Written by Clara Vulliamy
Illustrated by Clara Vulliamy
Part of the Mango and Bambang Series
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
Bambang the tapir makes his way from the jungle to the big city where he is lucky enough to be found by Mango, a very capable little girl. Though by nature he’s rather timid, she looks after him beautifully, showing him automatic doors and ice cream and trams and other wonderful things, and even finds a pond for him to swim in. Mango and Bambang are totally charming, while Polly Faber’s writing and Clara Vulliamy’s lively images – black and white and purple only – are delightful. There’s something of Paddington about Bambang – he has the same sort of innocence and a similar potential for causing mayhem! These stories already feel like little classics, and children will love them. ~ Andrea Reece
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Becca Urquhart, age 6 - 'I really really liked the story. It was funny, exciting and adventurous.'
- Georgia Docwra, age 10 - 'As soon as I saw this book I WANTED to read it!!!!'
- Eliza Kinder, age 8 - 'This is a book about a little girl who is a bit lonely, and who needs company. One day she finds a tapir, and they have adventures together.'
- Enora Hauduc, age 7 - 'I would recommend this book for children who like problems with unusual solutions.'
- Sabina Beinart-Smith, age 7 - 'I think Mango and Bambang was ever so funny and really good because I couldn’t get my nose out of it. I read it with my daddy and my mummy and it must be funny if my daddy laughed.'
- Rachel Zinkin, age 8 - 'An amazing book for kids with fabulous illustrations.'
- Emily, age 6 - 'This is an exciting and humorous story.'
- Cassandra Butler, age 6 - 'Four lovely and easy to read stories about a little girl called Mango who befriends a pig like animal and has some adventures.'
The Not-A-Pig by Clara Vulliamy
Mango Allsorts is good at all sorts of things, not just karate and chess. Bambang is most definitely not-a-pig and is now lost in a very busy city. When the two unexpectedly meet, a friendship begins, filled with adventures, and of course, plenty of banana pancakes.
The Not-a-Pig is Book One in a brilliant series from Polly Faber and Clara Vulliamy.
About the Author
Interest Age: From 6
More books by Clara Vulliamy
Walker Books Ltd
1st September 2016
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East
You give me age appropriate ideas of books I can read and buy for the children and find out what other children their age think of them too.Katie Lonsdale
I love ‘LoveReading 4 kids’ because they let you read and learn things you’d never dreamed of learning before.Emily Horncastle – age 11
A great way to introduce kids to great books, authors & genres. Parents can find age-appropriate books to share with their children.Judi Davies – Aberdare Girls Sch
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
It is THE website to use for narrowing down your search for any book. Definitely knocks the socks off any other book review website.Nickey and Tomasz Hawryszczuk
At @HHSHaringey we love @lovereading4kids because our pupils can practice reviewing & get free upcoming books before anyone else!Helen Swinyard – Heartlands High