Written by Matt Griffin
Part of the The Ayla Trilogy Series
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
The magical adventure that began so explosively with A Cage of Roots continues in this equally gripping new episode. Four friends, Ayla, Finny Sean and Benvy are caught in a battle against powerful supernatural enemies led by the terrifying, ruthless Queen Maeve. All four have to face terrible dangers, far from family or anything familiar. They are in a strange world, centuries before their own time, with just each other for support. Like the best fantasy adventures, the trials they face will test their loyalty and friendship, and they’ll all emerge stronger as a result. Setting and adversaries are thrillingly described, a seam of real myth and legend giving the story extra depth. Matt Griffin’s atmospheric black and white illustrations add to the mood. ~ Andrea Reece
- Gabriel Phelan, age 11 - 'a very gripping, exciting and magical novel. It is very intriguing and a real page-turner.'
- Henry Smith, age 10 - 'An exciting and thrilling book that will keep you gripped until the last page!'
- Martin, age 10 - 'Very atmospheric, dark and spooky. The opening chapter gripped me and then the later ones scared me - don't read it alone and in the dark!'
- Sylvie Williams, age 9 - 'If you like stories to be dark, slightly scary and include legends and magic, you will love this book!'
- Amie Coffman, age 11 - 'The story was very exciting and I was eager to read to the end to find out Ayla’s fate. The story was original and the illustrations fantastic!'
- Shannon McCloskey - 'I loved this story, I had not read this author before but I will look out for more from him.'
- Tom White, age 11 - 'Scary, Creepy, Amazing!'
- Sue Wilsher - 'Full of mystery and magic, ‘A Cage of Roots’ is a story rich in Irish folk law and legend...A book for older children, particularly those who enjoy a thrill of fear!'
- Eleanor Cookdale, age 10 - 'It was a satisfying ending but open ended and I hope there will be another book to tell you what happened.'
- Fiona Sutherland, age 11 - 'This book was really tense but some the Irish names threw me a little bit. At the end I really wanted to find out what would happen next.'
Storm Weaver by Matt Griffin
‘You can weave the wind and thunder … You were the story that kept us awake at night’.
The sequel to A Cage of Roots...Descending into the ancient world of Fal, Ayla discovers she can conjure storms.
Drawn by powers as old as the Earth itself, friends Ayla, Finny, Sean and Benvy journey through time and place, deep into an alien land. There, a war is looming between the humans and the ancient and magical race of Danann. The four friends have to face frightening supernatural challenges when a vengeful queen, Maeve, seeks to rule all around her. As Ayla discovers her own special abilities, her friends are tested to breaking point. All their fates, and that of mankind itself, are hanging by a thread.
Praise for A Cage of Roots
‘captivating … an excellent midnight read’ Inis Magazine
‘a powerful first chapter that grabs hold of its readers and ensnares them … a remarkable debut novel’
‘full of magic and mystery, deeply rooted in Irish mythology and legends … an astonishing debut’ School Librarian Magazine
‘an impressive and imaginative debut novel’ booksforkeeps.co.uk
‘an astonishing debut’ Fallen Star Stories
‘an astonishingly different and chillingly striking tale … This has the feeling of a modern fairy tale about it, full of the scarily weird and vibrantly wonderful, as you turn the last page you are left standing on the edge of wanting more!’ Lovereading4kids.co.uk
About the Author
Interest Age: From 10
More books by Matt Griffin
Author's Facebook Latest
O'Brien Press Ltd
4th April 2016
O'Brien Press Ltd is an imprint of O'Brien
The O'Brien Press is Ireland's leading general publisher of both adult and children's books. Our list covers a huge range, including biography, humour, photography, history, art, fiction, politics, cookery, sport, music, memoir, true crime and travel and we are constantly expanding into new and exciting areas.
A great way to introduce kids to great books, authors & genres. Parents can find age-appropriate books to share with their children.Judi Davies – Aberdare Girls Sch
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14
Love “Lovereading4kids” as my son gets to hear about & read new books before his mates which keeps him interested in reading=a very happy MumLiz Evans
This company is amazing; not only is it is a great opportunity to get books and review them but everyone is so friendly and supportive!Jemma Rubens, age 10
Writing reviews help the children with their literacy skills and we always read the books together which gives us good quality family time!Cat Bisland (on behalf of the Bi
I think Lovereading4kids is an amazing company because of the friendly staff and the fabulous chance to read great books before publication.Adam Graham
It is THE website to use for narrowing down your search for any book. Definitely knocks the socks off any other book review website.Nickey and Tomasz Hawryszczuk