Written by Louis Sachar
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
The bestselling author of Holes tells a cracking new story in Fuzzy Mud featuring some truly terrifying genetically modified mud. When Marshall takes a short cut home to avoid being beaten up by Chad, the school bully who has been ruining his life for the past few weeks, he makes the worst decision of his life. Marshall heads into the woods even though he knows it is forbidden. Tamaya has no choice but to follow. After all, they have walked to and from school together every day for the past three years and she is not allowed to walk home alone. But when Chad pursues them the three discover exactly why the woods are out of bounds. Hideously damaged by the peculiar mud that lies deep in the woods what hope do they have of survival? And will they always be enemies? ~ Julia Eccleshare
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can click here to read their full reviews.
- Celeste Phelan, age 13 - 'I have read multiple books by Louis Sachar and this is definably my favourite. It is very mysterious, strange and sinister and I liked it a lot.'
- Jessica Lund - 'My favourite part of the book is when you read about interviews that help you to understand how the fuzzy mud was made and what it is supposed to do.'
- Adam Goodman, age 12 - 'A slow start but worth the wait as it ended up being a great read with lots of suspense and gruesome parts!'
- Aimee Sweet - 'I really liked this book and the way it built up until the climax, which was really good!'
- Jack Wilson, age 13 - 'Fuzzy Mud is an amazing book, which I couldn't put down. It was a great story from start to finish, with strong characters and good contrast.'
- Amelie Chatham, age 12 - 'I liked this book a lot and would rate it a 9 out of 10, I didn't give it a 10 mainly because I didn't understand the sums at the end of each chapter.'
- Natalie Hunter, age 13 - 'Fuzzy Mud is a really exciting and gripping book. I love all the characters and the plot is amazing. I couldn't put it down. I would recommend it to anyone and everyone.'
- Sophia Ufton - 'Amazing!! Loved this book so much.'
- Edel Waugh - 'this was the worst mistake they could make because there is something far scarier then a big lout of a bully in there, there is something that would scare even him!'
- Imogen Breaks, age 12 - 'I have read some of Sacher's books before and I really enjoyed them but I was disappointed when this one didn't work for me.It is about two kids who walk to school together and end up in trouble.'
Fuzzy Mud by Louis Sachar
If you go down to the woods today ...Well, every child knows NOT to, don't they? Tamaya is on a scholarship to the prestigious Woodridge Academy and every day she and seventh-grader Marshall walk to school together. They never go through the woods. And when they arrive at school they stop talking to each other - because Marshall can't be seen to be friends with a little kid like Tamaya. Especially not with Chad around. Chad-the-bully, who makes Marshall's life utterly miserable. But today, hoping to avoid Chad, Marshall and Tamaya decide to go through the woods ...And what is waiting there for them is strange, sinister and entirely unexpected. The next day, Chad doesn't turn up at school - no one knows where he is, not even his family. And Tamaya's arm is covered in a horribly, burning, itchy wound. As two unlikely heroes set out to rescue their bully, the town is about to be turned upside down by the mysterious Fuzzy Mud ...
A funny, sinister and thought-provoking comic thriller from the multimillion-copy selling author of Holes and There's a Boy in the Girls' Bathroom.
About the Author
More books by Louis Sachar
Bloomsbury Publishing PLC
4th August 2016
I love ‘LoveReading 4 kids’ because they let you read and learn things you’d never dreamed of learning before.Emily Horncastle – age 11
At @HHSHaringey we love @lovereading4kids because our pupils can practice reviewing & get free upcoming books before anyone else!Helen Swinyard – Heartlands High
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
A great way to introduce kids to great books, authors & genres. Parents can find age-appropriate books to share with their children.Judi Davies – Aberdare Girls Sch
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14
Love “Lovereading4kids” as my son gets to hear about & read new books before his mates which keeps him interested in reading=a very happy MumLiz Evans
You give me age appropriate ideas of books I can read and buy for the children and find out what other children their age think of them too.Katie Lonsdale