The World According to Humphrey
Written by Betty G. Birney
Lovereading4kids Price £4.79
£5.99 saving £1.20 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
Read this, and you’ll never see a pet in the same way again! A hamster-eye view of school, families and having fun takes readers on a roller-coaster of human/pet relationships. Classroom pet Humphrey gets to go home each weekend with a different pupil. It’s a steep learning curve as he learns to handle all kinds of weird behaviour both human and animal. Humphrey’s diary is a joy to read. ~ Julia Eccleshare
- Toby Pickering, age 7 - 'I really enjoyed reading this story and look forward to reading about Humphreys other adventures.'
- Jemima Wilcox, age 10 - 'There some bad secrets, some good secrets, and some very badly kept ones! You will like this book if you like hamsters.'
- Alexander Bisland,age 8 - 'I recommend this to 7+ readers who are adventurers and who want to laugh their socks off...I give this book 10/10 especially because of Humphrey’s Secret Scribbles which made me want to read more!'
- Jessica McKenna, Year 3 - 'This was my first Humphrey book but it won't be my last. I found Humphrey very funny and entertaining.'
- Jenny Bridgeman, age 8 - 'This was a really lovely book, short chapters, an engaging main character and lots to learn about Egypt. It was a really good read!!'
- Elspeth Paterson, age 9 - 'I really loved this comical book about a little hamster named Humphrey. It shows even wee hamsters have to keep humungous secrets from their best friends.'
- Faye Dawson, age 8 - 'To all Humphrey fans, you should read this book, especially if you like secrets and surprises...'
- Hannah Pendell, age 9 - 'Ssshhh! can you keep a secret? Secrets according to Humphrey is fantastic book! Secret clubs are going on in the classroom, Egypt projects ruined and way to many secrets!'
- Evie Young, age 8 - 'If you've read other Humphrey books you will like this one too, it is full of adventures and secrets.'
- Alice East, age 9 - 'This is the latest adventure of Humphrey, a classroom pet hamster who has adventures when he escapes from his cage. It is a really funny book as Humphrey understands what humans are saying but they don't understand him.'
- Daniel Hirsh, age 10 - 'The hamster, Humphrey is really clever, he lives in Room Twenty-Six and watches everything that happens in the class, including the things which the teacher doesn't notice.'
- Matilda Greenacre, age 7 - 'This book continues Humphreys adventures in Room 26, as the class hamster. This time the book is all about ancient Egypt.'
The World According to Humphrey by Betty G. Birney
Faber's bestselling hamster series is given a smart new livery, repositioning our favourite as a perennial classic character, sitting alongside the likes of Winnie the Pooh and Wind in Willows.
'The time had arrived to put my Plan into action. I was in grave danger and I had no choice. I only had one weapon: a rubber band. It had taken me a long time to get it hooked around the edge of my food dish. Now I carefully pulled it back as far as I could, aiming directly at those big doggy nostrils.'
You can learn a lot about life by observing another species. That's what Humphrey was told when he was bought as a classroom pet for Room 26. And it's definitely true!
In addition to his classroom escapades, each weekend he gets to sleep over with a different student like Stop-Giggling-Gail and Repeat-That-Please-Richie. Humphrey learns to read, write, shoot rubber bands and much more. With adventures galore, Humphrey's life would be absolutely perfect if only the teacher, Mrs Brisbane, wasn't out to get him...
About the Author
Betty G. Birney
More books by Betty G. Birney
Faber & Faber
3rd March 2016
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7
LoveReading4Kids is a modern and creative way of emphasising the value and importance of books in this digital age #booksforlifeAmrit Bunet – Teen
I love lovereading4kids because I’ve read amazing books I would never have picked up, and its opened doors to new genre’s I now love.Harriet Cunningham
I love Lovereading4kids because I get an opportunity to put my opinion forward and to try new booksElosie Clarkson – age 11
Writing reviews help the children with their literacy skills and we always read the books together which gives us good quality family time!Cat Bisland (on behalf of the Bi
I love all the books they recommend & put up for me to review. I also love the fact that they give new authors the chance to share their booDaisy Pennock – age 15
A great way to introduce kids to great books, authors & genres. Parents can find age-appropriate books to share with their children.Judi Davies – Aberdare Girls Sch
I think Lovereading4kids is an amazing company because of the friendly staff and the fabulous chance to read great books before publication.Adam Graham