Written by Peter Bunzl
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
September 2016 Debut of the Month
In a nutshell: tick-tocking frequently airborne adventure From its opening scene aboard an airship harpooned in mid-air, Cogheart is filled with fabulous visual images and a tangible sense of adventure. It follows the story of Lily, whose inventor father is missing, presumed dead after the airship crash. What secrets was he keeping and why are others so determined to find them out? Lily is a great character but readers’ hearts are likely to be won by her companion Malkin, a clockwork fox, one of many automatons created by her father. The story proceeds at speed reaching its climax – where else – but on the face of Big Ben, the world’s most famous clock!
Some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were lucky enough to read and review Cogheart. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Isabella Campbell, age 11 - 'Cogheart is an amazing book. From the outset, the characters and the treacherous plots take you on a thrilling, magical journey of adventure and the final twists will leave you spinning.'
- Rohan Delamere, age 10 - 'A steampunk fantasy adventure that had me gripped with its brilliantly woven characters and cast of mechanical wonders. An amazing read!'
- Erica Motoc, age 10 - 'this book is perfect for children who like drama and moments of tension that make you hold your breath at every written word.'
- Iulia Motoc, age 8 - 'The story is full of descriptions.'
- Sam Harper, age 11 - 'A really different and exciting adventure full of fantastic creations, twists and turns. I loved it!'
- Caitlin Hill, age 9 - 'I loved this book from the start, it was so exciting that I read it really quickly!'
- Freddie Barth von Wehrenalp, age 9 - 'Cogheart is an amazing book that I would recommend for anyone aged 8 and over. It is my favourite book I've read this holiday!'
- Zoe Basson, age 9 - 'This book swept me away into a world of pure imagination.'
- Maia Fuller, age 11- 'I don’t think anyone could not like it. It’s not a book for girls only, or for boys only, everyone will love it! I would give it 11/10!'
- Emily Lonsdale, age 10 - 'Though I found the plot a little slow, I would recommend it if you were looking for something different.'
- Charlie Swan, age 10 - 'The book was absolutely brilliant and one of the best I've ever read - a story of sadness, happiness, comedy and adventure - lots of it!'
- Louie Mee, age 11 - ' The ending was a huge surprise! I won't spoil it... Go and get this book! It's one of the best I've reviewed so I'd give it 4.5/5.'
Cogheart by Peter Bunzl
When 13-year-old Lily's inventor father vanishes after a Zeppelin crash, Lily's determined to hunt down the truth behind his disappearance, helped by Robert, the local clockmaker's son, and her wily mechanical fox Malkin. But shadowy figures are closing in and treachery lurks among the smoky spires of London - along with a life-changing secret. Be swept away by airships and flabbergasted by dastardly plots in this extraordinary and wildly imaginative debut, bursting with invention and adventure.
“A timeless adventure” – Piers Torday
About the Author
More books by Peter Bunzl
Usborne Publishing Ltd
1st September 2016
I love lovereading4kids because I’ve read amazing books I would never have picked up, and its opened doors to new genre’s I now love.Harriet Cunningham
It’s a community united by a passion for books and promoting the best there is in children’s literature.Sam Bateman and family
At @HHSHaringey we love @lovereading4kids because our pupils can practice reviewing & get free upcoming books before anyone else!Helen Swinyard – Heartlands High
I love all the books they recommend & put up for me to review. I also love the fact that they give new authors the chance to share their booDaisy Pennock – age 15
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
We love Lovereading4kids because it promotes reading choices, new authors and a sense of community for children of all ages!Rachel Bridgeman
Lovereading4kids is great, we get books really early never late. We love to read and review, and think you would like it too. The excitementJasmine Harris-Hart, age 12
This company is amazing; not only is it is a great opportunity to get books and review them but everyone is so friendly and supportive!Jemma Rubens, age 10