Julius Zebra: Bundle with the Britons
Written by Gary Northfield
Illustrated by Gary Northfield
Part of the Julius Zebra Series
Lovereading4kids Price £7.99
£9.99 saving £2.00 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
Hail Julius Zebra! Star of a brilliant new series by former Beano cartoonist Gary Northfield, Julius Zebra is far more likely to turn kids onto the Romans than any number of visits to museums or even Hadrian’s Wall. Julius is zebra turned gladiator, and in this second episode firmly established as the people’s champion. Hadrian has promised him his freedom but decides instead to send Julius to Britannia, what better way to impress the revolting inhabitants than with a fighting zebra! Of course, things don’t go to plan. The story line is nutty, and very funny, while the facts about life in Rome and Britain totally accurate. Northfield’s drawings are wonderful too – you’ll believe a zebra can wield a sword! ~ Andrea Reece
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Daniel Bisland, age 8 - 'I would recommend it to reluctant readers as there are lots of great pictures which help with the story. I give it 5/5. I would love to read another book in this series.'
- Monty Benton, age 8 - 'It was really funny to read with the characters but also find out about history. Julius and his friends' plans never go to plan and that's what's funny!'
- Alex Hall, age 10 - 'This book was absolutely amazing. I liked it because it is full of humour and the author obviously has a vivid imagination. I couldn't put it down and I laughed out loud lots!'
- Cora Willans, age 9 - 'Amazingly hilarious and full of excitement!'
- Emily Lonsdale, age 10 - 'A very funny book for animal and action lovers.'
Some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review the first title in the Julius Zebra series, Rumble with the Romans. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Emily Lonsdale, age 9 - 'I loved it because I am doing the Romans at school at the moment...I liked all the funny bits especially when the Zebra was being chased by a lion.'
- Alex Hall, age 9 - 'This book is about a zebra called Julius, who gets caught by some Romans...I also liked the illustrations and the way you have to read the speech bubbles to read the story.'
- Bethany, age 8 - 'I like how the comic style illustrations carry on the story rather than just being a 'picture on a page'...It is a bit like 'diary of a wimpy zebra!’'
- Review by Bethany’s Mum - 'I could see both boys and girls reading it and also that it might tempt some more reluctant readers with the great illustrations.'
- Isaac East, age 8 - 'Ten out of ten for Julius and his friends. This is the best book I have been sent so far!...This book was so full of excitement and suspense I could not put it down.'
- Daniel Bisland, age 7 - 'You need to read this hilarious, laugh out loud book! I like the cool illustrations and I recommend it to 7+ good readers with an interest in the Romans! I give it 11/10.'
- Cora Willans - 'VERY FUNNY!! I would give this book 10/10!'
- Monty and Hattie Benton, age 7 and 9 - 'This is a really funny book. The best way to find out lots about gladiators in Roman times, laughing out loud along the way!'
- Grace Phelan, age 7 - 'You should read this book because it’s funny, excellent and superb. I love it!!!!!!'
- Reggie Wilfred, age 10 - 'This book is good and I know people that like Romans they will like this book also the author, Gary Northfield uses slang.'
- Alexander Kearsey, age 8 - 'A very funny book. Who knew that zebras even existed in the Roman Times! You will soon find out what a brave but silly zebra he is!'
- Oscar Smith, age 7 - 'A laugh out loud book where a zebra goes on a wild adventure. Great pictures from Gary Northfield as well.'
Julius Zebra: Bundle with the Britons by Gary Northfield
After the huge success of Rumble with the Romans!, celebrated author and illustrator Gary Northfield creates another brilliantly fast-paced, funny and utterly bonkers adventure for Julius Zebra and his hapless pals to go on.
Emperor Hadrian has one last favour to ask of the gladiator animals before he will grant them their greatest wish - freedom. They must go to the far-off and strange land of Britain to win over the crowds of his empire. But this will be no happy-go-lucky holiday...Instead of buckets and spades, our stripy hero and his friends will need all their powers and wits about them if they're going to survive their most wild and rebellious opponents yet. Cram-packed with jokes and bursting with action, this is a hilarious romp and mad-cap introduction to Roman Britain.
About the Author
Interest Age: From 8
More books by Gary Northfield
Walker Books Ltd
7th April 2016
I love finding new books to read. My mummy and me look at the new ones coming out. I have written reviews of some of them!Jessica Cobbin – age 7
I love Lovereading4kids because I get an opportunity to put my opinion forward and to try new booksElosie Clarkson – age 11
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
We love Lovereading4kids because it promotes reading choices, new authors and a sense of community for children of all ages!Rachel Bridgeman
It is THE website to use for narrowing down your search for any book. Definitely knocks the socks off any other book review website.Nickey and Tomasz Hawryszczuk
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7
Lovereading4kids is great, we get books really early never late. We love to read and review, and think you would like it too. The excitementJasmine Harris-Hart, age 12
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley