The Great Cycle Challenge
Written by Chris Hoy
Illustrated by Clare Elsom
Lovereading4kids Price £3.99
£4.99 saving £1.00 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
The second in Chris Hoy’s cycling-with-a-touch-of-magic series sees Fergus and his friends Daisy, Callum and Minnie form their own cycling team, Hercules’ Hopefuls. They may not have brand new bikes, or fancy jerseys like their arch rivals Wallace’s Winners, but they’ve got lots of heart, and sometimes that what counts. It’s a classic children’s sports story, with a fun cast of characters, made even more lively by Fergus’s visits to a magical world, Nevermore. Not only does Fergus learn a lot about teamwork on his magical adventures, there’s also a clue as to the whereabouts of his dad, not seen since Fergus was a baby. A successful mix of pedal-action, friendship and fantasy adventure, this is a very satisfying story for newly confident readers. Clare Elsom’s lively illustrations add to the fun.
Emma Matthewson, Editor, Hot Key Books, said: “Sir Chris has already provided a lasting legacy of inspiration to young people with his tremendous list of achievements. What drew me to Flyign Fergus was a genuine warmth and heart to the books and Sir Chris’s clear dedication to the next generation. We can’t wait to see young cyclists across the country enjoy reading about their new hero!”
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review The Best Birthday Bike, also by Chris Hoy. You can read their full reviews here.
- Rachel Zinkin, age 9 - 'I thought this book was brilliant, not only because he got a bike for his ninth birthday just like me, but because his was magical.'
- Pelayo Primo de Rivera, age 9 - 'Fergus receives a rusty old bike for his birthday, with the help of his grandpa it is transformed but will he win the race?'
- Daniel Bisland, age 8 - 'I really liked this book because it was funny, imaginative and a great story to read!'
- Hannah, age 8 - 'I really enjoyed this book because of the characters,and the story itself...I can't wait to read the next book.'
- George Daniels, age 7 - 'Flying Fergus is inspiring in lots of ways and made me believe in aiming to achieve success against the odds.'
- Freddie Barth von Wehrenalp, age 8 - 'A magical adventure which gives me a real treat at bedtime.'
- Bobby Earl, age 9 - 'I loved this book and it was great to read a book about cycling as I am mad about bikes.'
- Lewis Briggs, age 9 - 'The book was fabulous! I really enjoyed reading it. It was humorous, full of fantasy and gave great imagery in my mind...I would definitely recommend this book, especially if you like cycling.'
- Tomasz Hawryszczuk, age 10 - 'A really great story, perfect for younger readers between aged 6 and 9 years old, especially reluctant readers as the print is quite big and there are lots of fantastic illustrations.'
- Gabriel, age 10 - 'I like this book because it inspires people to achieve their dreams even though they don't have the latest brands...Its easy to read and a real page turner.'
- Phoebe Allan, age 10 - 'I recommend this book for age 7-9. It is quite simple although it still has some hard words. However the majoroty of the book is direct speech.'
- Kamran Mustfa, age 7 - 'It's a super book. It all starts off when he thinks he's a loser.'
Win a Beast Quest Goodie Bag!
To mark the 10th Birthday of The Beast Quest series we are giving away THREE goodie bags filled with Beast Quest treats including temporary tattoos, pens, a printed bag and books from the series!
To have a chance of winning one of these super prizes, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter, multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once.
The draw closes on 29 May 2017. The winners will be notified by 5 June 2017.
The Great Cycle Challenge by Chris Hoy
Fergus is a boy with a big imagination and a very special bike. He is also the first member of the Hercules Hopefuls cycling team, set up by Grandpa Herc to fight off their arch rivals, Wallace's Wheels. Fergus's friend Daisy would love to join the team too, but she doesn't have a bike - her mum thinks everything fun is dangerous. Maybe Grandpa Herc and Fergus can do up a bike from scratch for Daisy, with parts from Grandpa's junk shop? Now it is just Daisy's mum they need to persuade...
Meanwhile Fergus takes a magical trip to Nevermore, where he and Princess Lily discover a magical compass bell once owned by Fergus's dad. Can the bell provide a clue to the whereabouts of Fergus's long-lost Dad?
With fantastic illustrations from Clare Elsom.
Sir Chris Hoy has written his stories with the help of Joanna Nadin.
About the Author
Interest Age: From 5
More books by Chris Hoy
Hot Key Books
25th February 2016
Hot Key Books is an imprint of Hot Key
Hot Key Books, a division of Bonnier Publishing, publish stand out, quality fiction, for 9 – 19 year olds, print and digital that people like to talk about. If you are looking for something a little bit different from your books, something a little bit special then Hot Key Books may well have just what you want.
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14
Lovereading is just a convenient way to find new books and hear others opinions on them.Sarah Murray – age 15
Lovereading4kids is great, we get books really early never late. We love to read and review, and think you would like it too. The excitementJasmine Harris-Hart, age 12
I love ‘LoveReading 4 kids’ because they let you read and learn things you’d never dreamed of learning before.Emily Horncastle – age 11
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
At @HHSHaringey we love @lovereading4kids because our pupils can practice reviewing & get free upcoming books before anyone else!Helen Swinyard – Heartlands High
It is THE website to use for narrowing down your search for any book. Definitely knocks the socks off any other book review website.Nickey and Tomasz Hawryszczuk
It’s a community united by a passion for books and promoting the best there is in children’s literature.Sam Bateman and family