Written by Jean Jullien
Lovereading4kids Price £8.79
£10.99 saving £2.20 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
The eye-catching graphic style of Ralf makes it look both timeless, and completely contemporary. The story begins conventionally – Ralf is a little dog, who takes up a lot of space; though his family love him, he always seems to turn up where he’s not wanted (in one scene he’s climbed into the shower with Mum). Then, while Ralf is sleeping outside in his kennel, the house catches fire. Ralf tries to wake the family, then runs to fetch the fire brigade. This is where the story gets delightfully surreal – with his bottom stuck in his dog flap, Ralf’s body stretches like rubber until he gets to be a very, very long dog, and that’s how he stays! A funny, stylish picture book, and kids will love Ralf. ~ Andrea Reece
Some of the younger members of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were lucky enough to read and review Hoot Owl, also illustrated by Jean Jullien.
- Robert Anderson, age 4 - 'Hilariously funny picture book with bright, colourful illustrations.' Read full review >
- Amatullah Khatun, age 4 - 'The bright colours and bold illustrations set against the inky black background make this book memorable. The illustrations are funny and complement the story well.' Read full review >
- Finley Wade, age 8 - 'I have enjoyed this book soooooooooooo much that I have read it lots and keep looking at the pictures.' Read full review >
- Eleanor, age 2 and Tanya - 'Hoot Owl had both myself and my two year old laughing out loud...This story is a firm favourite in our house at the moment.' Read full review >
- William Davies, age 2 - 'Hoot Owl is not only a master of disguise but also fun from start to end!...I expect this book will be added to the favourites. Very much enjoyed!!' Read full review >
Ralf by Jean Jullien
A charming and quirky picture book from important new talent Jean Jullien, whose first book, Hoot Owl,
sparked a bidding war between the major publishing houses both here and in the US.
Ralf is forever getting under his family's feet. But when a fire threatens to burn the house down, Ralf streches himself to the limit to save his family. A heartwarming and surreal picture book from important new talent Jean Jullien.
‘‘Clever visual humour, with bold graphics, an air of the surreal and a big heart’’ Fiona Noble, The Bookseller
About the Author
More books by Jean Jullien
Author's Facebook Latest
Frances Lincoln Childrens Books an imprint of Frances Lincoln Publishers Ltd
4th February 2016
I love Lovereading4kids because I get an opportunity to put my opinion forward and to try new booksElosie Clarkson – age 11
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14
Writing reviews help the children with their literacy skills and we always read the books together which gives us good quality family time!Cat Bisland (on behalf of the Bi
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley
I love all the books they recommend & put up for me to review. I also love the fact that they give new authors the chance to share their booDaisy Pennock – age 15
It is THE website to use for narrowing down your search for any book. Definitely knocks the socks off any other book review website.Nickey and Tomasz Hawryszczuk
You give me age appropriate ideas of books I can read and buy for the children and find out what other children their age think of them too.Katie Lonsdale
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East