All the Rage
Written by Courtney Summers
Lovereading4kids Price £6.39
£7.99 saving £1.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
One of our Books of the Year 2016 | February 2016 Book of the Month A deeply powerful novel for emotionally mature readers about surviving rape, speaking out and the ways in which women are forced to burden the blame for misogynist brutalities.
Romy goes missing on the night of the notorious annual lake party and wakes up on the roadside. When it emerges that another girl, Penny, went missing that same night, people turn on Romy again. They accuse her of diverting police attention from the search for Penny, believing that Romy getting ‘wasted’ and winding up on the roadside was another manifestation of her attention-seeking tendencies. For a time Romy bears the abuse, but knows she has to break her silence about what really happened that night.
This is a smartly written, suitably stark exploration of what it’s like to be a girl in a world in which female voices are silenced, women’s bodies are objectified, and the lives of accused “promising” young men are valued more than those of the women they've assaulted. It’s hugely important that stories like Romy’s are told, and Summers does it with remarkable poise. ~ Joanne Owen
“It is absolutely critical that we stand against rape culture. Girls matter, their stories matter, and All the Rage is my way of letting them know” Courtney Summers
In addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read the full reviews here.
- Zara Kazi - 'Truly an eye-opening and gripping book that shines light on the repercussions of rape. A must-read for everyone.'
- Charlotte Teresa Donovan - 'Rollercoaster of a book that will take you on a journey of one girl who blames herself for something out of her control. A girl trying to regain her innocence before she loses herself. 10/10 book!'
- Dahabo Wacays - 'This book held so much importance for me as a reader and as a girl. It is an incredible journey of a girl surviving and coming out strong after her ordeal. It also teaches you and delivers a message.'
- Stacie Ball - 'Courtney Summers never fails to deliver a gritty, raw and realistic look into the life of a teenager. All The Rage is sure to leave you on the edge of your seat, dying to know what happens next.'
- Megan Brown - 'In her powerful new novel, Courtney Summers articulately addresses the ever-prevalent issue of rape culture and the devastating impact of turning a blind eye to it.'
- Ayesha - 'This was such a poignant and powerful book to read, it definitely made me shed some tears while reading certain scenes.'
- Edel Waugh - 'a tense story with plenty of mystery...If you enjoyed books like ‘We Were Liars’ then I think you will enjoy this.'
- Sophia - 'Wow after reading this story, I was lost for words, it was just astounding! Amazing plot! Brilliant!'
- Jane Brown - 'A beautiful piece of writing, a must read from a great author.'
- Humaira Kauser - 'I don’t really know what to say about this book. It’s written with heart-felt conviction, it feels so real and keeps you awake at night, just thinking about it.'
All the Rage by Courtney Summers
All the Rage is an astonishing and starkly written novel, examining the shame and silence inflicted upon young women in a culture that refuses to protect them. A powerful portrayal of what it means to be a girl, speaking up and being a survivor.
The footsteps stop but the birds are still singing, singing about a girl who wakes up on a dirt road and doesn't know what happened to her the night before... Romy Grey wears her lipstick like armour, ever since the night she was raped by Kellan Turner, the sheriff's son. Romy refuses to be a victim, but speaking up has cost her everything. No one wants to believe Kellan is not the golden boy they thought he was, and Romy has given up trying to make herself heard. But when another girl goes missing after a party, Romy must decide whether the cost of her silence might be more than she can bear.
“Timely and turbulent” MTV.com
“All the Rage illustrates the insidious nature of victim blaming and communities that insulate their golden boys, as well as the many emotions that survivors cycle through. This story doesn’t hold back, at all, taking you directly into the maelstrom of being a teenage girl.” Rookie
“The narrative never shies from its charged subject, and Summers portrays the unforgiving mind-set of Grebe’s citizens with grim realism. Through its resolution is neither tidy nor simple, Romy’s powerful story creates a space for change” Publisher’s Weekly
About the Author
Interest Age: From 14
More books by Courtney Summers
Macmillan an imprint of Pan Macmillan
28th January 2016
LoveReading4Kids is a modern and creative way of emphasising the value and importance of books in this digital age #booksforlifeAmrit Bunet – Teen
I love all the books they recommend & put up for me to review. I also love the fact that they give new authors the chance to share their booDaisy Pennock – age 15
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14
We love Lovereading4kids because it promotes reading choices, new authors and a sense of community for children of all ages!Rachel Bridgeman
I love Lovereading4kids because I get an opportunity to put my opinion forward and to try new booksElosie Clarkson – age 11
It’s a community united by a passion for books and promoting the best there is in children’s literature.Sam Bateman and family
A great way to introduce kids to great books, authors & genres. Parents can find age-appropriate books to share with their children.Judi Davies – Aberdare Girls Sch
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils