The Dark Days Club
Written by Alison Goodman
Part of the Lady Helen Series
Lovereading4kids Price £6.39
£7.99 saving £1.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
January 2016 Debut of the Month This first novel in a trilogy of deliciously dark, supernatural page-turners set in Regency England is packed with passion, period detail and devastating demons.
London, 1812, and sharp-minded, strong-spirited Lady Helen Wrexhall is about to be presented to Queen Charlotte. Her parents deceased, Helen lives with her authoritarian uncle and aunt, whose principle purpose is to see their niece secured in a seemly matrimonial match. But when Helen encounters the enigmatic, scandalous Earl of Carlson, she finds herself drawn from the dazzling lights of Vauxhall Gardens into the darkness of a parallel world of demons, whose deadly influence has penetrated the very core of political power. And she also discovers disturbing truths about her supposedly disreputable mother, and herself…
Under the full moon of her presentation ball, Helen faces an excruciating decision. Will she accept a proposal from the thoroughly decent Duke of Selborn and become a high society Duchess? Or will she use her newfound powers and join smouldering Lord Carlston in the Dark Days Club as a Demon Slayer? Alongside Helen’s absorbing personal conflict, the contrasts between the tightly corseted constraints of Regency England and the wildness of the dark, demonic underworld are brilliantly evoked. This is a consummately satisfying, un-put-down-able epic that will be devoured by fans of Cassandra Clare. ~ Joanne Owen
Teens love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Humaira Kauser, age 17 - 'The Dark Days Club is beautifully written, absolutely captivating and left me wanting more.'
- Izzy Read - 'The Dark Days Club was modern and classic all at the same time and I loved it! It was a whole new world of excitement, twists and turns, that I never saw coming.'
- Susie Holm, age 15 - 'A brilliant read which explores the 19th century with a variety of characters that modern young adults can associate with in a way that is both easy and fun to follow.'
- Megan Chambers, age 14 - 'Like always with Alison Goodman, the plot is unique, with nothing else like it. I would definitely recommend this book.'
- Megan West, age 14 - 'I think this was a good book with interesting plots and characters. I enjoyed that it was set in a past era and that it had similarities between novels by Cassandra Clare.'
- Destiny Maraj, age 14 - 'a great storyline with a clever plot, the development off all the characters was fantastic and it was a brilliantly written novel.'
- Amelia Corrick-Gough, age 14 - 'I really loved this book! The best part was the ending, and I can't wait until the next book is released.'
- Edel Waugh - 'The story is a mix of elegance and demons set in a way that is almost believable, the characters and plot are divine as you never quite know which of them you can trust.'
- Jenny Duffy - 'This is a compelling read, combining a richly detailed Regency London setting with a shadowy world of demons and violence.'
The Dark Days Club by Alison Goodman
Jane Austen's high society and Cassandra Clare's supernatural underworld collide in the first book in the Lady Helen trilogy, perfect for fans of historical fiction and fantasy. London, April 1812. Lady Helen Wrexhall is set to make her curtsy to Queen Charlotte and step into polite Regency Society. Unbeknownst to Helen, that step will also take her from the glittering ballroom of Almacks and the bright lights of Vauxhall Gardens into a shadowy world of demonic creatures, missing housemaids and deadly power. Standing between those two worlds is Lord Carlston, a man of dubious reputation and infuriating manners. He believes Helen is destined to protect humanity, but all he can offer is danger, savagery and the possibility of madness. Not the kind of destiny suitable for a young lady in her first London Season.
This delightfully dangerous adventure of self-discovery and difficult choices has all the unnerving dark magic of Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell and the action of classics such as The Scarlet Pimpernel.
About the Author
Interest Age: From 14
More books by Alison Goodman
Author's Facebook Latest
Walker Books Ltd
21st January 2016
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
It has introduced my children to books we hadn’t come across before. Real children’s reviews gives a great insight into what others think toLorraine Woods
It is THE website to use for narrowing down your search for any book. Definitely knocks the socks off any other book review website.Nickey and Tomasz Hawryszczuk
Love “Lovereading4kids” as my son gets to hear about & read new books before his mates which keeps him interested in reading=a very happy MumLiz Evans
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14
Lovereading is just a convenient way to find new books and hear others opinions on them.Sarah Murray – age 15
This company is amazing; not only is it is a great opportunity to get books and review them but everyone is so friendly and supportive!Jemma Rubens, age 10