Written by Kieran Larwood
Illustrated by David Wyatt
Lovereading4kids Price £7.99
£9.99 saving £2.00 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
Winner of the Blue Peter Book Award 2017 - Best Story
In a nutshell: rabbit heroes | rabbit villains | magic and heroism | ‘Stories aren’t all about fighting and revenge. You have to have a bit of character development. Some suspense, some atmosphere’. So says the bard telling the story of rabbit hero Podkin One-Ear, and his tale certainly has all those things. Podkin is son of the chieftain of the Munbury warren but forced to flee with his baby brother and capable big sister Paz when their home is invaded by the terrifiying Gorm, iron-clad monster rabbits turned evil by greed and enchantment. The story of how their little band grows to start the fight back against the Gorm is full of magic, narrow escapes and heroic deeds. Written in a very engaging style, regular breaks when the bard discusses the story with his audience both building and easing tension, this is a great bit of storytelling. Readers will hope for more adventures for Podkin and Paz.
On his Blue Peter win, Kieran Larwood said: “I am hugely excited to have won the Blue Peter Book Award. It is such an honour, especially as I grew up watching Blue Peter, and the fact that it was voted for by children makes it all the more amazing.”
Kids love to read and so in addition to the review by one of the Lovereading4kids editorial experts some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel members were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Alex, age 10 - 'The descriptions were written so well that I could imagine the characters’ everyday lives - including their worries and hopes! Wow!'
- Cally Evans, age 10 - 'This is one of the best books I have ever read and, believe me, I have read a lot!'
- Sam Harper, age 11 - 'Like The Lord of the Rings and Watership Down mixed together, this magical adventure pulled me in from the very first page and I just couldn’t put it down.'
- Mariyya Khan, age 9 - 'This was probably the best book I have ever read.'
- Evie, age 11 - 'Rabbits with attitude, an exciting adventure story.'
- Alex Bateman, age 10 - 'Sublime, Splendid, Superb! It’s an adventure that keeps you wanting to read on and on into the night...a joy to read and absolutely world class.'
- Bella Perez, age 11 - 'It’s a captivating story...a book that can push your imagination beyond your boundaries.'
- Tariq Mustfa, age 11 - 'Podkin One-Ear is a fantastic book about a rabbit called Podkin...I would definitely recommend this book.'
- Isabel, age 9 - 'An unusual adventure story which I loved.'
- Summer, age 10 - 'my little brother now asks me every night for me to tell him about The Legend of Podkin One-Ear and I think it will be a story that we will both remember when we have grown up.'
- Hattie Benton, age 11 - 'This is a book worth reading. It's a mixture of fantasy, bravery and mischievousness and proves that it doesn't matter how big you are!'
Podkin One-Ear by Kieran Larwood
A thick white blanket covers the wide slopes of the band of hills some call the Razorback Downs...Podkin One-Ear is a legend: a fearsome warrior rabbit whose reputation for cunning and triumph in battle has travelled the ages. But how did he become such a mighty fighter? The answer may surprise you...
When a travelling bard arrives at Thornwood Warren on Midwinter night, he is warmly welcomed. In return for food and lodging, he settles down to tell the tale of Podkin One-Ear - and soon the rabbits are enthralled to hear the story of how one lost little rabbit overcame the cruellest enemy imaginable, and became the greatest warrior their land has ever known.
About the Author
Interest Age: From 9
More books by Kieran Larwood
Faber & Faber
6th October 2016
LoveReading4Kids is a modern and creative way of emphasising the value and importance of books in this digital age #booksforlifeAmrit Bunet – Teen
We love Lovereading4kids because it promotes reading choices, new authors and a sense of community for children of all ages!Rachel Bridgeman
Lovereading4kids is great, we get books really early never late. We love to read and review, and think you would like it too. The excitementJasmine Harris-Hart, age 12
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7
I love ‘LoveReading 4 kids’ because they let you read and learn things you’d never dreamed of learning before.Emily Horncastle – age 11
A great way to introduce kids to great books, authors & genres. Parents can find age-appropriate books to share with their children.Judi Davies – Aberdare Girls Sch
This company is amazing; not only is it is a great opportunity to get books and review them but everyone is so friendly and supportive!Jemma Rubens, age 10
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils