Charlie Cook's Favourite Book
Written by Julia Donaldson
Illustrated by Axel Scheffler
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
There are lots of reading jokes in this book within a book, within a book: pirates and robbers settle down with their favourite stories and the Three Bears discover Goldilocks reading their favourite book (after having eaten their porridge, of course). It’s all written in bubbly rhyming verse matched with vigorous illustrations which make extensive play of the central joke. ~ Julia Eccleshare
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Monty Benton, age 6 - 'This book is fantastic and very clever. Each page leads to another story!'
- Annabelle Cassidy, age 6 - 'It is hard to believe it is a 10 year old story, it seems as fresh as any modern day fairy story that we read.'
- Jamie Simmons, age 4 - 'An amusing rhyming short story which took our imaginations wandering...'
- Emma Johnson, age 5 - 'Wonderful to have a new copy of one of our much loved and favourite books!'
- Heidi Agnew, age 6 - 'I read it to my brother who is 2 years old. He liked the dragon on the front cover.'
- Ellen Hall, age 5 - 'I love this book because all of the tales are really good. I especially like the ghost story.'
- Robyn Chorley, age 6 - 'Robyn loved this book especially the way each book was within another book right the way to the end. "It did make my mind go a bit bonkers trying to follow it!" In a good way.'
- Finley Mcmaster, age 3 - 'Finley and I have thoroughly enjoyed it, we have read it every night since it was received.'
- Liam Hill, age 5 - 'Crocodiles, Pirates, frogs and aliens. they are all my favourite.... I love the ginormous cake and the spaceman who gets a slice of the cake. Everything rhymes!'
- Zara Kemal, age 8 - 'Charlie Cook’s Favourite Book is a fairytale full of pirates, knights and dragons! I would recommend the book to other children who like fairytales and adventure.'
- Darcey Mcilroy, age 7 - 'This book is a fantastic book which made me laugh. I loved looking at all the pictures and finding the little characters with my mummy.'
- Huxley Glen, age 4 - 'This was a very good book, really colourful illustrations which really brought the story to life.'
- Rebecca Urquhart, age 5 and her mum Alison - 'I think this book is good because it is funny and has lots of different stories in it.'
- Matthew Wilson, age 7 - 'A book in a book in a book in a book...'
Charlie Cook's Favourite Book by Julia Donaldson
Charlie Cook is reading a book about a pirate captain, who is reading a book about Goldilocks, who is reading about a knight, who is reading about a frog...
From kings and queens to aliens and ghosts, there's something for everyone in Charlie's amazing book of adventure! Charlie Cook's Favourite Book is both entertaining and original - a sure-fire winner from the unparalleled picture-book partnership of Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler, creators of The Gruffalo.
This edition features the classic story with a stunning, redesigned cover and beautiful finish, making it a must-have addition to the bookshelves of all Donaldson and Scheffler fans - big and small!
Also available with redesigned covers are The Gruffalo, The Gruffalo's Child, Room on the Broom, The Snail and the Whale, The Smartest Giant in Town, Monkey Puzzle and A Squash and a Squeeze.
'The picture book of the season.' The Bookseller
'Both the words and the illustrations are full of fun and jokes ... above all, it proves that reading is irresistible.'
About the Author
Interest Age: From 3
More books by Julia Donaldson
Macmillan Children's Books an imprint of Pan Macmillan
21st April 2016
I have told all my friends, family & teachers to see for themselves just how great the site is. Without fail, they are hugely impressed.Alexander Boxall – age 11
Writing reviews help the children with their literacy skills and we always read the books together which gives us good quality family time!Cat Bisland (on behalf of the Bi
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley
Love “Lovereading4kids” as my son gets to hear about & read new books before his mates which keeps him interested in reading=a very happy MumLiz Evans
A great way to introduce kids to great books, authors & genres. Parents can find age-appropriate books to share with their children.Judi Davies – Aberdare Girls Sch
We love Lovereading4kids because it promotes reading choices, new authors and a sense of community for children of all ages!Rachel Bridgeman
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils
I love all the books they recommend & put up for me to review. I also love the fact that they give new authors the chance to share their booDaisy Pennock – age 15