Written by Mark Powers
Illustrated by Tim Wesson
Lovereading4kids Price £4.79
£5.99 saving £1.20 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
In a nutshell: band of toy superheroes conquer all in a doll eat doll world | The Spy Toys are quite possibly the unlikeliest band of superheroes you could to hope to read about: Dan is a teddy bear accidentally built 1000 times stronger than he should have been; Arabella is a rag doll with the attitude of a bad-tempered rattlesnake; and Flax the rabbit is actually a custom-made police robot. All of them have computerised brains so, rejected by the specialised toy factory that made them, they are recruited by the mysterious Auntie, head of the Department of Secret Affairs and assigned a special mission to protect the prime minister’s son. A fast-moving adventure ensues, a mix of daft but exciting action scenes, wisecracks, slapstick and some proper character development too. Black and white illustrations by Tim Wesson add to the all-round appeal.
Kids love to read and so in addition to the review by one of the Lovereading4kids editorial experts some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel members were also lucky enough to read and review this title. Click here to read their full reviews.
- Phoenix Williams, age 8 - 'This book is very adventurous. It was hard to put it down...I would give this 4.5 stars.'
- Stanley Howarth, age 9 - ‘This book is amazing from start to finish, I read it in 1 day as I couldn’t put it down.’
- Llew Harrison, age 9 - ‘Mark Powers is an excellent children's author! It's so good I read it twice! Packed with adventure, with an equal amount of comedy (just how I like it!) Mark Powers is an excellent children's author! It's so good I read it twice!’
- Connor Lobban, age 8 - ‘The story was very gripping and the pictures were really detailed. There were a few cliff-hangers even at the end. I can't wait to read the next one.’
- Suhaiba Khan, age 8 - ‘I enjoyed reading the Spy Toys book because it made me use my imagination and made me go into a fantasy world. I really enjoyed reading the book and couldn’t put it down I would give it 9 out of 10.’
- Marcus North, age 9 - ‘An exciting story with lots of twists and turns. I got so immersed in this book I never wanted this book to end!’
- Daniel Bisland, age 9 - ‘I give this book 5* because it’s funny and I’m a wannabe spy so I like anything spy related. I recommend it to 8+ wannabe spies. I can’t wait for the second book to come out and I’m looking forward to exploring the app!’
- Freddie Barth von Wehrenalp, age 9 - ‘Funny adventure stories, with frequent surprises. Great for 7+ I read this in one sitting.’
- Stephanie Chaplin - ‘I think this book was an amazing read but aimed more for younger kids around 7+. I enjoyed reading this book even though it was for younger kids. I loved this book and I can’t wait to read and review my next book.’
- Toby Little, age 8 - ‘I enjoyed this book because it’s full of action and good for all ages between 6 and 11. There’s even a game app linked to the book. It’s the first in a series, so get ready to read some more!’
- Jasper Milburn, age 9 - ‘This story was a stick your head in the book and a must have. Luckily I'm entitled to this job. It was so intriguing.’
Win a Beast Quest Goodie Bag!
To mark the 10th Birthday of The Beast Quest series we are giving away THREE goodie bags filled with Beast Quest treats including temporary tattoos, pens, a printed bag and books from the series!
To have a chance of winning one of these super prizes, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter, multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once.
The draw closes on 29 May 2017. The winners will be notified by 5 June 2017.
Spy Toys by Mark Powers
Toy Story meets James Bond in this incredibly action-packed new series. Spy Toys are going to take the world by storm! The world's leading toy manufacturer makes playthings for the rich and famous, and every toy they create contains a tiny computerised brain and a unique personality. These toys are seriously awesome!
But every so often there's a faulty toy...
Dan is a Snugliffic Cuddlestar bear - he should be perfect for hugging. But because of a faulty chip, Dan is so strong he could crush a car. Thrown on to the rejects pile, he meets Arabella, a Loadsasmiles Sunshine Doll, who has a very short temper and is absolutely NOT good with children.
Soon Dan, Arabella and Flax (a custom-made police robot rabbit gone AWOL) are recruited by the mysterious Auntie Roz, and together they make up The Spy Toys.
Their first mission: to protect the prime minister's son from being kidnapped...
About the Author
More books by Mark Powers
Bloomsbury Publishing PLC
12th January 2017
We love Lovereading4kids because it promotes reading choices, new authors and a sense of community for children of all ages!Rachel Bridgeman
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7
I love all the books they recommend & put up for me to review. I also love the fact that they give new authors the chance to share their booDaisy Pennock – age 15
Lovereading is just a convenient way to find new books and hear others opinions on them.Sarah Murray – age 15
It is THE website to use for narrowing down your search for any book. Definitely knocks the socks off any other book review website.Nickey and Tomasz Hawryszczuk
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14
At @HHSHaringey we love @lovereading4kids because our pupils can practice reviewing & get free upcoming books before anyone else!Helen Swinyard – Heartlands High
Love “Lovereading4kids” as my son gets to hear about & read new books before his mates which keeps him interested in reading=a very happy MumLiz Evans