Written by Emma Carroll
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
One of our Books of the Year 2016 | Julia Eccleshare's Book of the Month July 2016 Rich in thrilling details, Strange Star is a cleverly told story-within-a story that draws together true stories with an original adventure. Italy, 1816, Felix works as a servant to the Lord Byron and soon finds himself intrigued by the exciting and dangerous ideas of Lord Byron’s friends and visitors, the Shelleys. During an evening devoted to the telling of ghost stories, Mary Shelley brings a young girl to life despite her seeming dead on her unexpected arrival. Lizzie Appleby has an incredible and terrifying story to tell which touches, among other things, on the wonders of science which were just being explored at that time. ~ Julia Eccleshare
Julia Eccleshare's Picks of the Month for July 2016
Melric and the Crown by David McKee
The Hunting of the Snark by Lewis Carroll, illustrated by Chris Riddell
Up, Up and Away by Tom McLaughlin
Strange Star by Emma Carroll
Farmer Duck by Martin Waddell
Such Stuff: A Story-Maker's Inspiration by Michael Morpurgo
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Jack Smith, age 11 - 'This book is full of tension and I couldn't put it down!This book can be scary so watch out when reading at night!'
- Georgie Docwra, age 11 - 'This story is gripping, thrilling and slightly scary!! Superb!'
- Amina Hassan, age 10 - 'I was spellbound. Your blood is sure to freeze. You are sure to be excited sad and shocked. Follow Lizzie on her journey of freedom love and bravery, if you have the guts!'
- Mia Pearse, age 10 - 'When I finished reading it I really wanted to read it again because it is such an amazing book.'
- Aminah, age 11 - 'Strange Star by Emma Carroll is one of the greatest books I have ever read!
- Ava Sorrell, age 9 - 'Strange Star is an amazing book for anyone who likes mystery, murder and mayhem!!!!'
- Sam Harper, age 11 - 'This creepy tale full of strange goings on will chill you to the bone and I loved the way it keeps you guessing right until the end. If you like a good scary story you’ll love this.'
- Olivia Lawrence, age 10 - 'Mysterious, fantastic, gripping.'
- Rose Hopkins, age 10 - 'Emma Carroll weaves a wonderfully gothic tale. A Frankenstein-like story but with many sudden terrors, shocks and twists.'
- Bethany Urquhart, age 10 - 'I have really enjoyed reading Strange Star by Emma Carroll. It is very good and pulled me into the story as it grasped me from the first page.'
- Toby Crawford, age 8 - 'A mesmerizing book based on the true tale of four writers in Switzerland back in the time of the Georgian era, 1816. I thoroughly enjoyed the mysterious unravelling plot.'
- Joshua Zinkin, age 11 - 'A really gripping and haunting read that suits all children aged 10 and over, who want a rich story and amazing characters.'
- Edward Bailey, age 11 - 'Cracking read! Strange Star is one of the best books I have ever read. Almost horror but nice to read at night. I WANT ANOTHER INSTALMENT!'
- Rosie Watch, Teacher - 'Maybe it’s me growing up with Frankenstein movies that made the writing that much more graphic, but it wasn’t a book to take to bed!'
Win a SIGNED hardback copy of Ottoline and the Purple Fox!
We are giving away 3 signed hardback copies of the fourth Ottoline adventure written and illustrated by Chris Riddell, Ottoline and the Purple Fox.
To have a chance of winning one of these great prizes, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter, multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once.
Draw closes on 5 December 2016. The winners will be notified by 16 December 2016 and you should have your prize in time for Christmas!
Strange Star by Emma Carroll
They were coming tonight to tell ghost stories. 'A tale to freeze the blood,' was the only rule.
Switzerland, 1816. On a stormy summer night, Lord Byron and his guests are gathered round the fire. Felix, their serving boy, can't wait to hear their creepy tales. Yet real life is about to take a chilling turn - more chilling than any tale. Frantic pounding at the front door reveals a stranger, a girl covered in the most unusual scars. She claims to be looking for her sister, supposedly snatched from England by a woman called Mary Shelley. Someone else has followed her here too, she says. And the girl is terrified.
‘A deliciously gothic thriller....Carroll's story is skillfully weaved, atmospheric, cinematic and best read late at night in one sitting. I think it's her best yet.’ Bookseller
Praise for Emma Carroll’s other novels:
‘An emotionally-charged historical tale and a very believable ghost story rolled into one.’ Telegraph on Frost Hollow Hall
‘An adventure of old-fashioned charm.’ The Sunday Times on The Girl Who Walked on Air
‘Absorbing, sensitive and genuinely magical in feel.’ Independent on In Darkling Wood
‘Emma Carroll writes original, timeless stories.’ The Times on The Snow Sister
About the Author
Interest Age: From 9
More books by Emma Carroll
Author's Facebook Latest
Faber & Faber
7th July 2016
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley
Lovereading is just a convenient way to find new books and hear others opinions on them.Sarah Murray – age 15
I think Lovereading4kids is an amazing company because of the friendly staff and the fabulous chance to read great books before publication.Adam Graham
Lovereading4kids is great, we get books really early never late. We love to read and review, and think you would like it too. The excitementJasmine Harris-Hart, age 12
I love all the books they recommend & put up for me to review. I also love the fact that they give new authors the chance to share their booDaisy Pennock – age 15
It’s a community united by a passion for books and promoting the best there is in children’s literature.Sam Bateman and family
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques