Simon Thorn and the Wolf's Den
Written by Aimee Carter
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
February 2016 Debut of the Month Like Harry Potter, Aimée Carter’s twisty, original thriller stars a gang of kids with special abilities up against a cast of powerful adults, some of whom are decidedly untrustworthy. Instead of being trainee wizards however, these young people are at shapeshifter school learning to turn themselves into animals. Simon can talk to animals, but had no idea he could be the heir to a shapeshifting dynasty until suddenly he’s at the centre of a decades-old intrigue, with a new set of friends, and even a brother he never knew he had. As strife between the shapeshifters and the different factions of the animal kingdom grows, this is a great opener to a new series that will satisfy readers who like their adventures action- and animal-packed. ~ Andrea Reece
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Tomasz Hawryszczuk, age 10 - 'What a brilliant book. A boy who can talk to animals and shape shift. Perfect for reluctant boy readers I would say, as it's full of suspense and excitement.'
- Sam Harper, age 11 - 'a great mix of amazing plot, thrilling action scenes and a jaw-dropping cliffhanger ending that left me begging for more of this incredible series.'
- Henry Plummer, age 10 - 'The Animalgam world is in grave danger. Will Simon Thorn, a 12 year old boy living in Manhattan, who discovers he can communicate with animals, be the one to save it?'
- Alice East, age 11 - 'This is one of the best books I have read in a long time. I would rate this 10/10!'
- Charlotte Gordon, age 11 - 'Simon Thorn and the Wolf's Den is a brilliant book. It is well written and has an amazing story line.'
- Oliver Thorpe, age 9 - 'This book is extraordinary. Simon is a boy living with his uncle while his mother works away. One day he meets a talking eagle. The next thing he knows he is whisked away to a world of adventure.'
Win a SIGNED hardback copy of Ottoline and the Purple Fox!
We are giving away 3 signed hardback copies of the fourth Ottoline adventure written and illustrated by Chris Riddell, Ottoline and the Purple Fox.
To have a chance of winning one of these great prizes, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter, multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once.
Draw closes on 5 December 2016. The winners will be notified by 16 December 2016 and you should have your prize in time for Christmas!
Simon Thorn and the Wolf's Den by Aimee Carter
Twelve-year-old Simon Thorn's life has never been easy, but being bullied at school and living in a cramped Manhattan apartment with his Uncle Darrell is nothing compared to his biggest secret: he can talk to animals. When his mum is kidnapped by a herd of terrifying rats, Simon finds out that he, his mum and his uncle are all Animalgams - people who can change into an animal at will. In search of his mother he discovers the Animalgam Academy located underneath Central Park Zoo. There he learns about the fractured five kingdoms that make up this secret world - Mammals, Birds, Insects, Reptiles and Underwater. And Simon Thorn is the only one who can save them.
About the Author
Interest Age: From 9
More books by Aimee Carter
Bloomsbury Publishing PLC
11th February 2016
It’s a community united by a passion for books and promoting the best there is in children’s literature.Sam Bateman and family
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley
Lovereading is just a convenient way to find new books and hear others opinions on them.Sarah Murray – age 15
I love all the books they recommend & put up for me to review. I also love the fact that they give new authors the chance to share their booDaisy Pennock – age 15
I love Lovereading because I often never know what to read and this helps you find a good book. I have recommended this to many people.Shannon-Louise Masters – age 15
LoveReading4Kids is a modern and creative way of emphasising the value and importance of books in this digital age #booksforlifeAmrit Bunet – Teen
We love Lovereading4kids because it promotes reading choices, new authors and a sense of community for children of all ages!Rachel Bridgeman
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques