The Icarus Show
Written by Sally Christie
Lovereading4kids Price £8.79
£10.99 saving £2.20 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
One of our Books of the Year 2016 | Longlisted for the UKLA 2017 Book Award | January 2016 Book of the Month There’s something appealing just about the format and feel of this book – a small hardback, it looks inviting and eminently readable. And it is just that. Alex is getting by at school through the simple expedient of making himself invisible. But the balance of power there changes with the arrival of mysterious notes from someone calling themselves Icarus, promising to fly. As excitement spreads, and Alex learns who Icarus is, the knowledge is both thrilling and troubling – after all, Icarus’s flight ended in tragedy. Ultimately, though it considers some of the most depressing and depressingly familiar aspects of human behaviour, this is a story of hope, with a little nod to magic in it too. ~ Andrea Reece
From the same publisher, and in the same pick-up-able format, the Costa shortlisted Jessica’s Ghost takes a similarly thoughtful and life-affirming look at friendship.
Teens love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews here.
- Rose Roberts, age 12 - 'The Icarus Show by Sally Christie is one of the best books I have read this month. I absolutely loved it. It is a well-written story with a plot line that makes you want to just keep on reading.'
- Rachel Ilsley, age 12 - 'I really enjoyed this book, and could not put it down! It is an exciting plot, full of mystery and confusion. I also like the author’s style of writing.'
- Benjy Randall, age 12 - 'Brilliant book with page turning suspense!'
- Edel Waugh - 'Loved this book.'
- Rebekah Marsh, age 13 - 'The Icarus Show shows the development of a beautiful friendship. Is it unique? Yes. Is it obscure? Yes. But these factors all contribute to how utterly and totally I enjoyed reading the book.'
- Mia Coffman, age 12 - 'The Icarus Show was a brilliant book with a gripping plot. It was quite a slow start to the book which in my opinion I didn't really like but once I got into it, I couldn't put it down.'
- Jamie Bamford, age 12 - 'A brilliant book which follows the emotions and lives of two teenage boys. Brilliant story! I definitely recommend it to anyone who likes a good novel that keeps you reading well into the night.'
- Jodi Coffman, age 13 - 'I really enjoyed this book as it relates to everyone at school and deals with important issues that many people go through. It an extremely unique book and something different to read.'
- Ofelia Tavares, age 13 - 'I found it a truly interesting read and it was a genre I have not read much of before...it was very well written and definitely addressed a few key issues.'
The Icarus Show by Sally Christie
Alex has worked out a foolproof way to avoid being picked on. Don't React. It's so simple, it's brilliant! David does react and becomes an outcast, nicknamed Bogsy. He's branded a weirdo and Alex is determined to avoid the same fate. But one day, Alex gets a note in his bag that forces him out of his safe little world. Who sent the note? And is it true - will a boy really fly?
A magnificent story about doing something extreme and daring to be different, this deeply insightful novel poignantly deals with bullying, friendship and loneliness. Sally Christie has created a beautifully engaging story that will touch your heart.
'An absorbing tale' Guardian
'An absolutely beautifully crafted read, with unforgettable characters who will truly get under your skin' The Bookseller
'A life-affirming look at friendship, with a little magic in it too' Absolutely Education Magazine
About the Author
More books by Sally Christie
Author's Facebook Latest
David Fickling Books
7th January 2016
I love Lovereading as it provides an honest opinion and showcases a range of fiction. Suited to both parents & kids alike, it’s a must-use.Georgie Rowe – age 16
I love Lovereading because I often never know what to read and this helps you find a good book. I have recommended this to many people.Shannon-Louise Masters – age 15
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East
It has introduced my children to books we hadn’t come across before. Real children’s reviews gives a great insight into what others think toLorraine Woods
I think Lovereading4kids is an amazing company because of the friendly staff and the fabulous chance to read great books before publication.Adam Graham
Lovereading4kids is great, we get books really early never late. We love to read and review, and think you would like it too. The excitementJasmine Harris-Hart, age 12
I love all the books they recommend & put up for me to review. I also love the fact that they give new authors the chance to share their booDaisy Pennock – age 15
I love lovereading4kids because I’ve read amazing books I would never have picked up, and its opened doors to new genre’s I now love.Harriet Cunningham