Simon Thorn and the Wolf's Den
Written by Aimee Carter
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
February 2016 Debut of the Month Like Harry Potter, Aimée Carter’s twisty, original thriller stars a gang of kids with special abilities up against a cast of powerful adults, some of whom are decidedly untrustworthy. Instead of being trainee wizards however, these young people are at shapeshifter school learning to turn themselves into animals. Simon can talk to animals, but had no idea he could be the heir to a shapeshifting dynasty until suddenly he’s at the centre of a decades-old intrigue, with a new set of friends, and even a brother he never knew he had. As strife between the shapeshifters and the different factions of the animal kingdom grows, this is a great opener to a new series that will satisfy readers who like their adventures action- and animal-packed. ~ Andrea Reece
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Tomasz Hawryszczuk, age 10 - 'What a brilliant book. A boy who can talk to animals and shape shift. Perfect for reluctant boy readers I would say, as it's full of suspense and excitement.'
- Sam Harper, age 11 - 'a great mix of amazing plot, thrilling action scenes and a jaw-dropping cliffhanger ending that left me begging for more of this incredible series.'
- Henry Plummer, age 10 - 'The Animalgam world is in grave danger. Will Simon Thorn, a 12 year old boy living in Manhattan, who discovers he can communicate with animals, be the one to save it?'
- Alice East, age 11 - 'This is one of the best books I have read in a long time. I would rate this 10/10!'
- Charlotte Gordon, age 11 - 'Simon Thorn and the Wolf's Den is a brilliant book. It is well written and has an amazing story line.'
- Oliver Thorpe, age 9 - 'This book is extraordinary. Simon is a boy living with his uncle while his mother works away. One day he meets a talking eagle. The next thing he knows he is whisked away to a world of adventure.'
Win an original print from The Pavee and the Buffer Girl
Siobhan Dowd's powerful story of the fight against racism and prejudice, The Pavee and the Buffer Girl, has been reissued as a splendid graphic novel with stunning illustrations by Emma Shoard. We are giving away an ORIGINAL print from the book (shown here) and a copy SIGNED by Emma.
To have a chance of winning this special prize, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter, multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once.
The draw closes on 3 May 2017. The winners will be notified by 15 May 2017.
Simon Thorn and the Wolf's Den by Aimee Carter
Twelve-year-old Simon Thorn's life has never been easy, but being bullied at school and living in a cramped Manhattan apartment with his Uncle Darrell is nothing compared to his biggest secret: he can talk to animals. When his mum is kidnapped by a herd of terrifying rats, Simon finds out that he, his mum and his uncle are all Animalgams - people who can change into an animal at will. In search of his mother he discovers the Animalgam Academy located underneath Central Park Zoo. There he learns about the fractured five kingdoms that make up this secret world - Mammals, Birds, Insects, Reptiles and Underwater. And Simon Thorn is the only one who can save them.
About the Author
Interest Age: From 9
More books by Aimee Carter
Bloomsbury Publishing PLC
11th February 2016
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
I love Lovereading as it provides an honest opinion and showcases a range of fiction. Suited to both parents & kids alike, it’s a must-use.Georgie Rowe – age 16
LoveReading4Kids is a modern and creative way of emphasising the value and importance of books in this digital age #booksforlifeAmrit Bunet – Teen
I think Lovereading4kids is an amazing company because of the friendly staff and the fabulous chance to read great books before publication.Adam Graham
It’s really exciting to read and review new books, thrilling to see my reviews online and I love finding the final published copies on sale.Sam Harper – age 10
I love ‘LoveReading 4 kids’ because they let you read and learn things you’d never dreamed of learning before.Emily Horncastle – age 11
We love Lovereading4kids because it promotes reading choices, new authors and a sense of community for children of all ages!Rachel Bridgeman
It’s a community united by a passion for books and promoting the best there is in children’s literature.Sam Bateman and family