Written by Nilanjana Roy
Illustrated by Prabha Mallya
Lovereading4kids Price £6.39
£7.99 saving £1.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
July 2016 Debut of the Month The streets and alleys of the Nizamuddin quarter of Delhi provide the backdrop for this thrilling story of warrior cats. There’s a real sense of unease and danger in the opening chapters when a strange cat takes over the Sending, the psychic network through which the cats communicate. That cat is Mara, a house cat and no danger to the strays, or wildings as they call themselves. But they’ll need her help when a real danger threatens. Filled with a large cast of fascinating and unusual animal characters, tigers, weasels and birds as well of course cats, this is a real page-turner, and the cats’ eye view of the world is very cleverly maintained.
The description of this as a feline Watership Down is very apt. Readers would also enjoy the Warriors series by Erin Hunter, Inbali Iserles’s Tygrine Cat books and SF Said’s Varjak Paw novels. ~ Andrea Reece
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our older Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Sidney Greenslade, age 12 - 'The Wildings is an outstanding book set in a world of warrior cats who face a new and terrible danger. Exciting, touching and thrilling - read it now!'
- Toby Little, age 8 - 'I really enjoyed this book, and I think everybody should read it, because the author describes her places and objects really well, and the story is amazing and incredible.'
- Sam Harper, age 11 - 'This brilliant animal adventure is a must-read for anyone who loves animals, especially cats. I can’t wait for the next in the series. Fantastic!'
- Harriet Harper-Williams, age 10 - 'At the beginning it is a bit difficult to understand what is going on, but after the first few chapters you get really interested in the characters and in the story.'
- Mia Goodman, age 9 - 'It is full of adventure and enjoyable to read. I would recommend this book for anyone aged 12 plus as some of the vocabulary is quite hard to understand.'
- Josh Parcell, age 9 - 'This book is fantastic because it displays friendships, guts, battles and victory.'
- Charlotte Cassidy, age 11 - 'The Wildings is an exciting, gripping book that really pulled me into the story and made me want to keep reading more.'
- Anastasia Abdian, age 12 - 'To describe The Wildings in one word, it would be: flawless. This is a book that will draw you in and keep you hooked to the story the whole way through. '
- Evie Young, age 11 - 'I thought this book was really well written, the author really made me think about animals in the wild and how we should treat them. '
- Miyah Smith, age 10 - 'It took a while for me to get into this book, but when I did I really enjoyed it. It was beautifully written and probably one of the best books I’ve read this year.'
- Louie Mee, age 10 - 'There was too much description of the setting and the names were difficult to remember and this made it confusing.'
- Oliver Thorpe, age 10 - 'The Wildings is an addictive book. Once you get into it you can't get your head out of it.'
- Advika Mehta - 'The Wildings is an excellent book. It kept me occupied for a few hours and I wished it would last forever. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes adventure or animal books and who is age 8 or above.'
- Anastasia Abdian - 'To describe The Wildings in one word, it would be: flawless. This is a book that will draw you in and keep you hooked to the story the whole way through.'
- Edward Bailey, age 11 - 'Not the best, could be clearer.'
The Wildings by Nilanjana Roy
Pushkin Press brings you the thrilling adventures of a rebellious gang of street cats – an Indian Watership Down.
Prowling, hunting and fighting amidst the crumbling ruins of one of Delhi's oldest neighbourhoods, are the proud Wildings. These feral cats fear no one, go where they want and do as they please. Battle-scarred tomcats, fierce warrior queens, the Wildings have ruled over Nizamuddin for centuries. Now there is a new addition to the clan - a pampered housecat with strange powers that could turn their world on its head. And something is stirring in the old Shuttered House - something dark and cruel and dangerous. As a terrifying new enemy emerges from the shadows, the Wildings will need all the allies they can get, as they fight for Nizamuddin, and their lives.
Nilanjana Roy's stories are a delight to read Salman Rushdie
A vivid read The Times of India
A few pages into Nilanajana Roy's The Wildings, you'll wish you had whiskers and could mew... a page turner and a charming read DNA India
Could well become a classic in its own time Sunday Guardian
About the Author
More books by Nilanjana Roy
Pushkin Children's Books
7th July 2016
Pushkin Children's Books is an imprint of Pushkin Children's Books
Pushkin Children's Books was launched in 2013 to share tales from different languages and cultures with younger readers, and to open the door to the wide, colourful worlds these stories offer. From picture books and adventure stories to fairy tales and classics, and from fifty-year-old bestsellers to current huge successes abroad, the books on the Pushkin Childrens list reflect the very best stories from around the world, for our most discerning readers of all: children. Twitter @PushkinPress www.facebook.com/PushkinPress
I love Lovereading4kids because I get an opportunity to put my opinion forward and to try new booksElosie Clarkson – age 11
I love all the books they recommend & put up for me to review. I also love the fact that they give new authors the chance to share their booDaisy Pennock – age 15
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley
I love ‘LoveReading 4 kids’ because they let you read and learn things you’d never dreamed of learning before.Emily Horncastle – age 11
You give me age appropriate ideas of books I can read and buy for the children and find out what other children their age think of them too.Katie Lonsdale
This company is amazing; not only is it is a great opportunity to get books and review them but everyone is so friendly and supportive!Jemma Rubens, age 10
I love Lovereading because I often never know what to read and this helps you find a good book. I have recommended this to many people.Shannon-Louise Masters – age 15