How Hard Can Love be?
Written by Holly Bourne
Part of the The Spinster Club Series Series
Lovereading4kids Price £6.39
£7.99 saving £1.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
One of our Books of the Year 2016 | February 2016 Book of the Month Holly Bourne’s new novel demonstrates that with the right female friends, and a decent supply of cheesy snacks, a girl can get through anything. Amber is in America spending summer with the mum she hasn’t seen in two years. Outwardly Amber seems confident, brash even, but underneath she is full of insecurities, like most teens, and still deeply hurt by her mother’s decision to leave her. A romance with gorgeous Kyle – also not what he seems – helps her see herself and the world differently but her real support comes from best friends Evie and Lottie via their cheery, empowering Skype chats. Well-written and thoughtful, this has a thoroughly authentic twenty-first century teen voice and lightens serious issues with humour. ~ Andrea Reece
Teens love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Izzy Read, age 15 - 'Holly Bourne is one of my most favourite authors out there- she writes brutally honest, funny and relatable novels that capture what being a teenager is like.'
- Humaira Kauser, age 17 - 'This books melts me. It’s so funny and sweet. Absolutely loved it! Holly Bourne truly is the Queen of YA!'
- Megan Chambers, age 14 - 'This book was absolutely amazing! I could not put it down. I loved how it showed the story of The Spinster Club from Amber's point of view.'
- Farah Alam - 'This book is a very easy read, filled with a great love story, and great character development. Really enjoyed this book and really interested in reading more by Holly Bourne.'
- Destiny Maraj, age 14 - 'From the very first page I fell in love with this novel. It was funny, full of drama and at times it was an emotional rollercoaster.'
- Edel Waugh - 'I could not put this book down, I wanted to hug Amber so often as her pain practically bled off the page.'
- Jodi Coffman, age 14 - 'This book was extremely funny, heartwarming and very relatable.'
- Alex McCalla, age 16 - 'Love this book. Such an amazing author producing an amazing book.'
How Hard Can Love be? by Holly Bourne
From the acclaimed author of Am I Normal Yet? an hilarious and heart-rending tale - this is Amber’s story of how painful, and exhilarating, love can be. Amber, Evie and Lottie: three girls facing down tough issues with the combined powers of friendship, feminism and cheesy snacks.
All Amber wants is a bit of love from her estranged mum. And she's hoping that a summer together at Mum's Californian kids' camp will help patch up her shattered heart. But then she meets Prom King Kyle - and offers her heart up for breaking all over again. Even with BFFs Evie and Lottie's advice, Amber's finding love hard. Is it worth the fight?
“Finally, an author who GETS it.” – Emma Blackery, YouTuber
“Bourne’s books stand out in the word of young adult fiction.” – Emerald Street
“An involving look at feminism, friendship and the secrets we hide.” - The Observer on Am I Normal Yet?
About the Author
More books by Holly Bourne
Author's Facebook Latest
Usborne Publishing Ltd
1st February 2016
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley
It’s really exciting to read and review new books, thrilling to see my reviews online and I love finding the final published copies on sale.Sam Harper – age 10
We love Lovereading4kids because it promotes reading choices, new authors and a sense of community for children of all ages!Rachel Bridgeman
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7
I love all the books they recommend & put up for me to review. I also love the fact that they give new authors the chance to share their booDaisy Pennock – age 15
Writing reviews help the children with their literacy skills and we always read the books together which gives us good quality family time!Cat Bisland (on behalf of the Bi