The Cat and the King
Written by Nick Sharratt
Illustrated by Nick Sharratt
Lovereading4kids Price £8.79
£10.99 saving £2.20 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
September 2016 Debut of the Month | In a nutshell: living like a king in a bungalow | Nick Sharratt’s picture books are instantly recognisable to every child and parent in the country, and much loved; this new book, astonishingly the first full-length adventure he’s written, will be another huge favourite. When an Unfortunate Incident occurs at the palace (it involves a dragon), the King and his best friend the cat are forced to move. They settle into a dormer bungalow, making friends with the neighbours, shopping at the supermarket and buying furniture and knick-knacks at a car boot sale. The King’s childlike innocence (he’s not sure how keys work, gets impatient waiting for the bus) is both comic and touching, as is the way the cat loves and cares for him. There’s drama when the dragon returns, before a very happy ever after, and this will have everyone smiling. ~ Andrea Reece
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Emma, Sam and Jack Radford - 'We loved The Cat and the King! The illustrations are fantastic, and the story really made us giggle.'
- Rob Anderson, age 6 - 'Very funny book about a Cat and a King. I liked this book. I thought it was good...I now want to make the shortbread at the back of the book.'
- Rob's Mum - 'Excellent book.... It is broken up into relatively short chapters, with plenty of humorous pictures. My son was in fit of giggles with the illustrations.'
- Lucy Collings, age 6 - 'This is a funny book for confident readers with lots of pictures to keep you interested.'
- Robyn Chorley, age 7 - 'A funny, entertaining book - Robyn instantly loved it!'
- Elliot Bateman, age 8 - 'I liked this book...The gold book cover is a really clever addition. The gold makes you think of Kings! Normally books are black and grey and other dull colours and sometimes they are even pink! This book looks much better and reads much better too.'
- Nicola & Ruby Laverty, age 7 - 'Ruby was immediately grabbed by it and started to read it to herself. By the end of the next day she had finished it, giving it '100 out of 100.'
- Liam Hill, age 7 - 'This was a funny book about a King and a cat and a naughty dragon who ruins the king's castle.'
Win a Beast Quest Goodie Bag!
To mark the 10th Birthday of The Beast Quest series we are giving away THREE goodie bags filled with Beast Quest treats including temporary tattoos, pens, a printed bag and books from the series!
To have a chance of winning one of these super prizes, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter, multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once.
The draw closes on 29 May 2017. The winners will be notified by 5 June 2017.
The Cat and the King by Nick Sharratt
The cat and the King must find a new home after their castle burns down in an Unfortunate Incident with a dragon. They choose Number 37 Castle Close, and the cat introduces the King to all sorts of new experiences, from washing-up to shopping. Then danger looms when the pesky, fire-breathing dragon makes its return.
About the Author
More books by Nick Sharratt
Alison Green Books an imprint of Scholastic
1st September 2016
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
It is THE website to use for narrowing down your search for any book. Definitely knocks the socks off any other book review website.Nickey and Tomasz Hawryszczuk
I love Lovereading as it provides an honest opinion and showcases a range of fiction. Suited to both parents & kids alike, it’s a must-use.Georgie Rowe – age 16
Lovereading is just a convenient way to find new books and hear others opinions on them.Sarah Murray – age 15
We love Lovereading4kids because it promotes reading choices, new authors and a sense of community for children of all ages!Rachel Bridgeman
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7
LoveReading4Kids is a modern and creative way of emphasising the value and importance of books in this digital age #booksforlifeAmrit Bunet – Teen
I love Lovereading4kids because I get an opportunity to put my opinion forward and to try new booksElosie Clarkson – age 11