Written by Kieran Larwood
Illustrated by David Wyatt
Lovereading4kids Price £7.99
£9.99 saving £2.00 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
Shortlisted for the Blue Peter Book Award 2017 - Best Story
In a nutshell: rabbit heroes | rabbit villains | magic and heroism | ‘Stories aren’t all about fighting and revenge. You have to have a bit of character development. Some suspense, some atmosphere’. So says the bard telling the story of rabbit hero Podkin One-Ear, and his tale certainly has all those things. Podkin is son of the chieftain of the Munbury warren but forced to flee with his baby brother and capable big sister Paz when their home is invaded by the terrifiying Gorm, iron-clad monster rabbits turned evil by greed and enchantment. The story of how their little band grows to start the fight back against the Gorm is full of magic, narrow escapes and heroic deeds. Written in a very engaging style, regular breaks when the bard discusses the story with his audience both building and easing tension, this is a great bit of storytelling. Readers will hope for more adventures for Podkin and Paz.
Kids love to read and so in addition to the review by one of the Lovereading4kids editorial experts some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel members were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Alex, age 10 - 'The descriptions were written so well that I could imagine the characters’ everyday lives - including their worries and hopes! Wow!'
- Cally Evans, age 10 - 'This is one of the best books I have ever read and, believe me, I have read a lot!'
- Sam Harper, age 11 - 'Like The Lord of the Rings and Watership Down mixed together, this magical adventure pulled me in from the very first page and I just couldn’t put it down.'
- Mariyya Khan, age 9 - 'This was probably the best book I have ever read.'
- Evie, age 11 - 'Rabbits with attitude, an exciting adventure story.'
- Alex Bateman, age 10 - 'Sublime, Splendid, Superb! It’s an adventure that keeps you wanting to read on and on into the night...a joy to read and absolutely world class.'
- Bella Perez, age 11 - 'It’s a captivating story...a book that can push your imagination beyond your boundaries.'
- Tariq Mustfa, age 11 - 'Podkin One-Ear is a fantastic book about a rabbit called Podkin...I would definitely recommend this book.'
- Isabel, age 9 - 'An unusual adventure story which I loved.'
- Summer, age 10 - 'my little brother now asks me every night for me to tell him about The Legend of Podkin One-Ear and I think it will be a story that we will both remember when we have grown up.'
- Hattie Benton, age 11 - 'This is a book worth reading. It's a mixture of fantasy, bravery and mischievousness and proves that it doesn't matter how big you are!'
Win a copy of The Bolds!
We are giving away 5 copies of The Bolds, the first in Julian Clary's hilarious series about a family of hyenas living in disguise. To have a chance of winning one of these great prizes, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter, multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once.
The draw closes on 2 March 2017. The winners will be notified by 16 March 2017.
Podkin One-Ear by Kieran Larwood
A thick white blanket covers the wide slopes of the band of hills some call the Razorback Downs...Podkin One-Ear is a legend: a fearsome warrior rabbit whose reputation for cunning and triumph in battle has travelled the ages. But how did he become such a mighty fighter? The answer may surprise you...
When a travelling bard arrives at Thornwood Warren on Midwinter night, he is warmly welcomed. In return for food and lodging, he settles down to tell the tale of Podkin One-Ear - and soon the rabbits are enthralled to hear the story of how one lost little rabbit overcame the cruellest enemy imaginable, and became the greatest warrior their land has ever known.
About the Author
Interest Age: From 9
More books by Kieran Larwood
Faber & Faber
6th October 2016
I love Lovereading4kids because I get an opportunity to put my opinion forward and to try new booksElosie Clarkson – age 11
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14
I love Lovereading as it provides an honest opinion and showcases a range of fiction. Suited to both parents & kids alike, it’s a must-use.Georgie Rowe – age 16
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7
I love finding new books to read. My mummy and me look at the new ones coming out. I have written reviews of some of them!Jessica Cobbin – age 7
I love lovereading4kids because I’ve read amazing books I would never have picked up, and its opened doors to new genre’s I now love.Harriet Cunningham