The Person Controller
Written by David Baddiel
Illustrated by Jim Field
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
David Baddiel allows his imagination free-rein in his new novel for children, with hilarious results. Ellie is – understandably – upset when her video game controller gets stuck in the cheeks of her father’s Y-front-panted bottom. It no longer works properly, and anyway, she doesn’t want to touch it – would you? A weird online encounter with someone calling himself the Mystery Man results in the arrival of a brand new controller, and then things get very strange indeed. Kids who enjoy computer games will relish this nutty fantasy adventure. For all its zany plot and absurd situations, it’s firmly rooted in a sharply observed real world and this, combined with Baddiel’s ability to tell jokes really well, is what makes the humour so effective. ~ Andrea Reece
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Alex Faulkner, age 11 - 'David Baddiel's second book is an exciting book that will appeal to anyone who plays video games...one of the best I've ever read.'
- Mila Humphryes, age 8 - 'I found this story amazing, weird and mysterious.'
- Tomasz Hawryszczuk, age 10 - 'Best book ever! I couldn't put this down and highly recommend this to any reluctant readers as I don't think there is anyone who wouldn't enjoy reading this! SO funny. A real laugh out loud book.'
- Ellen Cox, age 8 - 'This book is funny and surprising. It made me laugh and it made me cry. It's a very, very good book.'
- Isaac East, age 9 - 'This is a really good book about a set of twins and a games console which can control people. My favourite character is Fred as he makes me laugh out loud.'
- Jenna Welch, age 11 - 'I found The Person Controller absolutely hilarious, rib-cracking in fact.'
- Phoenix Williams, age 7 - 'This book is really funny and exciting, I didn't want to put it down. It made me laugh out loud.'
- Edward Bailey, age 10 - 'This is a gripping read! You just want to know what they do next! I'm not gonna forget this any time soon!'
- Sam Harper, age 11 - 'A magic person controller, revenge, hopes, dreams and chaos. A hilarious story with a very fitting ‘be-careful-what-you-wish-for’ theme. This is fantastic!'
- Erica Motoc, age 9 - 'The Person Controller is a very good book. It also makes me smack up with laughter.'
- Cora Willans, age 9 - 'This is a mystery and adventure story.'
- Oliver Cooper, age 11 - 'Brilliant and funny one of the best books I have read!'
- Emily Walklett, age 11 - 'A brilliant, funny book, suitable for girls, boys, video gamers and footballers, and for those who like stories a bit different! I loved it!'
- Daniel Bisland, age 8 and Alexander Bisland, age 10 - 'Who could know a replacement controller could change your life! It’s videogame-tastic!'
- Romilly Dally-Fitzsimons, age 8 - 'This book is brilliant...even my mum loved it!'
The Person Controller by David Baddiel
From the author of The Parent Agenc comes a thrilling, funny and touching new adventure.
Fred and Ellie are twins. But not identical (because that's impossible for a boy and a girl). They do like all the same things, though. Especially video games. Which they are very good at. They aren't that good, however, at much else - like, for example, football, or dealing with the school bullies. Then, they meet the Mystery Man, who sends them a video game controller, which doesn't look like any other controller they've ever seen. And it doesn't control any of their usual games. When the twins find out what it does control, though, it seems like the answer to all their problems. And the key to all their wildest dreams. At least it seems like that...
Whether it’s scoring the winning goal in the biggest football match of the season or standing up to the mean school bullies, we’re all capable of more than we think.
A perfect combination of humour, magic and a happy ending. Charlotte Norman, Waterstones Bookseller
A real page turner... a compelling story with relatable characters and meaningful life lessons. Huffington Post
Reviews for The Parent Agency:
Funny, sometimes moving, always engaging Guardian
I love this book because it really made me laugh! The best book I've read since I was born! Tom, 11, LoveReading4Kids
Exciting and funny - I didn't want to put it down! Daisy, 10, LoveReading4Kids
About the Author
Interest Age: From 9
More books by David Baddiel
Author's Facebook Latest
HarperCollins Children's Books an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers
25th February 2016
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils
I have told all my friends, family & teachers to see for themselves just how great the site is. Without fail, they are hugely impressed.Alexander Boxall – age 11
It is THE website to use for narrowing down your search for any book. Definitely knocks the socks off any other book review website.Nickey and Tomasz Hawryszczuk
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East
Lovereading4kids is great, we get books really early never late. We love to read and review, and think you would like it too. The excitementJasmine Harris-Hart, age 12
I love Lovereading because I often never know what to read and this helps you find a good book. I have recommended this to many people.Shannon-Louise Masters – age 15
You give me age appropriate ideas of books I can read and buy for the children and find out what other children their age think of them too.Katie Lonsdale
I love lovereading4kids because I’ve read amazing books I would never have picked up, and its opened doors to new genre’s I now love.Harriet Cunningham