The Incredible Adventures of Cinnamon Girl
Written by Melissa Keil
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
Shortlisted for the 2015 Inky Awards The imminent arrival of the end of the world is going to focus your attention on the important stuff, even if you’re a teenager in those special months between the end of school and the start of whatever is coming next. Alba lives in tiny Eden Valley miles from anywhere (this is Australia so miles means hundreds of miles). When a Youtube video announces the world will end in seventeen days and names Eden Valley as the only safe place to be thousands descend on the town, including Alba’s old school friend Daniel, who left aged ten. In the strange atmosphere, part carnival part doomsday, all emotions are magnified and Alba has at last to acknowledge what she wants for the future. Quirky, touching and unusual this is an appealing coming of age story with an original central character.
A Piece of Passion from editor, Emma Young It’s pretty much impossible not to fall in love with Alba, the protagonist of The Incredible Adventures of Cinnamon Girl. She’s a wise-cracking, polka-dot-headscarved, doughnut-loving whirlwind of energy who likes the way she looks, dresses according to her own rules, loves comics, has a weird and wonderful group of friends and is in possession of an enormous heart. As well as all that, she is currently freaking out in a major way about her future and the choices she needs to make. Alba’s stuck at a crossroads and you’ll want to be stapled to her side as she figures out what on earth comes next. This is contemporary YA at its most relevant – every teenager on the brink of adulthood will relate to Alba’s anxieties – and most entertaining.
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Ellen Faulkner, age 14 - 'I loved The Incredible Adventures of Cinnamon Girl. It was witty and beautifully written-and it would appeal to anybody, comic fan or not.'
- Humaira Kauser, age 17 - 'I wouldn't normally pick this type of book up. But I'm glad I did because I absolutely loved it! this book is flat out side-splittingly hilarious!'
- Edel Waugh - 'It's a story about growing up and finding yourself and seeing those around you change. Very enjoyable!'
- Melanie Chadwick - 'Alba is a great character who is a very talented comic artist; I now want to see her Cinnamon Girl creation published as a comic, now that would be great.'
- Megan West, age 14 - 'I think this book is light-hearted and enjoyable, with a warm, easy to follow plot. I like the characters and I think it is beautifully written.'
- Francesca Anderson, age 14 - 'The Incredible Adventures of Cinnamon Girl is a novel perfectly describing the troubles and insecurities facing teenagers today.'
- Rebekah Marsh, age 13 - 'Reading this book made me feel as I lived every moment making decisions as if I was Alba...It has that combination of emotion and humour that is pivotal to a young adult novella.'
- Amelia Corrick-Gough, age 14 - 'This book was really good! It took me a while to get into the book, but when I did I couldn't put it down! I loved all of the characters, and the way Alba's brain works.'
- Ella Hollingshead, age 14 - 'An exciting novel which captures your imagination. Readers are sure to enjoy.'
- Amelie Chatham, age 13 - 'The Incredible Adventures of Cinnamon Girl is a book that shows the ridiculous extremes some people will go to in the event of the end of the world.'
- Dahabo Wacays, age 17 - 'This was a light, funny read and perfect for all lovers of books! The narrator and protagonist, Alba, is so lovable and oozes confidence that you'd long to be her or with her.'
- Millie, age 15 - 'The Incredible Adventures of Cinnamon Girl was totally amazing and captivating. I absolutely loved the ending and the last few chapters were really satisfying, everything you wanted to happen did.'
- Jenny Duffy - 'Grady and Alba’s friendship was pitch perfect, and the book has both laugh-out-loud moments and genuinely moving scenes.'
- Rachel Bridgeman - 'A brilliant apocalyptic novel with comedy, great characters and comic strips, and attitude. What's not to love?'
The Incredible Adventures of Cinnamon Girl by Melissa Keil
A funny and unique feel-good read about how to keep on being yourself when everything around you is changing, perfect for fans of Rainbow Rowell, Non Pratt and John Green.
From award-winning author Melissa Keil comes an addictive, offbeat young adult contemporary novel. The story follows Alba, a modern sassy heroine that channels individuality, promotes body confidence and reflects the hopes and anxieties of readers about to take their next adventurous steps into the unknown.
For some people making decisions in life comes easy, for Alba things aren’t that straightforward. Alba loves her life just as it is. She loves living behind the bakery, and waking up in a cloud of sugar and cinnamon. She loves drawing comics and watching bad TV with her friends. The only problem is she’s overlooked a few teeny details: Like, the guy she thought long gone has unexpectedly reappeared. And her best friend since forever has suddenly gone off the rails. And even her latest comic-book creation is misbehaving. Oh and it’s apparently the end of the world - which is proving to be quite awkward.
As Doomsday enthusiasts flock to idyllic Eden Valley, Alba’s life is thrown into chaos. Can she figure things out in time?
Author's note on the inspiration behind writing The Incredible Adventures of Cinnamon Girl Cinnamon Girl was inspired by a few things – I wanted to write a character who was an artist and a comic book fan (partly because I loved the idea of a character who had such a rich visual approach to her world, partly so I could indulge my desire to read a lot of comic books). I wanted to write a book set in a small town, as I’d spent some time in a farming town while I was writing my first book, and I fell in love with it as a location for a story. The catalyst for the book though was a little article I stumbled on in the back pages of a newspaper, a story about a tiny town in France that inadvertently became the centre of a doomsday prediction. The potential end-of-the-world seemed like a pretty fitting metaphor for my main character, Alba, and her journey at a very transitional moment in her life.
She struggles to leave the only life she's known behind and venture out into the world, which is something I too experienced when I finished school all those years ago. Kelly, Diva Booknerd Blog
She doesn't need a boyfriend and doesn't seek the approval of others for validation. She's what teen girls should be portrayed as. Kelly, Goodreads
About the Author
Interest Age: From 12
More books by Melissa Keil
Author's Facebook Latest
Stripes Publishing an imprint of Little Tiger Press Group
11th February 2016
I love Lovereading as it provides an honest opinion and showcases a range of fiction. Suited to both parents & kids alike, it’s a must-use.Georgie Rowe – age 16
I love lovereading4kids because I’ve read amazing books I would never have picked up, and its opened doors to new genre’s I now love.Harriet Cunningham
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
I love ‘LoveReading 4 kids’ because they let you read and learn things you’d never dreamed of learning before.Emily Horncastle – age 11
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils
You give me age appropriate ideas of books I can read and buy for the children and find out what other children their age think of them too.Katie Lonsdale
We love Lovereading4kids because it promotes reading choices, new authors and a sense of community for children of all ages!Rachel Bridgeman