Squishy McFluff: Seaside Rescue!
Written by Pip Jones
Illustrated by Ella Okstad
Part of the Squishy McFluff the Invisible Cat Series
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
A trip to the seaside for everyone’s favourite invisible kitten nearly ends in disaster when poor Squishy is swept out to sea. Luckily Ava’s mum is persuaded to row to the rescue. Effortlessly charming, this story, the fifth in the series, feels as fresh and lively as the first. Pip Jones’s rhymes have a jaunty lilt and reading them is always a pleasure, for young and old alike. Ella Okstad’s illustrations are just as lively and catch the relationship between Ava and Squishy beautifully. A perfect book to bridge the gap between picture books and chapter books, and as welcome and delicious as an ice cream on a hot sunny day! ~ Andrea Reece
Kids love reading and so we invited the Lovereading4kids reader review panel to read and review the first title in the series, Squishy McFluff: The Invisible Cat. You can read their full reviews here.
- Matilda Greenacre, age 7 - 'This is a great book for early readers or mums to read to their children. The whole book is written in rhyme, lovely for read out loud.'
- Sam Harper, age 10 - 'Ava and Squishy make a mischievous and very funny team...A lovely story which is made even better by the clever combination of rhyme and illustrations. Glorious!'
- Isaac East, age 7 - 'Squishy McFluff is a funny book that rhymes. The cat is cheeky and with her friend Ava they of lots of mischievous things.'
- Evie Aconley, age 7 - 'A really fun book to read! I loved it!!'
- Lauren Randall, age 6 - 'Great book if you like rhyming stories and cats.'
- Daniel Bisland, age 6 - 'I give it 10* because it is funny. I love the colourful pictures. I wish it was longer though! I can’t wait for Supermarket Sweep.'
- Ophelia Robinson Beesley, age 7 - 'It has happiness and comedy but slight sadness in the middle but it is not too sad. Anyway Pip Jones has created a loving family of characters no reason to not enjoy. Especially suitable for bed time.'
- Toby Pickering, age 7 - 'It was a very interesting story full of adventure and you think her mum isn’t going to like Squishy, well you’re right!'
- Emma, age 7 - 'I loved this book, it makes me want an invisible cat of my own. I could read this easily on my own, but the story made me think about what my invisible cat would look like.'
Squishy McFluff: Seaside Rescue! by Pip Jones
Ava and Squishy have been let loose on the beach, which isn’t a relaxing holiday experience for anyone else. Attempted digs to Australia mean a lot of sand thrown about, and a trip to the ice cream van causes a culinary disaster. But when Squishy McFluff gets swept out to sea it’s Mum who’s going to have to save the day. Can they help someone else at the same time?
Rising star Pip Jones continues to give her quirky twist to everyday experience, this time in the ultimate summer holiday story. The jaunty rhyming text is perfect for reading aloud, and Ella Okstad's gorgeous, distinctive illustrations will help more confident readers learn to read by themselves for the first time. An ideal choice for reading under sunny skies.
Praise for the Squishy McFluff series!
‘Jones’s rhymes are fluid and easy-going and with Okstad’s drawings - I particularly like Squishy’s “what, me?” face - this is a charming parable of transition for children aged 4 and older’ The Times
‘Pip Jones’s big-eyed adventures of Ava and her naughty invisible cat, Squishy McFluff, will be a surefire hit with any kid who’s ever devolved responsibility for wickedness or mishap to a sibling or imaginary friend.’ Guardian
‘Verse is often beloved by young readers, yet it’s all too rare in early chapter books. Jones’s pleasing rhyme and Okstad’s illustrations are bound to ensure catisfaction’ Independent
‘Cleverly bridging the gap between picture books and longer fiction, the lovable Squishy is certain to be a success with under-sevens - especially those who have ever had an imaginary friend of their own.’ Booktrust
About the Author
More books by Pip Jones
Faber & Faber
26th May 2016
I think Lovereading4kids is an amazing company because of the friendly staff and the fabulous chance to read great books before publication.Adam Graham
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
It’s really exciting to read and review new books, thrilling to see my reviews online and I love finding the final published copies on sale.Sam Harper – age 10
Love “Lovereading4kids” as my son gets to hear about & read new books before his mates which keeps him interested in reading=a very happy MumLiz Evans
Lovereading is just a convenient way to find new books and hear others opinions on them.Sarah Murray – age 15
It has introduced my children to books we hadn’t come across before. Real children’s reviews gives a great insight into what others think toLorraine Woods
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley