The Sleeping Prince
Written by Melinda Salisbury
Part of the The Sin Eater's Daughter Series
Lovereading4kids Price £6.39
£7.99 saving £1.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
This spellbinding sequel to The Sin Eater’s Daughter heralds a welcome return to Salisbury’s rich realm of fantastical fiction.
“It’s hard to remain on the side of reason when a five-hundred-year-old fairy tale comes to life and lays waste to the castle and the people in the country next door,” remarks Errin, the novel’s narrator, when the merciless Sleeping Prince awakens and launches an attack with his army of alchemical golems. When a state of war is declared and with a sick mother to support, resourceful Errin puts her apothecary training to use by selling illegal herbs. That’s how she befriends Silas, a young man who buys her deadliest poisons. On seeing her mother’s condition, Silas gives Errin a mysterious elixir that eases her symptoms. After Errin learns what this powerful potion is, and what he is, Silas offers to escort them to a place of refuge, but he vanishes, forcing Errin to face the perils of the warring kingdom without him.
With plenty of high-octane action to keep the plot galloping apace, and a host of high-stake dilemmas, this all-round epic will be wolfed-down by fans of fantasy and fairy tale. ~ Joanne Owen
- Natalie Hunter, age 13 - 'absolutely loved it. The myths and lore of the lands the book is set in are beautiful and interesting and the characters are wonderful.'
- Sarah Murray, age 16 - 'it was so different from anything I could have possibly imagined...I highly recommend this book.'
- Ella Hollingshead, age 13 - 'Such an exciting read, full of unexpected plot twists!'
- Monisah Ali, age 16 - 'The first book of a wonderful trilogy from Melinda Salisbury will leave you breathless. The storyline hits you when you least expect it to. Utterly brilliant.'
- Izzy Read, age 14 - 'This book was very clever as not only did it have the Disney Princess idea of being trapped in a tower but it had the behind the scenes pawn sacrificing Game of Thrones angle to it to.'
- Stacie Ball - 'The Sin Eaters Daughter was one my most anticipated reads of 2015 and boy did the book deliver. Action, tick. Likeable characters and brilliant world building, tick. Get ready to be hooked!'
- Eloise Mae Clarkson - 'This book was brilliant, it contained action and adventure fantasy and a little bit of romance.'
- Farah Alam - 'I absolutely loved this book! . I really couldn't put it down and found myself needing to finish it.'
- Sophia Ufton - 'Wow, I at first thought I couldn't read this book but I'm glad I did! It was amazing!'
- Raimy Greenland - 'I was sucked in from the first few chapters and always wondered where the story was going.'
- Ella Grabsky, age 15 - 'This dystopian novel is a good read. There were some very interesting ideas and plot twists. However I don't think it was original enough to beat the likes of Hunger Games or Divergent.'
Win an original print from The Pavee and the Buffer Girl
Siobhan Dowd's powerful story of the fight against racism and prejudice, The Pavee and the Buffer Girl, has been reissued as a splendid graphic novel with stunning illustrations by Emma Shoard. We are giving away an ORIGINAL print from the book (shown here) and a copy SIGNED by Emma.
To have a chance of winning this special prize, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter, multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once.
The draw closes on 3 May 2017. The winners will be notified by 15 May 2017.
The Sleeping Prince by Melinda Salisbury
Return to the darkly beautiful world of The Sin Eater's Daughter with a sequel that will leave you awed, terrified ...and desperate for more. Ever since her brother Lief disappeared, Errin's life has gone from bad to worse. Not only must she care for her sick mother, she has to scrape together rent money by selling illegal herbal cures. But none of that compares to the threat of the vengeful Sleeping Prince whom the Queen just awoke from his enchanted sleep. When her village is evacuated as part of the war against the Sleeping Prince, Errin is left desperate and homeless. The only person she can turn to is the mysterious Silas, a young man who buys deadly poisons from Errin, but won't reveal why he needs them. Silas promises to help Errin, but when he vanishes, Errin must journey across a kingdom on the brink of war to seek another way to save her mother and herself. But what she finds splits the world as she knows it apart, and with the Sleeping Prince drawing nearer, Errin must make a heartbreaking choice that could affect the whole kingdom...
About the Author
More books by Melinda Salisbury
Scholastic Press an imprint of Scholastic
4th February 2016
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils
It’s a community united by a passion for books and promoting the best there is in children’s literature.Sam Bateman and family
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
LoveReading4Kids is a modern and creative way of emphasising the value and importance of books in this digital age #booksforlifeAmrit Bunet – Teen
We love Lovereading4kids because it promotes reading choices, new authors and a sense of community for children of all ages!Rachel Bridgeman
I think Lovereading4kids is an amazing company because of the friendly staff and the fabulous chance to read great books before publication.Adam Graham
This company is amazing; not only is it is a great opportunity to get books and review them but everyone is so friendly and supportive!Jemma Rubens, age 10
Writing reviews help the children with their literacy skills and we always read the books together which gives us good quality family time!Cat Bisland (on behalf of the Bi