Spook's: A New Darkness
Written by Joseph Delaney
Part of the The Starblade Chronicles Series
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
Dreadful monsters abound in this new chapter of the Spook’s saga and as ever Delaney’s storytelling will catch many readers. Tom Ward is now the County’s Spook and when reports come in of a series of horrible murders it’s his duty to investigate. He’s accompanied by an apprentice of his own, a young girl Jenny, seventh daughter of a seventh daughter. The real threat comes from a truly terrifying enemy, the army of Kobalos, ruthless monsters determined to slaughter all human men and enslave the women: Tom is lucky to have Jenny at his side. The ending will shock all Spook’s fans and leave them desperate for the next in this new series. ~ Andrea Reece
There’s more gripping ghost-hunting action in Jonathan Stroud’s Lockwood and Co. series, and lots of opportunities for monster combat in Ian Livingstone and Steve Jackson’s seminal Fighting Fantasy series.
Teens love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Sidney Greenslade, age 12 - 'Thank you to Joseph Delaney for writing this book, I couldn't get enough of it. Fantastic characters, amazing world, wonderful writing – it has everything. I loved it.'
- Rose Roberts, age 12 - 'I really enjoyed Spooks - A New Darkness. I liked how it is set in this world, but has made up creatures. It has the common 'light vs dark' 'good vs evil' but in a completely different way.'
- Aonghus Anderson, age 12 - 'I read the whole book in one day it was so gripping, the descriptions of the battles were amazing and it had a really good storyline.'
- Eloise Mae Clarkson, age 12 - 'The plot was amazing and I loved the twist at the end. I would rate this book five out of five stars. I would definitely read more in the series and recommend to a friend.'
- Amelia Corrick-Gough, age 14 - 'Oh my goodness! How do I put my love for this book into words? I picked this book up, and I fell into the county. I fell in love with the characters, and I can't wait for the next book!'
- Georgina Bellingham, age 12 - 'This book will introduce a whole new generation of readers to the ‘Spooks’ books. It is perfect if you love adventure, thrills and chills, and a bit of darkness.'
- Benjamin Parsons, age 12 - 'An exciting book, full of twists and turns. Recommended for fantasy lovers.'
- Cesca Anderson - 'Spooks: A New Darkness is a very exciting book that kept me in eager suspense the whole way through.'
- Emily Price - 'I knew that I wasn't going to put this book down. It’s amazing.'
- Rebekah Marsh, age 13 - 'Spooks - A New Darkness is truly inspiring, it is representative of today's changing society and how gender no longer has an impact upon our actions.'
- Josh Curtis, age 13 - 'I can’t wait till the next one comes out!!'
- Joseph Harris-Hart, age 13 - 'A dark yet thrilling adventure story, with weird monsters, witches, ghosts, ghasts and all manner of dark entities, I couldn't help but read it!'
- Felicity Kerswell, age 13 - 'This book was gripping and was a really excellent read. I can’t wait for the next book to come out in the New Year. The way the author has written this book made me feel as I was a part of the story.'
- Ella Hollingshead, age 14 - 'Spooks is full of suspense and drama. I couldn't put this book down as I needed to know the ending!'
- Traviss Chaytors, age 12 - 'A.M.A.Z.I.N.G!I love all of the Spooks books but this has to be the best yet because it’s full of excitement and was even a little bit scary in places!'
Spook's: A New Darkness by Joseph Delaney
This is the first terrifying tale in the Starblade Chronicles, from the bestselling author of The Spook's Apprentice.
'It's a dangerous job, but someone has to do it.' For years, the local Spook kept the county safe from evil. But now his time has ended, and there is only one boy who can take over - Thomas Ward, barely more than a child himself. Now he too must take on an apprentice, a girl called Jenny who is untested but willing to be trained in the dangerous life of a Spook. When girls start dying in mysterious circumstances, they soon find themselves on the path of a terrifying and deadly beast. Monstrous assassins are loose in the County, and far to the north, a new darkness is rising that threatens to engulf the whole world. Do Tom and Jenny stand a chance against the might of the Kobalos?
Browse inside this book
About the Author
Interest Age: From 12
More books by Joseph Delaney
Red Fox an imprint of Random House Children's Publishers UK
26th February 2015
It has introduced my children to books we hadn’t come across before. Real children’s reviews gives a great insight into what others think toLorraine Woods
It’s a community united by a passion for books and promoting the best there is in children’s literature.Sam Bateman and family
A great way to introduce kids to great books, authors & genres. Parents can find age-appropriate books to share with their children.Judi Davies – Aberdare Girls Sch
It is THE website to use for narrowing down your search for any book. Definitely knocks the socks off any other book review website.Nickey and Tomasz Hawryszczuk
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley
I love Lovereading4kids because I get an opportunity to put my opinion forward and to try new booksElosie Clarkson – age 11
I love Lovereading as it provides an honest opinion and showcases a range of fiction. Suited to both parents & kids alike, it’s a must-use.Georgie Rowe – age 16
I love lovereading4kids because I’ve read amazing books I would never have picked up, and its opened doors to new genre’s I now love.Harriet Cunningham