The Secret Cooking Club
Written by Laurel Remington
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
One of our Books of the Year 2016 | August 2016 Debut of the Month | In a nutshell: cake baking | works | magic |
A delicious concoction of friendships, family and food and a worthy winner of the Times/Chicken House Children’s Fiction Competition 2015. Oh my goodness, I just loved this gentle, warm, funny tale. Laura’s writing is mouth wateringly wonderful and her characters lovable and real.
Poor Scarlett is the inspiration behind her mother’s cringeworthy, embarrassing blog and with headings such as Tap-dancing…did I give birth to three left feet? Or Did something die in that PE bag? we can understand why. Although anonymous, everyone knows that the posts are about her and hating her new found celebrity status Scarlett tries to disappear into the background leaving her friendless and lonely. Life has become a daily grind of keeping her head down and trying not to provide her mum with any new material - until that is she discovers an empty kitchen and a mysterious old cookbook. As she secretly teaches herself to cook Scarlett begins to wonder if she’ll ever find the magic ingredients for friendship and family.
This lovely tale is like a delicious cup of hot chocolate – sweet, scrumptious and will warm the cockles of your heart. ~ Shelley Fallows
One of our reader reviewers, Isaac East, loved this book so much he made some of the delicious recipes to treat his Granny and Grandad to afternoon tea!
In addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Beth de Lotbiniere, age 10 - 'I would recommend this book to anyone wants to find the secret ingredient to..... FRIENDSHIP, FAMILY and COOKING!'
- Scarlett Coffman, age 8 - 'Heart touching, Inspiring, Exciting...It was VERY addictive. Since reading this amazing book, I have decided it is my favourite book that I have read and I am looking forward to reading it again and seeing.
- Adiella Norridge - 'I loved this book and there are only four words to describe it - family, friends and fun. A brilliant read!'
- Emily Pitfield, age 11 - 'An 'unputdownable' touching story about family, friendship and food which I really enjoyed.'
- Hannah Minton, age 10 - 'A heart-warming yet modern tale which I loved - I didn't want it to end.'
- Lauren Randall, age 8 - 'Highly recommended dramatic story for 8 to 10 year olds.'
- Rose spear, age 11 - 'I love this book because it is full of suspense and you don't want to put it down.'
- Isaac East, age 10 - '10 out of 10 for Laurel Remington! She has written an amazing book about cooking, friendships and life.'
- Aimee, age 11 - 'The Secret Cooking Club is an amazing book for all readers to enjoy.'
- Sue - 'This is a delightful book that is touching, funny, sad and uplifting in turns.'
- Rosie Watch - 'It so cleverly incorporates so many topics and anxieties experienced by young teenagers and I know the girls in my classes will love it.'
- Mila Humphryes, age 9 - 'A fun, lip smacking page turner of a book about cake, friendship, boys and embarrassing mums. You can almost taste Laurel Remington's words!'
- Poppy Milburn - 'Every week, on Friday at exactly 8:00am, the next update of the blog goes live for all the world to see. But who is the star of that? Only shy Scarlett, the blogger's daughter.'
- Alexander Butler, age 12 - 'A story about relationships, friends and cooking. A great easy read.'
- Niamh Harkes, age 10 - 'Very interesting and a lot of fun to read...I loved it.'
- Farah, age 10 - 'I really liked the book, it was great.'
The Secret Cooking Club by Laurel Remington
Twelve-year-old Scarlett is the star and victim of her mum's popular blog - the butt of school jokes, she's eager to stay firmly out of the spotlight. But one evening, she finds a gorgeous kitchen in the house next door, left empty by an elderly neighbour in hospital. As Scarlett bakes, she starts to transform her life, discovering new friends and forming the Secret Cooking Club. But can she fix her family, seal her friendships and find the mysterious secret ingredient?
About the Author
More books by Laurel Remington
Chicken House Ltd
4th August 2016
You give me age appropriate ideas of books I can read and buy for the children and find out what other children their age think of them too.Katie Lonsdale
It’s a community united by a passion for books and promoting the best there is in children’s literature.Sam Bateman and family
A great way to introduce kids to great books, authors & genres. Parents can find age-appropriate books to share with their children.Judi Davies – Aberdare Girls Sch
Writing reviews help the children with their literacy skills and we always read the books together which gives us good quality family time!Cat Bisland (on behalf of the Bi
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14
I love Lovereading because I often never know what to read and this helps you find a good book. I have recommended this to many people.Shannon-Louise Masters – age 15
I love all the books they recommend & put up for me to review. I also love the fact that they give new authors the chance to share their booDaisy Pennock – age 15
At @HHSHaringey we love @lovereading4kids because our pupils can practice reviewing & get free upcoming books before anyone else!Helen Swinyard – Heartlands High