Written by Derek Landy
Part of the The Demon Road Trilogy Series
Lovereading4kids Price £6.39
£7.99 saving £1.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
March 2016 Book of the Month Buckle up, because you are in for a hell of a ride! Amber’s parents strike readers – and her – as eccentric, but nothing prepares her for the awful truth, revealed on her sixteenth birthday: they are demons, and so is she. Not that that will stop them from killing and eating her. Fleeing her parents, Amber embarks on a road-trip like no other. In the company of inscrutable bodyguard Miles and Glen, a gormless Irish hitchhiker with supernatural issues of his own, she speeds down America’s Dark Highway, careering from one terrifying encounter with something nasty and dead to another, racing to complete a deal with the boss demon to save her life. An exhilarating mix of comedy and thrills, Demon Road had me laughing out loud one minute, jumping out of my seat the next: hard to believe that something this gory should be so much fun! Unmissable! ~ Andrea Reece
Teens love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Poppy, age 16 - 'Derek Landy is writing at his usual exceeding high standards, 'Demon Road' is suspenseful, terrifying, gripping, funny, saddening, heart-stopping and intensely awesome! And I absolutely loved it.'
- Charnell Vevers - 'The story itself is one that is action-packed from beginning to end. I found it impossible to put this book down because I had to know what would happen next.'
- Hamaira Kauser, age 17 - 'Great book. Loved the concept of it!'
- Emily Kinder, age 14 - 'This book is amazing - unbelievably fast paced and full of action. A demon child who doesn't even know what they are? Derek Landy just got even better.'
- Christie Heaven - 'Demon Road is a book that will not just be loved by children but by all!'
- Millie Moss, age 15 - 'Demon Road is an incredible book. You never truly know what is coming next.'
- Lewis Duckworth, age 13 - 'Fast paced and gripping. Here is another fantastic book made by Derek Landy. Demon road is an amazing book for people who like un-human things and action. Should be ranged to children around 12+.'
- Edel Waugh - 'Okay, prepare for gushing! I loved this!'
- Georgia Dawson - 'I ABSOLUTELY loved this book. Best book I’ve ever read so far! It just amazes me how interesting it is.'
- Imogen Breaks, age 12 - 'Amber is on the run from her parents, on the Demon Road. A maze of twisting roads through America that are never the same route twice. She has 504 hours to find the man who disappeared 20 years ago.'
- Alistair Sutherland, age 15 - 'If she runs her parents will find her eventually and she will die. If she hides her parents will find her and she will die. If she fights she will die. Read this book to find out if she survives…'
- Chloe Shortall, age 19 - 'I would recommend this novel to any fans of the Supernatural TV series, as well as fans of supernatural creatures and novels.'
- Jenny Duffy - 'As always, Landy’s dialogue is cracking and there are twists and turns aplenty.'
Win an original print from The Pavee and the Buffer Girl
Siobhan Dowd's powerful story of the fight against racism and prejudice, The Pavee and the Buffer Girl, has been reissued as a splendid graphic novel with stunning illustrations by Emma Shoard. We are giving away an ORIGINAL print from the book (shown here) and a copy SIGNED by Emma.
To have a chance of winning this special prize, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter, multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once.
The draw closes on 3 May 2017. The winners will be notified by 15 May 2017.
Demon Road by Derek Landy
THE EPIC NEW THRILLER BEGINS. The creator of the number one bestselling Skulduggery Pleasant series returns with the story of a girl on the run from everything she loves...and the monsters that await her. For anyone who ever thought their parents were monsters...Amber Lamont is a normal sixteen-year-old. Smart but insecure, she spends most of her time online, where she can avoid her beautiful, aloof parents and their weird friends. But when a shocking encounter reveals a horrifying secret, Amber is forced to go on the run. Killer cars, vampires, undead serial killers and red-skinned, horned demons - Amber hurtles from one threat to the next, revealing the terror woven into the very fabric of her life. As her parents close in behind her, Amber's only chance rests with her fellow travellers, who are not at all what they appear to be...
Witty, action-packed and heart-stoppingly thrilling, Demon Road will take you on an epic road-trip across the supernatural landscape of America.
'With an engaging story, weird and wonderful characters and a dash of teenage angst, Demon Road is one highway you'll want to go down.' SciFiNow
'Landy's done it again.' SFX Magazine
PRAISE FOR THE SKULDUGGERY PLEASANT SERIES:
'This is a writer at the height of his powers and Landy is getting better with every book... Whatever your age, read them and enjoy the ride.' - Irish Independent
'Fast and funny' The Times
About the Author
More books by Derek Landy
Author's Facebook Latest
HarperCollins Children's Books an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers
25th February 2016
It’s really exciting to read and review new books, thrilling to see my reviews online and I love finding the final published copies on sale.Sam Harper – age 10
I think Lovereading4kids is an amazing company because of the friendly staff and the fabulous chance to read great books before publication.Adam Graham
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7
Writing reviews help the children with their literacy skills and we always read the books together which gives us good quality family time!Cat Bisland (on behalf of the Bi
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils
LoveReading4Kids is a modern and creative way of emphasising the value and importance of books in this digital age #booksforlifeAmrit Bunet – Teen
At @HHSHaringey we love @lovereading4kids because our pupils can practice reviewing & get free upcoming books before anyone else!Helen Swinyard – Heartlands High
I love finding new books to read. My mummy and me look at the new ones coming out. I have written reviews of some of them!Jessica Cobbin – age 7