Off the Page
Written by Jodi Picoult, Samantha Van Leer
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
May 2016 Book of the Month This companion novel to the bestselling Between the Lines also works wonderfully as a life-affirming standalone novel, and features a sprinkling of full-page colour illustrations that exude the feel-good nostalgic ambiance of traditional fairy tales.
Sixteen-year-old Delilah finally has her prince. Literally. Oliver has stepped from the pages of Delilah’s favourite fairy tale and is now a living, breathing teenage boy after having switched places with Edgar, son of the tale’s creator. Oliver turns more than a few heads at high school with his dashing good looks and social faux pas, including “doing the queen's wave as we head down the science wing” and being punched by the president of the LGBT Alliance for his unwittingly inappropriate use of the word 'fairy'. But while Oliver and Delilah are elated at being together, love in the real world isn’t entirely a bed of roses. Meanwhile, back in the fairy tale, (which has been given a sci-fi makeover), Edgar is also struggling and, when misfortune strikes the tale’s creator, the characters she gave life to are called upon to return the favour.
Whimsically entertaining throughout, Off the Page has a soft-centred heart that beats with the big themes of love, loss and searching for happy ever afters. “Home isn't where you are. It’s who you're with,” remarks the novel’s storyteller towards its end, which is an aptly warmhearted sentiment to come away with. ~ Joanne Owen
Teens love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews here.
- Amy Laws, age 14 - 'So imaginative and creative - I loved Off The Page from beginning to end.'
- Stacie Ball - 'Perfect for first time readers of Jodi Picoult, a sequel to Between The Lines or a standalone, Off The Page is sure to leave you smiling from ear to ear and full of happy feelings.'
- Alex McCalla, age 15 - 'Both are such amazing writers. Couldn't get my head out of the book!'
- Destiny Maraj, age 14 - 'an interesting and intriguing read with a fascinating and original storyline.'
- Freya Tilsley, age 13 - 'It made me laugh, it made me cringe and turn the page. Overall a really imaginative, brilliant take on a fairy tale.'
- Emma Hughes - 'I had finished this book within a day, it captures you into the magic of the story right from the first page. A very enjoyable read!'
- Edel Waugh - 'This was a tearjerker, heart-breaker book filled with smiles and hope. I loved these characters so much, and especially a loyal little dog called Frump.'
- Amelia White, age 16 - 'Amazing book, it's a story in a story about love and magic... A modern fairy tale!'
- Delilah Acworth - 'Off The Page was a charming romantic tale, splattered with comedy and heartthrob.'
- Izzy Read, age 15 - 'Off The Page is an exhilarating, comforting fairy tale that has crazy beautiful illustrations along with it.'
- Inés, age 15 - 'All in all it was an enjoyable book.'
Off the Page by Jodi Picoult, Samantha Van Leer
An enchanting YA novel from Number One bestselling author Jodi Picoult, co-written with her teenage daughter. Meant for each other ...Meet Oliver, a prince literally taken from the pages of a fairy tale and transported into the real world. Meet Delilah, the girl who wished Oliver into being. It's a miracle that seems perfect at first - but there are complications. To exist in Delilah's world, Oliver must take the place of a regular boy. Enter Edgar, who agrees to play Oliver's role in the pages of Delilah's favorite book. But just when it seems that the plan will work, everything gets turned upside down. In this multilayered universe, the line between what's on the page and what's possible is blurred. Is there a way for everyone to live happily ever after?
Off the Page is a stand-alone novel as well as the sequel to the authors' bestseller Between the Lines, and is perfect for readers looking for a fairytale ending.
'Unleash the child in you! She [Picoult] has teamed up with her daughter to write an adventure tale for teens, and it has plenty of action and romance to keep younger readers happy...' Heat
'For Twilight fans it should tick all the boxes.' Daily Mail
'In her first foray into teen fiction, Picoult and her co-author daughter deliver an enjoyable, metafictive twist on the traditional teen-romance novel ... Book lovers in particular are likely to get a kick out of the blurring of the lines between character and reader, fact and fiction ... Fizzy, fairy-tale fun' Kirkus Reviews
About the Author
Interest Age: From 12
Jodi Picoult, Samantha Van Leer
More books by Jodi Picoult, Samantha Van Leer
Author's Facebook Latest
Hodder Paperback an imprint of Hodder & Stoughton General Division
21st April 2016
I love Lovereading as it provides an honest opinion and showcases a range of fiction. Suited to both parents & kids alike, it’s a must-use.Georgie Rowe – age 16
Love “Lovereading4kids” as my son gets to hear about & read new books before his mates which keeps him interested in reading=a very happy MumLiz Evans
I have told all my friends, family & teachers to see for themselves just how great the site is. Without fail, they are hugely impressed.Alexander Boxall – age 11
We love Lovereading4kids because it promotes reading choices, new authors and a sense of community for children of all ages!Rachel Bridgeman
I love ‘LoveReading 4 kids’ because they let you read and learn things you’d never dreamed of learning before.Emily Horncastle – age 11
It has introduced my children to books we hadn’t come across before. Real children’s reviews gives a great insight into what others think toLorraine Woods
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7