Written by Laura James
Lovereading4kids Price £4.79
£5.99 saving £1.20 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
Julia Eccleshare's Book of the Month May 2016 A deliciously madcap doggy adventure for Pug, the pampered dog of the even more pampered Lady Miranda. When Lady Miranda determines that Pug will be the ship’s captain when they go for an outing on the boating lake and dresses him accordingly, she forgets one important thing: Pug is afraid of the water! But when Pug gets pug-napped as he is foraging in someone else’s picnic he finds himself off on a very watery adventure indeed. Highly entertaining, wittily illustrated and fun to read alone. 6+ ~ Julia Eccleshare
Julia Eccleshare's Picks of the Month for May 2016
The Bubble Boy by Stewart Foster
There is a Tribe of Kids by Lane Smith
Captain Pug by Laura James
The First Hippo on the Moon by David Walliams
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Amy Mitchell, age 8 - 'Having spent many years struggling to get my daughter to read, Laura James has nailed it. Two days and the book was read cover to cover.'
- Huxley Glen, age 5 - 'A great book featuring a cute character. Easy to read and full of fun. I laughed a lot while reading this book. I can't wait to start what Captain Pug gets up to next.'
- Abi Zinkin, age 6 - 'This was so gripping that I had to read it all in one sitting. The pictures made me laugh out loud and it made me feel happy.'
- Rebecca Urquhart, age 6 - 'The illustrations were colourful and they helped me know what is going to happen in the story. I think girls and boys who are 5 and 6 would like the book.'
- Robyn Chorley, age 7 - 'Robyn devoured this book. She read it to herself over two evenings and declared it to be the 'best book ever'.'
- Finn Wade, age 9 - 'Fantastic book, I loved reading this it was quite an easy read with lots of humour.'
- Amatullah Khatun, age 6 - 'This lovely chapter book is beautifully illustrated with bright colours. The story is funny and had Amatullah in giggles.'
- Elsa Kearsey, age 6 - 'This is a fantastically funny book, great for 6+ years but would recommend it to adults too!'
- Emma Radford and Sam, age 5 - '‘Captain Pug’ made us giggle!..It's a great transition from picture books to slightly longer novels.'
- Connor Lobban, age 7 - 'This is a cute and funny book for boys or girls...It is an easy to read book and I can't wait to read the next one'
- Sam Briggs, age 6 - 'I loved the book! It was funny, full of suspense, silly and happy. I love pugs!'
- Trudy Van Rooij, age 5 ' I thought the book was really great and funny too.'
Win a HARDBACK copy of Diary of a Wimpy Kid Double Down!
The Wimpy Kid is back! To celebrate the publication of the 11th book in this bestselling series from Jeff Kinney we are giving away FIVE HARDBACK copies of Double Down!
To have a chance of winning one of these great prizes, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter, multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once.
Draw closes on 5 December 2016. The winners will be notified by 16 December 2016 and you should have your prize in time for Christmas!
Captain Pug by Laura James
Pug is going on a seafaring adventure. He's had jam tarts for breakfast. He's wearing a smart sailor suit. There's just one problem. Pug is afraid of the water! Captain Pug is the first book in a glorious new illustrated series for fans of Claude and Squishy McFluff
About the Author
More books by Laura James
Bloomsbury Publishing PLC
5th May 2016
Lovereading4kids is great, we get books really early never late. We love to read and review, and think you would like it too. The excitementJasmine Harris-Hart, age 12
It has introduced my children to books we hadn’t come across before. Real children’s reviews gives a great insight into what others think toLorraine Woods
It’s a community united by a passion for books and promoting the best there is in children’s literature.Sam Bateman and family
It is THE website to use for narrowing down your search for any book. Definitely knocks the socks off any other book review website.Nickey and Tomasz Hawryszczuk
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley
You give me age appropriate ideas of books I can read and buy for the children and find out what other children their age think of them too.Katie Lonsdale
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques