happy MumLiz Evans
At @HHSHaringey we love @lovereading4kids because our pupils can practice reviewing & get free upcoming books before anyone else!Helen Swinyard – Heartlands High
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils
A great way to introduce kids to great books, authors & genres. Parents can find age-appropriate books to share with their children.Judi Davies – Aberdare Girls Sch
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
I love ‘LoveReading 4 kids’ because they let you read and learn things you’d never dreamed of learning before.Emily Horncastle – age 11
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7