If I Was Your Girl
Written by Meredith Russo
Lovereading4kids Price £6.39
£7.99 saving £1.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
June 2016 Debut of the Month Amanda Hardy is the new girl at school. Like everyone else, all she wants is to make friends and fit in. But Amanda is holding back. Even from Grant, the guy she's falling in love with. Amanda has a secret. At her old school, she used to be called Andrew. And secrets always have a way of getting out...
Lovereading Review to follow...
Teens & YA's love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our older Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Lola Bridgeman, age 18 - 'Beautifully expressed, from the heart, Meredith Russo is a name that should stand up alongside other set texts as an exemplary piece of work for parents and children alike...A powerful debut!'
- Phoebe Allen, age 16 - 'within the first chapter, I was completely drawn in and I was totally caught up on the confusing, unjust and sometimes frightening world of Amanda...A thought provoking story, which I would definitely recommend!'
- Humaira Kauser, age 18 - 'Not your average read but so thought-provoking and important.'
- Sophia Ufton - 'What a fantastic story, the plot was amazing! I loved reading this book and hope the author does more.'
- Maisie Caitin Sadler, age 14 - 'A touching and very emotional story.'
- Katie Miller, age 14 - 'Best book I've read in ages. I absolutely loved it. It's so difficult to put down. The idea is so clever and original and the execution is fantastic. Excellent book.'
If I Was Your Girl by Meredith Russo
My name is Amanda. I’m 18. When you look at me, you might see that I’m pretty and popular; you might think my life is easy. But being me has never been easy. Because I haven’t always been Amanda. When I was born, I was named Andrew. Now, at my new school, I finally feel like myself. But do I owe my new friends the truth about my past?
Based on the author’s own experience as a transgender woman, this is a compelling twist on the classic US high school romance, set in the American South.
“If I Was Your Girl is important and necessary and brave, and deeply, electrically inspiring. We should all walk in Amanda’s shoes, whether we think we can relate to her or not. Because who can’t relate to a story about having the courage to be the person you were meant to be?” Jennifer Niven, New York Times bestselling author of All the Bright Places
“If I Was Your Girl is real and raw and layered and wonderful.” Alex Gino author of George
“This book will change minds and open hearts.” Nina Lacour, author of Everything Leads to You
“A coming-of-age with real world gravitas and a love story with heart. Will not only keep readers hooked, it will make the world a better, more empathetic place.” Adi Alsaid, author of Let’s Get Lost
“Meredith Russo’s debut is poignant and rare. If I Was Your Girl is the type of book you read and want to immediately share, because it’s too important to keep to yourself.” Julie Murphy, #1 New York Times bestselling author of Dumplin’
About the Author
More books by Meredith Russo
Usborne Publishing Ltd
1st June 2016
Lovereading is just a convenient way to find new books and hear others opinions on them.Sarah Murray – age 15
LoveReading4Kids is a modern and creative way of emphasising the value and importance of books in this digital age #booksforlifeAmrit Bunet – Teen
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7
I love lovereading4kids because I’ve read amazing books I would never have picked up, and its opened doors to new genre’s I now love.Harriet Cunningham
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils
Love “Lovereading4kids” as my son gets to hear about & read new books before his mates which keeps him interested in reading=a very happy MumLiz Evans