Written by Kate A. Boorman
Lovereading4kids Price £6.39
£7.99 saving £1.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
This is such a gloriously different and delightful read. The storyline sucks you in whole and clamours to be read as quickly as possible, while the beautifully bewitching writing encourages you to savour every word. Emmeline and her people rely on their fortified settlement and the virtues of honesty, bravery and discovery for survival. Every fibre in Emmeline longs for for the wilderness of the woods, her dreams hold knowledge, a promise, a future; can Emmeline walk her dreams in reality? Boorman has the wonderful ability to spirit you away to an imaginative creation that feels so very real; you experience the pain of Emmeline’s crushed foot and can literally taste the fear of the settlement when the warning alarm sounds. There may be a wait ahead for the second book in the trilogy but that gives you plenty of time to re-read this wonderful book again and again. ~ Liz Robinson
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert review, some of our Lovereading Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title.
- Alice East, age 10 - 'I would recommend this book to those who like to read magical mysteries. The story keeps you guessing what is going to happen next so you want to read more.' Read full review >
- Maddy Faulkner, age 12 - 'Winterkill is a haunting, mythical book. I really enjoyed this book because it is mysterious and keeps you thinking. It’s quite dramatic because of the action packed chapters and brave characters.' Read full review >
- Ella Hollingshead, age 13 - 'Winterkill is a captivating novel that focuses on a settlement surrounded by woods. Leaving the settlement is forbidden, yet this is exactly what Emmeline wants to do.' Read full review >
- Holly Carver, age 11 - 'Winterkill is a book with mystery, love and adventure. This book pulled me in and I loved it, it will entertain you for hours and you wont put it down until you have finished.' Read full review >
- Hannah Baer, age 11 - 'Winterkill I found a bit boring after a few pages. This was because it was really confusing and I had no idea what was happening.' Read full review >
- Sophie Bridges, age 11 - 'I think Winterkill is a really good book...The reason I like this book is because I like adventures and this is a very adventureous book.' Read full review >
- Emma Baird, age 11 - 'I like this book because it’s mysterious and keeps you thinking. It’s quite dramatic due to the action packed scenes and sudden plot twists...I would definitely recommend this amazing book.' Read full review >
- Anna Leaver, age 10 - 'a thrilling book full of surpises. I was shocked at the end and wanted to know more!' Read full review >
- Abigail Mann, age 13 - 'A fantastic read, a well structured and very clever story. I love how it all unravels at the end. It was such a cliff hanger.' Read full review >
- Jemma Rubens, age 10 - '. A suspenseful novel, filled with apprehension.' Read full review >
- Rachel Ilsley, age 10 - 'This book was superb and I enjoyed every minute of it.' Read full review >
- Natalie Hunter - 'I really enjoyed reading Winterkill and couldn't put it down.The plot was brilliant. If you are thinking about reading this book think no more: just read it.' Read full review >
Winterkill by Kate A. Boorman
Winterkill is the first title in a stunning new YA series by Kae A Boorman - perfect for fans of the Hunger Games, Maze Runner and Patrick Ness.
No one leaves the settlement if they want to survive. Emmeline knows this, but the trees in the woods are whispering to her, pulling her towards the wayward path. Inside the safety of the wall is a marriage she doesn't want, and a boy she can't have. But outside? The malmaci lies in wait, and the freezing Winterkill is coming...
'I ripped through, desperate to know the secrets behind this captivating world... Thrilling and touching... Emmeline is a character I won't soon forget.' James Dashner, author of The Maze Runner
About the Author
Kate A. Boorman
More books by Kate A. Boorman
Faber Children's Books an imprint of Faber & Faber
5th November 2015
LoveReading4Kids is a modern and creative way of emphasising the value and importance of books in this digital age #booksforlifeAmrit Bunet – Teen
At @HHSHaringey we love @lovereading4kids because our pupils can practice reviewing & get free upcoming books before anyone else!Helen Swinyard – Heartlands High
Lovereading4kids is great, we get books really early never late. We love to read and review, and think you would like it too. The excitementJasmine Harris-Hart, age 12
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7
This company is amazing; not only is it is a great opportunity to get books and review them but everyone is so friendly and supportive!Jemma Rubens, age 10
I love lovereading4kids because I’ve read amazing books I would never have picked up, and its opened doors to new genre’s I now love.Harriet Cunningham
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East
I love Lovereading because I often never know what to read and this helps you find a good book. I have recommended this to many people.Shannon-Louise Masters – age 15