The 5th Wave
Written by Rick Yancey
Part of the The 5th Wave Series
Lovereading4kids Price £6.39
£7.99 saving £1.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
A film tie-in version of The 5th Wave, a novel that packs a punch on every page with hope and despair in equal measure alongside life and death. It will leave you gasping for breath and keep you hooked to the end and long after it'll be a book that makes you think. In a sentence it's The Passage meets The Hunger Games and it's now major film by Sony Pictures starring Chloe Grace Moretz (If I Stay).
The sequel to The 5th Wave is equally gripping - download an extract of The Infinite Sea here!
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert review, some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title.
- Sarah Murray - 'I had extremely high hopes and I was not disappointed… I love how the author slowly introduces characters and cleverly entwines flashbacks… This book had me in tears and at times reaching for my old nightlight. This book is another utterly fabulous addition to the growing dystopian franchise!' Read full review >
- Delilah Acworth, age 14 -'10/10 for this genius creation, it is definitely a book worth falling for!' Read full review >
- Danielle Shepherd - 'This is an amazing book....a fast pacing, page turning book, not only can you not put it down but you want to read it again, which of course I did.' Read full review >
- Morgan Steigmann, age 14 - 'This book should honestly be re-named the eighth wonder of the world, full of action, mystery and hope; the often occurring cliff-hangers will leave you in utter despair, with no choice but to delve into another nail-biting chapter.' Read full review >
- Darcy Elliman, age 15 - 'Fifth Wave is an amazing, fast paced novel which has you gripped to every page.' Read full review >
- Susana Sanchez - 'Rick Yancey’s The 5th Wave has all the ingredients to become another one in the pile of dystopian fantasies so favoured by teenagers in the past few years. And it is a very good one at that. Fans of The Knife of Never Letting Go, I am Number 4 or The Hunger Games will not be disappointed.' Read full review >
- Hollie Compton - 'I think great thought went into writing this book with how the characters were introduced and how they developed over the story. The way everything led to another, and how the story flowed so smoothly was amazing.' Read full review >
The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey
The 5th Wave is the award-winning and bestselling first book in an epic series from award-winning Rick Yancey that' s perfect for fans of The Hunger Games.
The 1st Wave: Took out half a million people.
The 2nd Wave: Put that number to shame.
The 3rd Wave: Lasted a little longer. Twelve weeks...Four billion dead.
In The 4th Wave, You can't trust that people are still people.
And The 5th Wave? No one knows. But it's coming.
On a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs. Runs from the beings that only look human, who have scattered Earth's last survivors. To stay alone is to stay alive, until she meets Evan Walker. Beguiling and mysterious, Evan may be her only hope. Now Cassie must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death. To give up or to get up.
'Remarkable, not-to-be-missed-under-any-circumstances ... JUST READ IT' Entertainment Weekly
'Wildly entertaining... I couldn't turn the pages fast enough' Justin Cronin The New York Times
'A modern sci-fi masterpiece... should do for aliens what Twilight did for vampires.' USA Today
The pace is relentless. Heat
An epic sci-fi adventure about a terrifying alien invasion. You'll read it in one sitting. Book seller
About the Author
Interest Age: From 12
More books by Rick Yancey
Author's Facebook Latest
Penguin Books Ltd
3rd November 2015
It’s a community united by a passion for books and promoting the best there is in children’s literature.Sam Bateman and family
It is THE website to use for narrowing down your search for any book. Definitely knocks the socks off any other book review website.Nickey and Tomasz Hawryszczuk
I have told all my friends, family & teachers to see for themselves just how great the site is. Without fail, they are hugely impressed.Alexander Boxall – age 11
I love lovereading4kids because I’ve read amazing books I would never have picked up, and its opened doors to new genre’s I now love.Harriet Cunningham
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils
It’s really exciting to read and review new books, thrilling to see my reviews online and I love finding the final published copies on sale.Sam Harper – age 10
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7
Lovereading is just a convenient way to find new books and hear others opinions on them.Sarah Murray – age 15