The Cat and the King
Written by Nick Sharratt
Illustrated by Nick Sharratt
Lovereading4kids Price £8.79
£10.99 saving £2.20 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
September 2016 Debut of the Month | In a nutshell: living like a king in a bungalow | Nick Sharratt’s picture books are instantly recognisable to every child and parent in the country, and much loved; this new book, astonishingly the first full-length adventure he’s written, will be another huge favourite. When an Unfortunate Incident occurs at the palace (it involves a dragon), the King and his best friend the cat are forced to move. They settle into a dormer bungalow, making friends with the neighbours, shopping at the supermarket and buying furniture and knick-knacks at a car boot sale. The King’s childlike innocence (he’s not sure how keys work, gets impatient waiting for the bus) is both comic and touching, as is the way the cat loves and cares for him. There’s drama when the dragon returns, before a very happy ever after, and this will have everyone smiling. ~ Andrea Reece
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Emma, Sam and Jack Radford - 'We loved The Cat and the King! The illustrations are fantastic, and the story really made us giggle.'
- Rob Anderson, age 6 - 'Very funny book about a Cat and a King. I liked this book. I thought it was good...I now want to make the shortbread at the back of the book.'
- Rob's Mum - 'Excellent book.... It is broken up into relatively short chapters, with plenty of humorous pictures. My son was in fit of giggles with the illustrations.'
- Lucy Collings, age 6 - 'This is a funny book for confident readers with lots of pictures to keep you interested.'
- Robyn Chorley, age 7 - 'A funny, entertaining book - Robyn instantly loved it!'
- Elliot Bateman, age 8 - 'I liked this book...The gold book cover is a really clever addition. The gold makes you think of Kings! Normally books are black and grey and other dull colours and sometimes they are even pink! This book looks much better and reads much better too.'
- Nicola & Ruby Laverty, age 7 - 'Ruby was immediately grabbed by it and started to read it to herself. By the end of the next day she had finished it, giving it '100 out of 100.'
- Liam Hill, age 7 - 'This was a funny book about a King and a cat and a naughty dragon who ruins the king's castle.'
Win a HARDBACK copy of Diary of a Wimpy Kid Double Down!
The Wimpy Kid is back! To celebrate the publication of the 11th book in this bestselling series from Jeff Kinney we are giving away FIVE HARDBACK copies of Double Down!
To have a chance of winning one of these great prizes, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter, multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once.
Draw closes on 5 December 2016. The winners will be notified by 16 December 2016 and you should have your prize in time for Christmas!
The Cat and the King by Nick Sharratt
The cat and the King must find a new home after their castle burns down in an Unfortunate Incident with a dragon. They choose Number 37 Castle Close, and the cat introduces the King to all sorts of new experiences, from washing-up to shopping. Then danger looms when the pesky, fire-breathing dragon makes its return.
About the Author
More books by Nick Sharratt
Alison Green Books an imprint of Scholastic
1st September 2016
It is THE website to use for narrowing down your search for any book. Definitely knocks the socks off any other book review website.Nickey and Tomasz Hawryszczuk
I think Lovereading4kids is an amazing company because of the friendly staff and the fabulous chance to read great books before publication.Adam Graham
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14
I love lovereading4kids because I’ve read amazing books I would never have picked up, and its opened doors to new genre’s I now love.Harriet Cunningham
I love Lovereading because I often never know what to read and this helps you find a good book. I have recommended this to many people.Shannon-Louise Masters – age 15
Lovereading is just a convenient way to find new books and hear others opinions on them.Sarah Murray – age 15
A great way to introduce kids to great books, authors & genres. Parents can find age-appropriate books to share with their children.Judi Davies – Aberdare Girls Sch
Lovereading4kids is great, we get books really early never late. We love to read and review, and think you would like it too. The excitementJasmine Harris-Hart, age 12