Written by Shane Hegarty
Part of the Darkmouth Series
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
The story of Darkmouth, seaside town and gateway to other nastier worlds, continues! Twelve year old Finn is one of the last of the Legend Hunters, but not a particularly lucky one. His father is missing, trapped on the Infested Side, and when Finn finally finds a way in to rescue him it’s with an officious, impractically dressed administrator from the Council of Twelve, no Desiccator and a half-working radio - things don’t look good. This new helping of Darkmouth adventures is even more fun than the first: the monsters are scarier, the gadgets are gadgetier, the jokes are smoother and Finn’s relationship with friend and helper Emmie is nicely established. An inventive, entertaining page-turner. ~ Andrea Reece
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can click here to read their full reviews.
- Sam Harper, age 11 - 'I was totally blown away by this brilliant adventure. A fantastic series which I’m sure you’ll love. I can’t wait for the third instalment.'
- James Goodall, age 9 - 'I really liked Darkmouth because it had all the things of a great adventure book. It was gripping and tense and at some points I did not even want to put the book down. Pick this book up when it comes out because it is AMAZING!'
- Liam Pickering, age 12 - 'I adored this book. It definitely gripped me and kept me reading. I just couldn't put it down. I would highly recommend this book but would advise you to read the first book before this one.'
- Edward Bailey, age 10 - 'I loved this because it made the scene come to life around me. I couldn't put it down!'
- Alice East, age 10 - 'This was the second installment in the ‘Darkmouth’ series and it is just as gripping as the first. The second book continues the adventures of Finn and Emmie as they together search for Finn's lost dad.'
- Joshua Zinkin, age 10 - 'This is a fantastic book with lots of exciting things happening.'
- Holly Wilkins - 'Monsters, rescuing and Legends...This book was very gripping and I could not wait to find out what happens next. '
- Tomasz Hawryszczuk - 'If you like adventure stories based in a fantasy world with some humour thrown in, this is the book for you. I would highly recommend it to boys and girls over the age of 9.'
- Gabriel Phelan, age 11 - 'This book has a mythical and intriguing flow throughout and appealed to me in many ways. I rate this book 10/10 topping many of my other review books.'
- Jennifer Towler, age 10 - 'I liked the book because I liked the characters, Finn, Emmie and Estravon.'
Worlds Explode by Shane Hegarty
The second book in the monstrously funny and action-packed new series: Darkmouth. It's going to be legendary. The adventures of the most unfortunate Legend Hunter ever to don fighting armour and pick up a Dessicator continue...On a list of things Finn never thought he'd wish for, a gateway bursting open in Darkmouth was right up there. But that's about his only hope for finding his missing father. He's searched for a map, he's followed Steve into dead ends, but found nothing. And he's still got homework to do. But soon Finn and Emmie must face bizarre Legends, a ravenous world and a face from the past as they go where no Legend Hunter has gone before. Or, at least, where no legend Hunter has gone before and returned with their limbs in the correct order.
Hilarious and exciting. Terrifying and heart-stopping. Everything a great fantasy series should be. The next big thing is here. Eoin Colfer, author of Artemis Fowl
Hegarty writes surely, unpretentiously and amusingly, drawing up beguiling characters and constructing a plot which simply skips along. Great for primary school children studying myths and legends. The Times
Hegarty understands the importance of humour for young readers. One of the great pleasures of being scared is the release of laughter that comes afterwards, and Darkmouth is peppered with sly, gentle wit. The Irish Times
Believe the hype. The relationship between the young hero and his father is touching and real. There are touches of Ghostbusters, along with some Bond-like gadgets, plus a rather Dickensian setting (the mist-swirling town of Darkmouth). A stunning fantasy adventure. Sarah Webb
About the Author
Interest Age: From 9
More books by Shane Hegarty
HarperCollins Children's Books an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers
31st December 2015
I have told all my friends, family & teachers to see for themselves just how great the site is. Without fail, they are hugely impressed.Alexander Boxall – age 11
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14
I love finding new books to read. My mummy and me look at the new ones coming out. I have written reviews of some of them!Jessica Cobbin – age 7
You give me age appropriate ideas of books I can read and buy for the children and find out what other children their age think of them too.Katie Lonsdale
I love all the books they recommend & put up for me to review. I also love the fact that they give new authors the chance to share their booDaisy Pennock – age 15
It is THE website to use for narrowing down your search for any book. Definitely knocks the socks off any other book review website.Nickey and Tomasz Hawryszczuk
I think Lovereading4kids is an amazing company because of the friendly staff and the fabulous chance to read great books before publication.Adam Graham
A great way to introduce kids to great books, authors & genres. Parents can find age-appropriate books to share with their children.Judi Davies – Aberdare Girls Sch