Written by Peter Bunzl
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
September 2016 Debut of the Month
In a nutshell: tick-tocking frequently airborne adventure From its opening scene aboard an airship harpooned in mid-air, Cogheart is filled with fabulous visual images and a tangible sense of adventure. It follows the story of Lily, whose inventor father is missing, presumed dead after the airship crash. What secrets was he keeping and why are others so determined to find them out? Lily is a great character but readers’ hearts are likely to be won by her companion Malkin, a clockwork fox, one of many automatons created by her father. The story proceeds at speed reaching its climax – where else – but on the face of Big Ben, the world’s most famous clock!
Some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were lucky enough to read and review Cogheart. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Isabella Campbell, age 11 - 'Cogheart is an amazing book. From the outset, the characters and the treacherous plots take you on a thrilling, magical journey of adventure and the final twists will leave you spinning.'
- Rohan Delamere, age 10 - 'A steampunk fantasy adventure that had me gripped with its brilliantly woven characters and cast of mechanical wonders. An amazing read!'
- Erica Motoc, age 10 - 'this book is perfect for children who like drama and moments of tension that make you hold your breath at every written word.'
- Iulia Motoc, age 8 - 'The story is full of descriptions.'
- Sam Harper, age 11 - 'A really different and exciting adventure full of fantastic creations, twists and turns. I loved it!'
- Caitlin Hill, age 9 - 'I loved this book from the start, it was so exciting that I read it really quickly!'
- Freddie Barth von Wehrenalp, age 9 - 'Cogheart is an amazing book that I would recommend for anyone aged 8 and over. It is my favourite book I've read this holiday!'
- Zoe Basson, age 9 - 'This book swept me away into a world of pure imagination.'
- Maia Fuller, age 11- 'I don’t think anyone could not like it. It’s not a book for girls only, or for boys only, everyone will love it! I would give it 11/10!'
- Emily Lonsdale, age 10 - 'Though I found the plot a little slow, I would recommend it if you were looking for something different.'
- Charlie Swan, age 10 - 'The book was absolutely brilliant and one of the best I've ever read - a story of sadness, happiness, comedy and adventure - lots of it!'
- Louie Mee, age 11 - ' The ending was a huge surprise! I won't spoil it... Go and get this book! It's one of the best I've reviewed so I'd give it 4.5/5.'
Win an original print from The Pavee and the Buffer Girl
Siobhan Dowd's powerful story of the fight against racism and prejudice, The Pavee and the Buffer Girl, has been reissued as a splendid graphic novel with stunning illustrations by Emma Shoard. We are giving away an ORIGINAL print from the book (shown here) and a copy SIGNED by Emma.
To have a chance of winning this special prize, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter, multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once.
The draw closes on 3 May 2017. The winners will be notified by 15 May 2017.
Cogheart by Peter Bunzl
When 13-year-old Lily's inventor father vanishes after a Zeppelin crash, Lily's determined to hunt down the truth behind his disappearance, helped by Robert, the local clockmaker's son, and her wily mechanical fox Malkin. But shadowy figures are closing in and treachery lurks among the smoky spires of London - along with a life-changing secret. Be swept away by airships and flabbergasted by dastardly plots in this extraordinary and wildly imaginative debut, bursting with invention and adventure.
“A gem of a book” – Katherine Woodfine
"A glittering clockwork treasure” – Piers Torday
“Vivid and gripping” – Kiran Millwood Hargrave
“A steampunky tale of ambition, pursuit and revenge” - The Guardian
“A gripping story” – The Irish Times
About the Author
More books by Peter Bunzl
Usborne Publishing Ltd
1st September 2016
I love Lovereading as it provides an honest opinion and showcases a range of fiction. Suited to both parents & kids alike, it’s a must-use.Georgie Rowe – age 16
I have told all my friends, family & teachers to see for themselves just how great the site is. Without fail, they are hugely impressed.Alexander Boxall – age 11
I love all the books they recommend & put up for me to review. I also love the fact that they give new authors the chance to share their booDaisy Pennock – age 15
I love Lovereading because I often never know what to read and this helps you find a good book. I have recommended this to many people.Shannon-Louise Masters – age 15
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7
I love finding new books to read. My mummy and me look at the new ones coming out. I have written reviews of some of them!Jessica Cobbin – age 7
Love “Lovereading4kids” as my son gets to hear about & read new books before his mates which keeps him interested in reading=a very happy MumLiz Evans
I love lovereading4kids because I’ve read amazing books I would never have picked up, and its opened doors to new genre’s I now love.Harriet Cunningham