What Not to Do If You Turn Invisible
Written by Ross Welford
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
January 2017 Book of the Month | In a nutshell: invisible girl finds herself in the spotlight | Ross Welford is making a habit of putting his characters in unusual situations: the star of his prize-shortlisted debut went time travelling, while Ethel, his new central character, unexpectedly becomes invisible, thanks to a mysterious Chinese herbal medicine and a second hand sun bed. Welford properly examines the impact of this invisibility on Ethel and, with one notable exception, the story is low on practical jokes, and high on the terrifying prospect of never being seen again. Ethel has other things to deal with too, including untangling family secrets to discover who she really is. In all this, she’s helped by new friend the irrepressible Boydy, who is determined to turn a spotlight on the situation – literally. Funny, touching and thoroughly original, Welford crafts another absorbing real-life adventure out of an extraordinary set-up. ~ Andrea Reece
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review Time Travelling with a Hamster. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Anastasia Abdian, age 11 - 'Time Travelling With a Hamster is a fantastic book. You will laugh and cry as you read about Al Chaudhury's adventure to prevent an accident and save his father. You must read this amazing novel.'
- Isaac Phelan, age 12 - 'Time travel, presently the most excitable science the world has ever seen. Ross's intriguing novel is almost better than time travelling itself.'
- Georgie Docwra, age 10 - 'I really enjoyed reading Time Travelling with a Hamster as it is a very funny book, which made me laugh out loud.'
- Jenna Welch, age 11 - 'This book really creates a life-like gripping atmosphere whilst you read it. Welford spins a truly good yarn with brilliant characterisation throughout the book. Great for pet lovers.'
- Stephanie Chaplin - 'I loved this book because it has action all the way through and it was hard to put the book down.'
- Sam Harper, age 11 - 'An amazing story which is funny, gripping and has a cute hamster in it – what more could you want from a book? It’s an absolutely brilliant read, I loved it!'
- Lauren Carver, age 9 - 'Time Travelling with A Hamster is a funny and quite emotional book. The ending is lovely and cherishing. I think Ross is very talented and thoughtful. Best book ever!'
- Alexander Bisland, age 10 - 'This book has a rollercoaster of emotions and it ends with a cliff-hanger. I would really like to read a sequel.'
- Amanda Curtis - 'I really like this book especially Alan shearer and the time machine.'
- Louie Mee, age 10 - 'I liked this book as it was about travelling in time.'
What Not to Do If You Turn Invisible by Ross Welford
From the author of the unforgettable bestseller Time Travelling with a Hamster comes another surprising, beautiful and funny novel about a child who, by disappearing, will write herself into your heart forever...
Turning invisible at will: it's one way of curing your acne. But far more drastic than 13 year-old Ethel Leatherhead intended when she tried a combination of untested medicines and a sunbed. It's fun at first, being invisible. And aided by her friend Boydy, she manages to keep her extraordinary ability secret. Or does she...?
When one day the invisibility fails to wear off, Ethel is thrown into a nightmare of lies and deception as she struggles to keep herself safe, to find the remedy that will make her seen again - and solve the mystery of her own birth...
Praise for TIME TRAVELLING WITH A HAMSTER:
'The gripping suspense truly makes time fly... the book's heart and humour are hard to resist. Piers Torday, author of The Last Wild
Extremely clever and totally engaging. The Irish Times
Intelligent, well crafted and impressive. Nicolette Jones, The Sunday Times
'Touching, silly and exciting by turns, this thrilling little book is an inventive take on time travel for children. Sure to be a hit with fans of R.J. Palacio's Wonder... an unforgettable, madcap story from a bright new talent in Children's fiction.' Waterstones
A touching tale of family, grief and love. Daily Express
'With intriguing twists from start to finish, this story is a real roller coaster of emotions. It warmed my heart and filled my head with wonder! A fast, funny and really satisfying read that sparks your imagination.'
About the Author
Interest Age: From 9
More books by Ross Welford
HarperCollins Children's Books an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers
29th December 2016
I love finding new books to read. My mummy and me look at the new ones coming out. I have written reviews of some of them!Jessica Cobbin – age 7
LoveReading4Kids is a modern and creative way of emphasising the value and importance of books in this digital age #booksforlifeAmrit Bunet – Teen
This company is amazing; not only is it is a great opportunity to get books and review them but everyone is so friendly and supportive!Jemma Rubens, age 10
Lovereading is just a convenient way to find new books and hear others opinions on them.Sarah Murray – age 15
It has introduced my children to books we hadn’t come across before. Real children’s reviews gives a great insight into what others think toLorraine Woods
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
A great way to introduce kids to great books, authors & genres. Parents can find age-appropriate books to share with their children.Judi Davies – Aberdare Girls Sch
Love “Lovereading4kids” as my son gets to hear about & read new books before his mates which keeps him interested in reading=a very happy MumLiz Evans