Beautiful Broken Things
Written by Sara Barnard
Lovereading4kids Price £6.39
£7.99 saving £1.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
Zoella Book Club title Summer 16 | February 2016 Debut of the Month 16-year-old Brightonians Caddy and Rosie have been best friends all their lives, their relationship enduring even when Caddy’s aspirational parents send her to a private school. But when an enigmatic new girl arrives at Rosie’s comprehensive, Caddy’s longing for “something of some significance to happen” in her “hopelessly average” life is set in motion, along with a shift in the dynamic of her relationship with Rosie. While Caddy is initially terrified that the beautiful, impulsive Suzanne will replace her, the three of them form a deep friendship. As Suzanne’s self-destructiveness escalates, it emerges that she’s struggling to cope with the ordeal of having suffered physical abuse at the hands of her stepfather, and Caddy finds herself laying everything on the line to save her downward spiraling friend.
This powerful, punch-packing debut is an utterly compelling, authentic portrait of the intricate ebbs and flows of friendship, and of a young adult trying to navigate the tempestuous waters of past traumas. Accessible and profoundly moving, Caddy, Rosie and Suzanne’s story is sure to resonate with many a young woman - a phenomenal feat for any writer, let alone a first-time novelist. ~ Joanne Owen
Teens love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Charnell Vevers 'Beautiful Broken Things manages to feel fresh and new, like it offers something different to the reader, something they haven't read before.'
- Natalie McCalla, age 17 - 'I really enjoyed this book and I absolutely loved the relationship between the different characters. My favourite part was seeing how the relationship between Caddy and Suzanna had grown throughout.'
- Cesca Anderson, age 14 - 'It has a roller coaster storyline that gripped me right until the end, I couldn't put it down!'
- Francesca Hughes, age 13 - 'Heart-breaking, emotive and fresh comes Barnard's debut novel. It’s hard to explain how much this book touched me.'
- Humaira Kauser, age 17 - 'A beautiful love story- not between a boy and a girl or anything romantic- about best friends and the stuff we do for our friends.'
- Jenny Duffy - 'This is very much a story of modern friendship...I think the ending was very realistic.'
- Megan West, age 14 - 'You know those books that are completely unforgettable? Those books that have a beauty that stays with you long after the final page? Well, this is one of those books.'
- Edel Waugh - I stayed up late into the night to finish this book and I am glad I did. The writing and the way the author makes you feel for these characters is truly inspiring. I loved this book.'
- Rebekah Marsh, age 13 - 'Beautiful Broken Things by Sara Barnard is truly inspiring, it shows that the incredible bond of friendship is truly powerful, no matter how much strain it comes under, it always survives.'
- Destiny Maraj, age 14 - 'I loved this novel! It was a really moving, dramatic, intense novel.'
- Olivia Dally-fitzsimons, age 12 - 'This book is really good.'
- Rhiannon, age 12 - 'This book is amazing; it’s an emotional rollercoaster and really makes you close to tears.'
Beautiful Broken Things by Sara Barnard
I was brave
She was reckless
We were trouble
Best friends Caddy and Rosie are inseparable. Their differences have brought them closer, but as she turns sixteen Caddy begins to wish she could be a bit more like Rosie - confident, funny and interesting. Then Suzanne comes into their lives: beautiful, damaged, exciting and mysterious, and things get a whole lot more complicated. As Suzanne's past is revealed and her present begins to unravel, Caddy begins to see how much fun a little trouble can be. But the course of both friendship and recovery is rougher than either girl realises, and Caddy is about to learn that downward spirals have a momentum of their own.
Beautiful Broken Things is a heart-stoppingly beautiful debut novel from emerging UKYA talent Sara Barnard. It’s a love story without romance, about what it means to be a friend when your whole life is falling apart. For all the arguments, misunderstandings, fallouts and tears, there’s no love quite like that shared between teenage girls. A beautiful tribute to the friendships that bind when you’re a teenage girl and still learning about life, and about yourself.
‘Beautiful Broken Things is the book I’ve been waiting for. It made me want to go and rugby-tackle my best friends and give them a giant hug. It’s a beautiful tale of the power and complexities of female friendship’ Holly Bourne, author of Am I Normal Yet?
‘Beautiful Broken Things is a book that the YA world desperately needs – a book about the beauty, passion and extremities of female friendship’ Alice Oseman, author of Solitaire
‘Starkly realistic and ultimately uplifting, Beautiful Broken Things is a compelling tale of pain and redemption, growing up and growing together, and finding empowerment and strength in friendship’ Catherine Doyle, author of Vendetta
‘Stories about female friendships are hard to come by, especially ones with no romance, but Beautiful Broken Things fills that gap in an intensely compelling and passionate way’ Lauren James, author of The Next Together
‘A gorgeous, bluntly honest story of friendship, hardships and rebuilding. This book captures that feeling of be-all and end-all best-friendship so brilliantly’ charlieinabook.weebly.com
About the Author
Interest Age: From 12
More books by Sara Barnard
Macmillan Children's Books an imprint of Pan Macmillan
11th February 2016
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14
LoveReading4Kids is a modern and creative way of emphasising the value and importance of books in this digital age #booksforlifeAmrit Bunet – Teen
Writing reviews help the children with their literacy skills and we always read the books together which gives us good quality family time!Cat Bisland (on behalf of the Bi
You give me age appropriate ideas of books I can read and buy for the children and find out what other children their age think of them too.Katie Lonsdale
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley
It’s a community united by a passion for books and promoting the best there is in children’s literature.Sam Bateman and family
I love ‘LoveReading 4 kids’ because they let you read and learn things you’d never dreamed of learning before.Emily Horncastle – age 11