The Secret Cat
Written by Sarah Lean
Part of the Tiger Days Series
Lovereading4kids Price £4.79
£5.99 saving £1.20 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
May 2016 Book of the Month This lovely story is about a little girl who finds the courage to go on an adventure and learns about animals, making friends and being brave. Tiger Days is nervous when her mum and dad tell her that her grandmother May Days has invited her to stay in her new house. May Days has been living in Africa since Tiger was a baby and they’ve never met. Her house is unusual too, May has lots of work to do on it and when Tiger arrives she discovers they’ll be sleeping in a tent in the garden. There are more surprises, including a baby warthog who needs looking after, and a cheeky white cat too. There’s lots to learn from animals and Tiger gets braver and happier as the days go by. The start of a new series this is gentle, touching, funny, just right for young animal fans. ~ Andrea Reece
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Elizabeth Bridgeman, age 8 - 'Tiger Days is amazing, it's one of the coolest books I have read. I think that it’s a big 10/10 because it’s adventurous and amazing.'
- Sophia, age 9 - 'I love this book. It's adventurous and funny at the same time, if I had to give it a score out of 10 I would give it a straight 10.'
- Melissa Mapondera, age 9 - 'It was very easy to read and follow because I really felt the feelings of the characters; the writer's words really touched me.'
- Aarav Mehta, age 7 - 'In each and every chapter you will be left on a cliffhanger which will glue you to the book. The story is full of happiness, laughter and mystery. So get started now.'
- Evie Aconley, age 9 - 'I really enjoyed reading this book and it had a good sense of humour, I found this book really fun and relaxing to read.'
- Annabelle Cassidy, age 7 - 'A brilliant adventure book, so good I read it all in one day. Fab book if you like animals, and adventures.'
- Madison Chaplin, age 8 - 'I loved all of this book.'
- Lewis Briggs, age 9 - 'Wonderful, magnificent, stupendous. This is an outstanding book. The author must be creative, imaginative and clever to come up with this idea and I can't wait to get the second book.'
- Caitlin Hill, age 9 - 'Tiger, warthog, cat and Tom. After reading this book I want to have a warthog as a pet.'
- Beatrice Whithear, age 8 - 'Tiger Days is the name of a 9 year old girl. The book is about her stay at her grandmothers and the animals she helps to look after there and the friends she meets.'
- Mollie Jones, age 10 - 'Tiger Days and the Secret Cat is full of wild adventures, magical mysteries and a strong bond between two best friends and a warthog!'
- Martha Cox, age 7 - 'I loved this book!'
- Cassandra Butler, age 7 - 'I think everyone should read this book as it’s so adventurous!'
- Charlotte Killen, age 4 - 'I really liked this story. I really enjoyed reading Tiger Days with my Mum and brother.'
Win a Beast Quest Goodie Bag!
To mark the 10th Birthday of The Beast Quest series we are giving away THREE goodie bags filled with Beast Quest treats including temporary tattoos, pens, a printed bag and books from the series!
To have a chance of winning one of these super prizes, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter, multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once.
The draw closes on 29 May 2017. The winners will be notified by 5 June 2017.
The Secret Cat by Sarah Lean
Meet animal lover, Tiger Days! A brand-new young fiction series about animals, friendship and adventure by bestselling author Sarah Lean. Beautiful black-and-white illustrations throughout. When nine-year-old Tiger Days visits her grandmother at Willowgate House she never knows what might happen...new friends to meet, animals to rescue and problems to solve. No day is ever dull for Tiger! In the first Tiger Days story, Tiger must help look after an orphaned baby warthog who is an escape artist. She will also need lots of Tiger Bravery to discover what, or who, is making a strange sound upstairs at Willowgate House...
About the Author
Interest Age: From 7
More books by Sarah Lean
HarperCollins Children's Books an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers
5th May 2016
You give me age appropriate ideas of books I can read and buy for the children and find out what other children their age think of them too.Katie Lonsdale
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7
I love Lovereading4kids because I get an opportunity to put my opinion forward and to try new booksElosie Clarkson – age 11
It’s really exciting to read and review new books, thrilling to see my reviews online and I love finding the final published copies on sale.Sam Harper – age 10
This company is amazing; not only is it is a great opportunity to get books and review them but everyone is so friendly and supportive!Jemma Rubens, age 10
It has introduced my children to books we hadn’t come across before. Real children’s reviews gives a great insight into what others think toLorraine Woods
I love Lovereading as it provides an honest opinion and showcases a range of fiction. Suited to both parents & kids alike, it’s a must-use.Georgie Rowe – age 16
I love all the books they recommend & put up for me to review. I also love the fact that they give new authors the chance to share their booDaisy Pennock – age 15