The King's Revenge
Written by Philip Womack
Part of the The Darkening Path Series
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
A story of knights and gods, a quest that takes its characters through wild and strange landscapes, a tale of courage and loyalty in the face of terrifying opponents, The King’s Revenge brings Philip Womack’s much lauded Darkening Path trilogy to a thrilling conclusion (though for those who haven’t read the preceding books, it’s a satisfying adventure in its own right). Reunited with their sister and brother, friends Simon and Flora face one final challenge in the world of the Broken King, but it’s their most difficult yet; fail, and everything in the kingdom will die. As they set off on their quest, there’s a wonderful sense of comradeship. The world Womack creates rings with echoes of favourite myth and history, but is unique to his vision. The writing is excellent, this is children’s fantasy of the highest order.
The Darkening Path series :
Some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were lucky enough to read and review the first book in this series, The Broken King.
- Benjy Randall, age 10 - 'A very good book, read if you like adventures stories with lots of magic.' Read full review >
- Robert White, age 10 - 'I loved this book; I could never put it down. A five star read! The Broken King is a mighty action packed book filled with magical creatures of all kinds.' Read full review >
- Emily Passmore, age 13 - 'Imaginative, interesting and just amazing, this book is a definite for anyone who has a love of fantasy. Just trust me, read it!' Read full review >
- Sam Harper, age 10 - 'This was an exhilarating, dark adventure which kept me hooked from the first page to the last word. The creatures were terrifying and amazing. Fantastic!' Read full review >
- Sidney Greenslade, age 10 - 'A fast-paced tale of danger, magic and adventure...I was gripped from the very first page and I can't wait to read book two in the Darkening Path series. I highly recommend this book.' Read full review >
- Rose Heathcote, age 15 - 'FANTASTICALLY written fantasy adventure, from the day it arrived it didn't leave my hands. It will capture your imagination from the very first page. I can’t wait for book two to be published.' Read full review >
- Daisy Theobald, age 11 - 'I extremely enjoyed this book, it is one of my favourite books that I have ever read. It gripped me from page one.' Read full review >
The King's Revenge by Philip Womack
The King’s Revenge, the third and final book in The Darkening Path trilogy, following The King’s Shadow (published in 2015) is the thrilling culmination of Womack’s acclaimed fantasy adventure in which friends Simon and Flora manage to rescue their sister and brother from the Broken King. Although their mission appeared to be completed with the death of the king, in a final act of revenge he has set a trap: nobody can pass between the worlds and now the worlds will decay and die. Simon and Flora face their most dangerous journey yet to reach the home of the Threefold Goddess. Their courage and loyalty will be tested to the limit as they battle with terrifying otherworldly creatures to reach her and find out what has gone wrong. Can they save all three worlds from dying and return home?
Praise for The Darkening Path series
A darkly disconcerting high fantasy. - Imogen Russell Williams, Literary Review
Electrifying tale of portals into different magical worlds. - Susan Elkin, Independent on Sunday
Giants, dwarfs and magic all bubble in the mix. – Suzy Feay, Financial Times
Philip Womack is one of the best contemporary authors of children’s fantasy. - Philip Reeve
A cracking pace, enigmatic characters and terrifying adversaries. – Sarah Naughton
Like Alan Garner, Philip Womack takes ancient fairytales about searching for a child kidnapped by dark magic,
and turns it into a haunting adventure exploring love, courage, fear and friendship. Written with sensitivity,
intelligence and conviction, it’s the kind of classic story readers can’t get enough of. – Amanda Craig
About the Author
More books by Philip Womack
28th May 2016
A great way to introduce kids to great books, authors & genres. Parents can find age-appropriate books to share with their children.Judi Davies – Aberdare Girls Sch
Writing reviews help the children with their literacy skills and we always read the books together which gives us good quality family time!Cat Bisland (on behalf of the Bi
Lovereading is just a convenient way to find new books and hear others opinions on them.Sarah Murray – age 15
It is THE website to use for narrowing down your search for any book. Definitely knocks the socks off any other book review website.Nickey and Tomasz Hawryszczuk
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley
It’s a community united by a passion for books and promoting the best there is in children’s literature.Sam Bateman and family
I love Lovereading because I often never know what to read and this helps you find a good book. I have recommended this to many people.Shannon-Louise Masters – age 15