Charlie Cook's Favourite Book
Written by Julia Donaldson
Illustrated by Axel Scheffler
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
There are lots of reading jokes in this book within a book, within a book: pirates and robbers settle down with their favourite stories and the Three Bears discover Goldilocks reading their favourite book (after having eaten their porridge, of course). It’s all written in bubbly rhyming verse matched with vigorous illustrations which make extensive play of the central joke. ~ Julia Eccleshare
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Monty Benton, age 6 - 'This book is fantastic and very clever. Each page leads to another story!'
- Annabelle Cassidy, age 6 - 'It is hard to believe it is a 10 year old story, it seems as fresh as any modern day fairy story that we read.'
- Jamie Simmons, age 4 - 'An amusing rhyming short story which took our imaginations wandering...'
- Emma Johnson, age 5 - 'Wonderful to have a new copy of one of our much loved and favourite books!'
- Heidi Agnew, age 6 - 'I read it to my brother who is 2 years old. He liked the dragon on the front cover.'
- Ellen Hall, age 5 - 'I love this book because all of the tales are really good. I especially like the ghost story.'
- Robyn Chorley, age 6 - 'Robyn loved this book especially the way each book was within another book right the way to the end. "It did make my mind go a bit bonkers trying to follow it!" In a good way.'
- Finley Mcmaster, age 3 - 'Finley and I have thoroughly enjoyed it, we have read it every night since it was received.'
- Liam Hill, age 5 - 'Crocodiles, Pirates, frogs and aliens. they are all my favourite.... I love the ginormous cake and the spaceman who gets a slice of the cake. Everything rhymes!'
- Zara Kemal, age 8 - 'Charlie Cook’s Favourite Book is a fairytale full of pirates, knights and dragons! I would recommend the book to other children who like fairytales and adventure.'
- Darcey Mcilroy, age 7 - 'This book is a fantastic book which made me laugh. I loved looking at all the pictures and finding the little characters with my mummy.'
- Huxley Glen, age 4 - 'This was a very good book, really colourful illustrations which really brought the story to life.'
- Rebecca Urquhart, age 5 and her mum Alison - 'I think this book is good because it is funny and has lots of different stories in it.'
- Matthew Wilson, age 7 - 'A book in a book in a book in a book...'
Win a copy of Triangle and a Jon Klassen print!
We have THREE copies of Triangle, the first in a new exciting picture book trilogy from Jon Klassen and Mac Barnett to give away...and each winner will also a receive a fantastic print from the book - shown here! To have a chance of winning one of these super prizes, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter, multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once.
The draw closes on 1 May 2017. The winners will be notified by 15 May 2017.
Charlie Cook's Favourite Book by Julia Donaldson
Charlie Cook is reading a book about a pirate captain, who is reading a book about Goldilocks, who is reading about a knight, who is reading about a frog...
From kings and queens to aliens and ghosts, there's something for everyone in Charlie's amazing book of adventure! Charlie Cook's Favourite Book is both entertaining and original - a sure-fire winner from the unparalleled picture-book partnership of Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler, creators of The Gruffalo.
This edition features the classic story with a stunning, redesigned cover and beautiful finish, making it a must-have addition to the bookshelves of all Donaldson and Scheffler fans - big and small!
Also available with redesigned covers are The Gruffalo, The Gruffalo's Child, Room on the Broom, The Snail and the Whale, The Smartest Giant in Town, Monkey Puzzle and A Squash and a Squeeze.
'The picture book of the season.' The Bookseller
'Both the words and the illustrations are full of fun and jokes ... above all, it proves that reading is irresistible.'
About the Author
Interest Age: From 3
More books by Julia Donaldson
Macmillan Children's Books an imprint of Pan Macmillan
21st April 2016
We love Lovereading4kids because it promotes reading choices, new authors and a sense of community for children of all ages!Rachel Bridgeman
I love Lovereading4kids because I get an opportunity to put my opinion forward and to try new booksElosie Clarkson – age 11
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
I love finding new books to read. My mummy and me look at the new ones coming out. I have written reviews of some of them!Jessica Cobbin – age 7
I love Lovereading as it provides an honest opinion and showcases a range of fiction. Suited to both parents & kids alike, it’s a must-use.Georgie Rowe – age 16
It has introduced my children to books we hadn’t come across before. Real children’s reviews gives a great insight into what others think toLorraine Woods
It is THE website to use for narrowing down your search for any book. Definitely knocks the socks off any other book review website.Nickey and Tomasz Hawryszczuk
I love Lovereading because I often never know what to read and this helps you find a good book. I have recommended this to many people.Shannon-Louise Masters – age 15