Written by Shane Hegarty
Illustrated by James De La Rue
Part of the Darkmouth Series
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
In a nutshell: monster monster-hunting fun
Book three in Shane Hegarty’s Darkmouth series serves up another helping of monster battles, with the skilful mix of humour and horror we’ve come to expect. Finn’s 13th birthday is approaching and it looks like he might have cleared Darkmouth of Legends, the hordes of creatures that have been terrifying the town for centuries. But he doesn’t feel like celebrating. His best friend Emmie has moved away, his dad is making him work harder at battle training than ever, plus he’s developed a new power that means even a sneeze can unleash a massive wave of energy and resulting chaos. And he doesn’t even know there’s a Legend out there and after revenge. The juxtaposition of monsters and the mundane is very funny, and the action scenes everything they should be – monstrous fun!
Fans of Artemis Fowl will enjoy visiting Darkmouth. For more monster fighting fun see the recently published Knights of the Borrowed Dark, or Jonathan Stroud’s brilliant Lockwood and Co. series. ~ Andrea Reece
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review the first title, Darkmouth: World's Explode. You can click here to read their full reviews.
- Jemima Wilcox, age 10 - 'Finn is a Legend Hunter but he doesn't know it and the monsters are coming.'
- Charlie Swan, age 8 - 'a funny and adventurous book.... I enjoyed it very much.'
- Sylvie Williams, age 9 - 'an exciting story full of adventures...If you like Skulduggery Pleasant books then you will definitely like Darkmouth. I am looking forward to the next book in the series!'
- Nathan Gray, age 10 - 'Excellent book.'
- Eleanor Cookdale, age 10 - 'This book is brilliant! Perfect for boys and girls who like to laugh and be scared.'
- Evie Young, age 9 - 'An exciting adventure story about a legend hunter called Finn. I couldn't stop reading it and can't wait to see what happens next.'
- Rose Hopkins - 'This was the best book yet (I actually asked to stay in at school lunchtime to read it)...The book ends on a huge cliffhanger. I’m desperate for there to be a sequel.'
- Charlotte Cassidy, age 9 - 'Spine-chilling totally awesome page turner of a book. I would recommend this brilliant book widely to all adventure lovers.'
- Joshua Zinkin, age 9 - 'I loved this book. It was gripping from the start and I wanted to read it all the time.This is an amazing book about monsters and humans.'
- Sam Harper, age 11 - 'The perfect combination of comedy and adventure which had me enthralled from the front cover to the final fight. A brilliant read!'
- Alice East, age 10 - 'Darkmouth is a book about creatures called "Legends" who attack villages. The only people who can stop them are Legend Hunters...This is a very funny book.'
- Holly Wilkins - 'Monsters, rescuing and Legends...'
- Tomasz Hawryszczuk - 'If you like adventure stories based in a fantasy world with some humour thrown in, this is the book for you. I would highly recommend it to boys and girls over the age of 9.'
- Gabriel Phelan, age 11 - 'This book has a mythical and intriguing flow throughout and appealed to me in many ways.'
Win a copy of The Bolds!
We are giving away 5 copies of The Bolds, the first in Julian Clary's hilarious series about a family of hyenas living in disguise. To have a chance of winning one of these great prizes, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter, multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once.
The draw closes on 2 March 2017. The winners will be notified by 16 March 2017.
Chaos Descends by Shane Hegarty
The adventures of the most unfortunate Legend Hunter ever to don fighting armour and pick up a desiccator continue...Finn's been through so much, he'll now be allowed do what he wants with the rest of his life, right? Wrong. Whether he likes it or not, he's going to be made a proper Legend Hunter. But then suddenly people start disappearing, Legends are appearing where they shouldn't, Broonie's complaining, Emmie's got a secret - and an attack so big is coming that Finn has the weight of the world on his shoulders. The weight of two worlds, actually...
Praise for Darkmouth
'Hilarious and exciting. Terrifying and heart-stopping. Everything a great fantasy series should be. The next big thing is here.' Eoin Colfer, author of Artemis Fowl
'Hegarty writes surely, unpretentiously and amusingly, drawing up beguiling characters and constructing a plot which simply skips along. Great for primary school children studying myths and legends.' The Times
'A cracking debut novel, packed with wonderful characters and imaginative gadgets, and the fast-paced action is underpinned with a dry wit. The first in the series should win an enthusiastic readership impatient for the next title.' Daily Mail
About the Author
Interest Age: From 9
More books by Shane Hegarty
HarperCollins Children's Books an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers
28th July 2016
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14
I love finding new books to read. My mummy and me look at the new ones coming out. I have written reviews of some of them!Jessica Cobbin – age 7
It’s really exciting to read and review new books, thrilling to see my reviews online and I love finding the final published copies on sale.Sam Harper – age 10
Lovereading4kids is great, we get books really early never late. We love to read and review, and think you would like it too. The excitementJasmine Harris-Hart, age 12
Writing reviews help the children with their literacy skills and we always read the books together which gives us good quality family time!Cat Bisland (on behalf of the Bi
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7
I love lovereading4kids because I’ve read amazing books I would never have picked up, and its opened doors to new genre’s I now love.Harriet Cunningham
I love Lovereading4kids because I get an opportunity to put my opinion forward and to try new booksElosie Clarkson – age 11