Squishy McFluff: Seaside Rescue!
Written by Pip Jones
Illustrated by Ella Okstad
Part of the Squishy McFluff the Invisible Cat Series
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
A trip to the seaside for everyone’s favourite invisible kitten nearly ends in disaster when poor Squishy is swept out to sea. Luckily Ava’s mum is persuaded to row to the rescue. Effortlessly charming, this story, the fifth in the series, feels as fresh and lively as the first. Pip Jones’s rhymes have a jaunty lilt and reading them is always a pleasure, for young and old alike. Ella Okstad’s illustrations are just as lively and catch the relationship between Ava and Squishy beautifully. A perfect book to bridge the gap between picture books and chapter books, and as welcome and delicious as an ice cream on a hot sunny day! ~ Andrea Reece
Kids love reading and so we invited the Lovereading4kids reader review panel to read and review the first title in the series, Squishy McFluff: The Invisible Cat. You can read their full reviews here.
- Matilda Greenacre, age 7 - 'This is a great book for early readers or mums to read to their children. The whole book is written in rhyme, lovely for read out loud.'
- Sam Harper, age 10 - 'Ava and Squishy make a mischievous and very funny team...A lovely story which is made even better by the clever combination of rhyme and illustrations. Glorious!'
- Isaac East, age 7 - 'Squishy McFluff is a funny book that rhymes. The cat is cheeky and with her friend Ava they of lots of mischievous things.'
- Evie Aconley, age 7 - 'A really fun book to read! I loved it!!'
- Lauren Randall, age 6 - 'Great book if you like rhyming stories and cats.'
- Daniel Bisland, age 6 - 'I give it 10* because it is funny. I love the colourful pictures. I wish it was longer though! I can’t wait for Supermarket Sweep.'
- Ophelia Robinson Beesley, age 7 - 'It has happiness and comedy but slight sadness in the middle but it is not too sad. Anyway Pip Jones has created a loving family of characters no reason to not enjoy. Especially suitable for bed time.'
- Toby Pickering, age 7 - 'It was a very interesting story full of adventure and you think her mum isn’t going to like Squishy, well you’re right!'
- Emma, age 7 - 'I loved this book, it makes me want an invisible cat of my own. I could read this easily on my own, but the story made me think about what my invisible cat would look like.'
Squishy McFluff: Seaside Rescue! by Pip Jones
Ava and Squishy have been let loose on the beach, which isn’t a relaxing holiday experience for anyone else. Attempted digs to Australia mean a lot of sand thrown about, and a trip to the ice cream van causes a culinary disaster. But when Squishy McFluff gets swept out to sea it’s Mum who’s going to have to save the day. Can they help someone else at the same time?
Rising star Pip Jones continues to give her quirky twist to everyday experience, this time in the ultimate summer holiday story. The jaunty rhyming text is perfect for reading aloud, and Ella Okstad's gorgeous, distinctive illustrations will help more confident readers learn to read by themselves for the first time. An ideal choice for reading under sunny skies.
Praise for the Squishy McFluff series!
‘Jones’s rhymes are fluid and easy-going and with Okstad’s drawings - I particularly like Squishy’s “what, me?” face - this is a charming parable of transition for children aged 4 and older’ The Times
‘Pip Jones’s big-eyed adventures of Ava and her naughty invisible cat, Squishy McFluff, will be a surefire hit with any kid who’s ever devolved responsibility for wickedness or mishap to a sibling or imaginary friend.’ Guardian
‘Verse is often beloved by young readers, yet it’s all too rare in early chapter books. Jones’s pleasing rhyme and Okstad’s illustrations are bound to ensure catisfaction’ Independent
‘Cleverly bridging the gap between picture books and longer fiction, the lovable Squishy is certain to be a success with under-sevens - especially those who have ever had an imaginary friend of their own.’ Booktrust
About the Author
More books by Pip Jones
Faber & Faber
26th May 2016
Lovereading4kids is great, we get books really early never late. We love to read and review, and think you would like it too. The excitementJasmine Harris-Hart, age 12
Lovereading is just a convenient way to find new books and hear others opinions on them.Sarah Murray – age 15
I love Lovereading as it provides an honest opinion and showcases a range of fiction. Suited to both parents & kids alike, it’s a must-use.Georgie Rowe – age 16
I love Lovereading because I often never know what to read and this helps you find a good book. I have recommended this to many people.Shannon-Louise Masters – age 15
You give me age appropriate ideas of books I can read and buy for the children and find out what other children their age think of them too.Katie Lonsdale
Writing reviews help the children with their literacy skills and we always read the books together which gives us good quality family time!Cat Bisland (on behalf of the Bi
LoveReading4Kids is a modern and creative way of emphasising the value and importance of books in this digital age #booksforlifeAmrit Bunet – Teen
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7