Squishy McFluff: Seaside Rescue!
Written by Pip Jones
Illustrated by Ella Okstad
Part of the Squishy McFluff the Invisible Cat Series
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
A trip to the seaside for everyone’s favourite invisible kitten nearly ends in disaster when poor Squishy is swept out to sea. Luckily Ava’s mum is persuaded to row to the rescue. Effortlessly charming, this story, the fifth in the series, feels as fresh and lively as the first. Pip Jones’s rhymes have a jaunty lilt and reading them is always a pleasure, for young and old alike. Ella Okstad’s illustrations are just as lively and catch the relationship between Ava and Squishy beautifully. A perfect book to bridge the gap between picture books and chapter books, and as welcome and delicious as an ice cream on a hot sunny day! ~ Andrea Reece
Kids love reading and so we invited the Lovereading4kids reader review panel to read and review the first title in the series, Squishy McFluff: The Invisible Cat. You can read their full reviews here.
- Matilda Greenacre, age 7 - 'This is a great book for early readers or mums to read to their children. The whole book is written in rhyme, lovely for read out loud.'
- Sam Harper, age 10 - 'Ava and Squishy make a mischievous and very funny team...A lovely story which is made even better by the clever combination of rhyme and illustrations. Glorious!'
- Isaac East, age 7 - 'Squishy McFluff is a funny book that rhymes. The cat is cheeky and with her friend Ava they of lots of mischievous things.'
- Evie Aconley, age 7 - 'A really fun book to read! I loved it!!'
- Lauren Randall, age 6 - 'Great book if you like rhyming stories and cats.'
- Daniel Bisland, age 6 - 'I give it 10* because it is funny. I love the colourful pictures. I wish it was longer though! I can’t wait for Supermarket Sweep.'
- Ophelia Robinson Beesley, age 7 - 'It has happiness and comedy but slight sadness in the middle but it is not too sad. Anyway Pip Jones has created a loving family of characters no reason to not enjoy. Especially suitable for bed time.'
- Toby Pickering, age 7 - 'It was a very interesting story full of adventure and you think her mum isn’t going to like Squishy, well you’re right!'
- Emma, age 7 - 'I loved this book, it makes me want an invisible cat of my own. I could read this easily on my own, but the story made me think about what my invisible cat would look like.'
Win a Limited Edition copy of The Smartest Giant in Town!
The Smartest Giant in Town, a modern classic by the uber-talented team of Julia Donaldson and Axel Sheffler, is celebrating its 15th Anniversary.
To mark this occasion we will be giving away FIVE copies of this limited edition storybook. To have a chance of winning one of these great prizes, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter, multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once.
The draw closes on 6 February 2017. The winners will be notified by 20 February 2017.
Squishy McFluff: Seaside Rescue! by Pip Jones
Ava and Squishy have been let loose on the beach, which isn’t a relaxing holiday experience for anyone else. Attempted digs to Australia mean a lot of sand thrown about, and a trip to the ice cream van causes a culinary disaster. But when Squishy McFluff gets swept out to sea it’s Mum who’s going to have to save the day. Can they help someone else at the same time?
Rising star Pip Jones continues to give her quirky twist to everyday experience, this time in the ultimate summer holiday story. The jaunty rhyming text is perfect for reading aloud, and Ella Okstad's gorgeous, distinctive illustrations will help more confident readers learn to read by themselves for the first time. An ideal choice for reading under sunny skies.
Praise for the Squishy McFluff series!
‘Jones’s rhymes are fluid and easy-going and with Okstad’s drawings - I particularly like Squishy’s “what, me?” face - this is a charming parable of transition for children aged 4 and older’ The Times
‘Pip Jones’s big-eyed adventures of Ava and her naughty invisible cat, Squishy McFluff, will be a surefire hit with any kid who’s ever devolved responsibility for wickedness or mishap to a sibling or imaginary friend.’ Guardian
‘Verse is often beloved by young readers, yet it’s all too rare in early chapter books. Jones’s pleasing rhyme and Okstad’s illustrations are bound to ensure catisfaction’ Independent
‘Cleverly bridging the gap between picture books and longer fiction, the lovable Squishy is certain to be a success with under-sevens - especially those who have ever had an imaginary friend of their own.’ Booktrust
About the Author
More books by Pip Jones
Faber & Faber
26th May 2016
We love Lovereading4kids because it promotes reading choices, new authors and a sense of community for children of all ages!Rachel Bridgeman
A great way to introduce kids to great books, authors & genres. Parents can find age-appropriate books to share with their children.Judi Davies – Aberdare Girls Sch
Lovereading4kids is great, we get books really early never late. We love to read and review, and think you would like it too. The excitementJasmine Harris-Hart, age 12
This company is amazing; not only is it is a great opportunity to get books and review them but everyone is so friendly and supportive!Jemma Rubens, age 10
I love ‘LoveReading 4 kids’ because they let you read and learn things you’d never dreamed of learning before.Emily Horncastle – age 11
It has introduced my children to books we hadn’t come across before. Real children’s reviews gives a great insight into what others think toLorraine Woods
You give me age appropriate ideas of books I can read and buy for the children and find out what other children their age think of them too.Katie Lonsdale
LoveReading4Kids is a modern and creative way of emphasising the value and importance of books in this digital age #booksforlifeAmrit Bunet – Teen