Spook's: The Dark Army
Written by Joseph Delaney
Part of the The Starblade Chronicles Series
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
Following the shocking final events of A New Darkness, fans of the Spook’s series will be desperate to find out what happens next. The opening chapter is riveting as Tom Ward, slaughtered at the end of the previous book, is dragged from his grave by the dark mage Lukrasta. He’s been resurrected to fight the terrible forces of the Kobalos army, threatening to destroy the whole human race. Delaney is an expert at keeping tension high as Tom and his friends – particularly new apprentice Jenny – face grotesque monsters, but skilful too at depicting relationships. The action leads to another devastating climax, and there’s more heartbreak instore for Tom. Unbeatable stuff for readers who like to be terrified!
There’s more gripping ghost-hunting action in Jonathan Stroud’s Lockwood and Co. series, and lots of opportunities for monster combat in Ian Livingstone and Steve Jackson’s seminal Fighting Fantasy series. ~ Andrea Reece
Teens love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review the first title in The Starblade Chronicles, A New Darkness. You can read their full reviews here.
- Sidney Greenslade, age 12 - 'Thank you to Joseph Delaney for writing this book, I couldn't get enough of it. Fantastic characters, amazing world, wonderful writing – it has everything. I loved it.'
- Rose Roberts, age 12 - 'I really enjoyed Spooks - A New Darkness. I liked how it is set in this world, but has made up creatures. It has the common 'light vs dark' 'good vs evil' but in a completely different way.'
- Aonghus Anderson, age 12 - 'I read the whole book in one day it was so gripping, the descriptions of the battles were amazing and it had a really good storyline.'
- Eloise Mae Clarkson, age 12 - 'The plot was amazing and I loved the twist at the end. I would rate this book five out of five stars. I would definitely read more in the series and recommend to a friend.'
- Amelia Corrick-Gough, age 14 - 'Oh my goodness! How do I put my love for this book into words? I picked this book up, and I fell into the county. I fell in love with the characters, and I can't wait for the next book!'
- Georgina Bellingham, age 12 - 'This book will introduce a whole new generation of readers to the ‘Spooks’ books. It is perfect if you love adventure, thrills and chills, and a bit of darkness.'
- Benjamin Parsons, age 12 - 'An exciting book, full of twists and turns. Recommended for fantasy lovers.'
- Cesca Anderson - 'Spooks: A New Darkness is a very exciting book that kept me in eager suspense the whole way through.'
- Emily Price - 'I knew that I wasn't going to put this book down. It’s amazing.'
- Rebekah Marsh, age 13 - 'Spooks - A New Darkness is truly inspiring, it is representative of today's changing society and how gender no longer has an impact upon our actions.'
- Josh Curtis, age 13 - 'I can’t wait till the next one comes out!!'
- Joseph Harris-Hart, age 13 - 'A dark yet thrilling adventure story, with weird monsters, witches, ghosts, ghasts and all manner of dark entities, I couldn't help but read it!'
- Felicity Kerswell, age 13 - 'This book was gripping and was a really excellent read. I can’t wait for the next book to come out in the New Year. The way the author has written this book made me feel as I was a part of the story.'
- Ella Hollingshead, age 14 - 'Spooks is full of suspense and drama. I couldn't put this book down as I needed to know the ending!'
- Traviss Chaytors, age 12 - 'A.M.A.Z.I.N.G!I love all of the Spooks books but this has to be the best yet because it’s full of excitement and was even a little bit scary in places!'
Spook's: The Dark Army by Joseph Delaney
Thomas Ward was working as the new County Spook, fighting the Dark with his own apprentice. But a new enemy stirred in the north, and Tom's calling required him to leave his home and lead an uprising against a legion of beasts: creatures of the dark intent on locking the whole earth in a never-ending winter. Then something went horribly wrong, and now Tom lies cold in a grave, while those who remain are in despair. Who can now take up the battle? And how much time remains before the dark army brings the fight back to the County, and the world is changed for ever?
An absorbing tale with scary scenarios The Sunday Times on The Spook's Apprentice
About the Author
Interest Age: From 12
More books by Joseph Delaney
Author's Facebook Latest
Red Fox an imprint of Random House Children's Publishers UK
4th August 2016
It’s really exciting to read and review new books, thrilling to see my reviews online and I love finding the final published copies on sale.Sam Harper – age 10
We love Lovereading4kids because it promotes reading choices, new authors and a sense of community for children of all ages!Rachel Bridgeman
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
This company is amazing; not only is it is a great opportunity to get books and review them but everyone is so friendly and supportive!Jemma Rubens, age 10
I have told all my friends, family & teachers to see for themselves just how great the site is. Without fail, they are hugely impressed.Alexander Boxall – age 11
I think Lovereading4kids is an amazing company because of the friendly staff and the fabulous chance to read great books before publication.Adam Graham
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East