Written by Laura James
Lovereading4kids Price £4.79
£5.99 saving £1.20 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
Julia Eccleshare's Book of the Month May 2016 A deliciously madcap doggy adventure for Pug, the pampered dog of the even more pampered Lady Miranda. When Lady Miranda determines that Pug will be the ship’s captain when they go for an outing on the boating lake and dresses him accordingly, she forgets one important thing: Pug is afraid of the water! But when Pug gets pug-napped as he is foraging in someone else’s picnic he finds himself off on a very watery adventure indeed. Highly entertaining, wittily illustrated and fun to read alone. 6+ ~ Julia Eccleshare
Julia Eccleshare's Picks of the Month for May 2016
The Bubble Boy by Stewart Foster
There is a Tribe of Kids by Lane Smith
Captain Pug by Laura James
The First Hippo on the Moon by David Walliams
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Amy Mitchell, age 8 - 'Having spent many years struggling to get my daughter to read, Laura James has nailed it. Two days and the book was read cover to cover.'
- Huxley Glen, age 5 - 'A great book featuring a cute character. Easy to read and full of fun. I laughed a lot while reading this book. I can't wait to start what Captain Pug gets up to next.'
- Abi Zinkin, age 6 - 'This was so gripping that I had to read it all in one sitting. The pictures made me laugh out loud and it made me feel happy.'
- Rebecca Urquhart, age 6 - 'The illustrations were colourful and they helped me know what is going to happen in the story. I think girls and boys who are 5 and 6 would like the book.'
- Robyn Chorley, age 7 - 'Robyn devoured this book. She read it to herself over two evenings and declared it to be the 'best book ever'.'
- Finn Wade, age 9 - 'Fantastic book, I loved reading this it was quite an easy read with lots of humour.'
- Amatullah Khatun, age 6 - 'This lovely chapter book is beautifully illustrated with bright colours. The story is funny and had Amatullah in giggles.'
- Elsa Kearsey, age 6 - 'This is a fantastically funny book, great for 6+ years but would recommend it to adults too!'
- Emma Radford and Sam, age 5 - '‘Captain Pug’ made us giggle!..It's a great transition from picture books to slightly longer novels.'
- Connor Lobban, age 7 - 'This is a cute and funny book for boys or girls...It is an easy to read book and I can't wait to read the next one'
- Sam Briggs, age 6 - 'I loved the book! It was funny, full of suspense, silly and happy. I love pugs!'
- Trudy Van Rooij, age 5 ' I thought the book was really great and funny too.'
Captain Pug by Laura James
Pug is going on a seafaring adventure. He's had jam tarts for breakfast. He's wearing a smart sailor suit. There's just one problem. Pug is afraid of the water! Captain Pug is the first book in a glorious new illustrated series for fans of Claude and Squishy McFluff
About the Author
More books by Laura James
Bloomsbury Publishing PLC
5th May 2016
I think Lovereading4kids is an amazing company because of the friendly staff and the fabulous chance to read great books before publication.Adam Graham
I love ‘LoveReading 4 kids’ because they let you read and learn things you’d never dreamed of learning before.Emily Horncastle – age 11
It is THE website to use for narrowing down your search for any book. Definitely knocks the socks off any other book review website.Nickey and Tomasz Hawryszczuk
Lovereading is just a convenient way to find new books and hear others opinions on them.Sarah Murray – age 15
Writing reviews help the children with their literacy skills and we always read the books together which gives us good quality family time!Cat Bisland (on behalf of the Bi
You give me age appropriate ideas of books I can read and buy for the children and find out what other children their age think of them too.Katie Lonsdale
It’s a community united by a passion for books and promoting the best there is in children’s literature.Sam Bateman and family
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley