The Rest of Us Just Live Here
Written by Patrick Ness
Lovereading4kids Price £6.39
£7.99 saving £1.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
One of our Books of the Year 2016 | Longlisted for the UKLA 2017 Book Award | Shortlisted for the CILIP Carnegie Medal 2016 | Shortlisted for the Children's category of the Books are My Bag Readers Awards 2016. Daring, beautifully written, full of ideas that will bring the reader up short, The Rest of Us Just Live Here is a dystopian adventure that mocks dystopian adventures while acknowledging the genre’s power to reveal truths, particularly about teenage lives. As one band of teenagers – those special ‘indie kids’ familiar from so many YA novels – battle to save the world from the Immortals, the main plot of the novel concerns another group of young people. Mikey is getting through his teenage years with the help of his friends and by focusing on graduating and leaving home. He also wants to declare his love for his friend Henna. It’s enough for anyone to cope with, the possibility of someone blowing up school only adds to his problems. The indie kids’ story is told entirely in chapter head summaries, the real drama is Mikey’s, and of course his story means the most to the rest of us. Original, funny, true, it can only be Patrick Ness. ~ Andrea Reece
One of our Books of the Year 2015 - Julia Eccleshare's Pick of the Year 2015 - September 2015 Book of the Month
Teens love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Simon Marshall, age 15 - 'Totally original, just what we’ve come to expect from the brilliant Patrick Ness.'
- Danielle Shepherd, age 18 - 'Mystical, magical and absolutely thrilling.'
- Lauren Coffman, age 15 - 'It was thrilling and exciting, and though it was about a world not like ours, it was still easy to connect to the characters.'
- Aimee Sweet, age 13 - 'This may be the oddest book I have read for a while, but certainly the most interesting and relatable one.
I love it.'
- Emily Kinder - 'Patrick Ness has created something new and fascinating, and it's amazing.'
- Bethan Scarr, age 14 - 'Any fan of Patrick Ness will not be disappointed. A compelling read, with characters so real that you feel that you know them.'
- Emma Hughes - 'A story full of mystery and love, and adds to Patrick Ness' number of brilliant novels.'
- Edel Waugh - 'If you are a fan of Patrick Ness then this is a must read!'
- Farah Alam - 'My first Patrick Ness novel, and it was ok.'
- Rose Heathcote, age 16 - 'It does
cover important issues that can affect teenagers like anorexia and OCD and the way it could affect somebody’s life, this part of the book is written very well.'
- Chloe Shortall, age 19 - 'I really enjoyed this novel. It’s fun and clever, with a fantastic plotline and wonderful plot twists. I would definitely recommend this book.'
- Cliona McKeown-Bittles, age 17 - 'An honest and real take on the issues of ordinary life paralleled with the life threatening and suspenseful extraordinary existence.'
- Ella Grabsky, age 15 - 'A wonderful tale about learning it's ok not to be perfect. This book had me gripped from the first page to the last.'
The Rest of Us Just Live Here by Patrick Ness
Award-winning writer Patrick Ness's bold and irreverent novel powerfully asks what if you weren't the Chosen One? The one who's supposed to fight the zombies, or the soul-eating ghosts, or whatever this new thing is, with the blue lights and the death? What if you were like Mikey? Who just wants to graduate and go to prom and maybe finally work up the courage to ask Henna out before someone goes and blows up the high school. Again. Because sometimes there are problems bigger than this week's end of the world and sometimes you just have to find the extraordinary in your ordinary life. Even if your best friend might just be the God of mountain lions...An exceptional novel from the author praised by John Green as an insanely beautiful writer .
Reviews for A Monster Calls
'exceptional.. this is storytelling as it should be - harrowing, lyrical and transcendent.' Meg Rosoff
"[It] has the thrills and ambition you would expect from the author of the Chaos Walking trilogy. It's also easy to trace Dowd's influence ... an extraordinarily beautiful book" Frank Cottrell Boyce, The Guardian
"Ness, like Dowd, is a brilliant and acclaimed creator of books for older children and young adults, but the two novelists' voices, their concerns, their styles, are quite different. Many people – myself included – thought this a peculiar piece of casting. Well, shows how much I know ... Brave and beautiful, full of compassion, A Monster Calls fuses the painful and insightful, the simple and profound. The result trembles with life." Daniel Hahn, The Independent
"Stunningly illustrated, this haunting and demanding book shines with compassion, insight and flashes of humour and is a collaboration that highlights the exceptional talents of Ness, Dowd and Kay. A worthy tribute." Sally Morris, Daily Mail
About the Author
Interest Age: From 14
More books by Patrick Ness
Walker Books Ltd
5th May 2016
I think Lovereading4kids is an amazing company because of the friendly staff and the fabulous chance to read great books before publication.Adam Graham
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley
A great way to introduce kids to great books, authors & genres. Parents can find age-appropriate books to share with their children.Judi Davies – Aberdare Girls Sch
We love Lovereading4kids because it promotes reading choices, new authors and a sense of community for children of all ages!Rachel Bridgeman
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils
I love all the books they recommend & put up for me to review. I also love the fact that they give new authors the chance to share their booDaisy Pennock – age 15
I have told all my friends, family & teachers to see for themselves just how great the site is. Without fail, they are hugely impressed.Alexander Boxall – age 11
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East