Circus of Thieves and the Comeback Caper
Written by William Sutcliffe
Illustrated by David Tazzyman
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
The Austen of audacity, Armitage Shanks, circus master and dastardliest of villains is back and up to no good, to the delight of fans of these wacky, inventive and hugely entertaining books. And indeed, readers are promised (warned?) that this book will be the Shankiest ever written, for there’s not one Shanks centre stage, but two – Armitage we learn has an identically horrible twin, Zachary Shanks. The real hero of the books is of course the thoroughly nice young Billy and it’s more than likely that not only will he be able to see off even two Shanks, but that the effort will be very well worth reading about. Few writers match the frenetic humour and anarchic wit of these stories - they give even Mr Gum a run for his money. Free-wheeling fun! ~ Andrea Reece
Some of our readers were lucky enough to review the first in this series, Circus of Thieves and the Raffle of Doom...
- Jenny Bridgeman, age 9 - 'How can a raffle be doomed? Read on and discover a hilarious adventure, sinister characters, plot twists and derring do!' Read full review >
- Adi Mehta, age 8 - 'This exciting adventure story leads you to false trails and you get glued to this fantastic adventure.' Read full review >
- Alexander Bisland, age 8 - 'I always wanted to read on and it had lots of footnotes that I wanted to read. The footnotes had extra information about the story and they explained the words used in the book.' Read full review >
- Dylan Sweet, age 10 - 'This is a brilliant book that proves some circuses are not all what they seem...I like this book because the characters are funny with all sorts of personalities, and the plot is very imaginative.' Read full review >
- Eloise Mae Clarkson, age 11 - 'I quite liked this book I would probably give it three out of five stars. I liked how it was funny but serious at the same time.' Read full review >
- Katie Johnson, age 10 - 'I found this book very funny and liked the notes and comments on several words and phrases - some were absolutely hilarious!' Read full review >
- Alina Wraith, age 9 - 'I love everything about this book. I screamed in frustration when this book ended...I definitely want to read the next book so I hope William Sutcliffe hurries up and writes it!' Read full review >
- Sophie Bridges, age 11 - 'I think Circus of Thieves by William Sutcliffe was good because it was a circus with animals and it was very entertaining.' Read full review >
- Ewan young, age 11 - 'Hannah is a girl whose life is turned upside-down by the arrival of the circus. A great funny book!' Read full review >
- Jemma Rubens, age 10 - 'I did expect it to be a little more grown up in terms of vocabulary and plot...I like how it is laid out and the interesting different text formats.' Read full review >
- Liam Wilson, age 9 - 'This book is the most outrageously, audaciously, courageously, but not mendaciously, funny book ever.' Read full review >
Circus of Thieves and the Comeback Caper by William Sutcliffe
Shank's Impossible Circus rolls back into town for this hilarious brand new adventure from Will Sutcliffe brought to life by wonderful illustrations from David Tazzyman! And there's about to be double the trouble as dastardly ringmaster Armitage Shank comes face to face with his long lost twin! Urgh, how will the world cope with two Shanks?
Praise for the Circus of Thieves series!
'Pure delight… the promised sequel can't come too soon' Independent on Sunday
'Funny, Bizarre and brilliantly illustrated by David Tazzyman, this is perfect for anyone who loves Mr Gum' Sunday Express
'Utterly madcap adventure of sabotage and adventure... wonderfully supported by equally crazy illustrations... nothing short of hilarious' The Guardian
About the Author
Interest Age: From 9
More books by William Sutcliffe
Simon & Schuster Childrens Books an imprint of Simon & Schuster Ltd
19th May 2016
Writing reviews help the children with their literacy skills and we always read the books together which gives us good quality family time!Cat Bisland (on behalf of the Bi
I love Lovereading as it provides an honest opinion and showcases a range of fiction. Suited to both parents & kids alike, it’s a must-use.Georgie Rowe – age 16
LoveReading4Kids is a modern and creative way of emphasising the value and importance of books in this digital age #booksforlifeAmrit Bunet – Teen
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley
We love Lovereading4kids because it promotes reading choices, new authors and a sense of community for children of all ages!Rachel Bridgeman
At @HHSHaringey we love @lovereading4kids because our pupils can practice reviewing & get free upcoming books before anyone else!Helen Swinyard – Heartlands High
I love Lovereading because I often never know what to read and this helps you find a good book. I have recommended this to many people.Shannon-Louise Masters – age 15
I love lovereading4kids because I’ve read amazing books I would never have picked up, and its opened doors to new genre’s I now love.Harriet Cunningham