Messenger of Fear
Written by Michael Grant
Part of the Messenger of Fear Series
Lovereading4kids Price £6.39
£7.99 saving £1.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
September 2014 Book of the Month Warning: if you only like lovely, gentle, sweet books, read this at your peril! This is painful, often uncomfortable, yet utterly fascinating… this is quite simply a novel to bury yourself in. Mara finds herself in a frightening new world, with the Messenger of Fear acting as her mentor she struggles to understand her role and the terrors that surround her. Mara has lessons to learn, memories to grasp and truth to recognise. The writing allows you to start to absorb and possibly begin to comprehend Mara’s story before she herself does, the impact of the ending though will still completely bombard your senses. This is not a story about an answer, this is a story about a totally gripping and compelling journey. ~ Liz Robinson
Teens love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert review, some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews here.
- Kynthia Ravikumar, age 14 - 'An unique book full of strange yet interesting ideas. Huge twists- great for Michael Grant fans.'
- Nat, age 17 - 'Behave or you will get the visit of the Messenger of Fear...It is a very original book, not just the story but also the way it is written. It has a twist at the end that you do not expect.'
- Lisa Phin - 'A powerful look at how our actions affect others and the consequences we must face.'
- Sophia Ufton - 'Wow!! What an amazing read, loved every second of the book!'
- Amelia White, age 14 - 'A mysterious, supernatural book. Do we really know how the world work? Are accidents really accidents?'
- Rose Heathcote, age 15 - 'This book is a real page turner it has a mix of real life problems with fascinating fictional events, a fantastic partnership which keeps you hooked. A must read for both teenage girls and boys.'
- Thora Harrison, age 13 - 'This book is AWESOMELY EXCITING and yet manages to be emotional at the same time. I loved it!'
- Esmé Molloy, age 14 - 'Scares with every sentence.'
- Emily Kinder, age 13 - 'Drama, intrigue and unbearable tension - Mara's fractured story is the epitome of an incredible book. The enigmatic Messenger takes her on a gruesome journey, as she remembers her troubled past.'
- Lorraine Baker - 'Sorry but for me it is not a patch on the authors previous books.'
Messenger of Fear by Michael Grant
I remembered my name - Mara. But, standing in that ghostly place, faced with the solemn young man in the black coat with silver skulls for buttons, I could recall nothing else about myself. And then the games began. Think you know the meaning of suspense? Think again...The Messenger sees the darkness in young hearts, and the damage it inflicts upon the world. If they go unpunished, he offers the wicked a game. Win, and they can go free. Lose, and they will live out their greatest fear. But what does any of this have to do with Mara? She is about to find out...
About the Author
Interest Age: From 12
More books by Michael Grant
Author's Facebook Latest
Electric Monkey an imprint of Egmont UK Ltd
16th April 2015
It’s really exciting to read and review new books, thrilling to see my reviews online and I love finding the final published copies on sale.Sam Harper – age 10
It’s a community united by a passion for books and promoting the best there is in children’s literature.Sam Bateman and family
It is THE website to use for narrowing down your search for any book. Definitely knocks the socks off any other book review website.Nickey and Tomasz Hawryszczuk
I love finding new books to read. My mummy and me look at the new ones coming out. I have written reviews of some of them!Jessica Cobbin – age 7
We love Lovereading4kids because it promotes reading choices, new authors and a sense of community for children of all ages!Rachel Bridgeman
LoveReading4Kids is a modern and creative way of emphasising the value and importance of books in this digital age #booksforlifeAmrit Bunet – Teen
I love Lovereading4kids because I get an opportunity to put my opinion forward and to try new booksElosie Clarkson – age 11
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7