Hilo: The Boy Who Crashed to Earth
Written by Judd Winick
Part of the Hilo Series
Lovereading4kids Price £6.39
£7.99 saving £1.60 (20%)
The Lovereading4Kids comment
January 2017 Book of the Month | In a nutshell: irresistible adventure story told in words and pictures | Prepare yourselves: children across the country will soon be using a shouted “Aaahh!” as a greeting, followed by hysterical laughter. This is how space boy android Hilo greets his best friend D.J. and the two are quickly set to become the new favourites of children’s fiction. Judd Winick’s fast moving cartoon adventure begins when Hilo falls to earth, dressed only in silver underpants. He’s found by D.J., an ordinary kid in a family of over-achievers, who quickly discovers that there are more creatures coming after Hilo, and they’re not nearly as friendly. D.J.’s old friend Gina, newly returned to their quiet town, joins the gang too and the stage is set for some great battles. While there’s lots of action, there’s also space for humour, friendships and the message that super-heroes take all forms. As Hilo would say, “Outstanding!”
For more action-packed, funny space adventures try Steve Cole’s Magic Ink books, and for more brilliant cartoon action in colour there’s Star Cat and Evil Emperor Penguin from the Phoenix Comic Presents series. ~ Andrea Reece
Kids love to read and so in addition to the review by one of the Lovereading4kids editorial experts some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel members were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Joshua Parcell, age 9 - 'A funny book written in a very interesting format. Hilo is a boy robot with some incredible powers, he has never seen a planet like Earth before!'
- Oliver Lonsdale, age 9 - 'Very funny book, absolutely excellent, makes you want to read more.'
- Bella, age 9 - 'I loved sharing this book with my Dad he doesn't normally read but we read this in three days.'
- Toby Little, age 9 - 'Even though I don’t like comic books, I really loved this one. Having a main character who doesn’t know anything about himself is mysterious. I can’t wait to read it again.'
- Lucas Blake, age 6 - 'Holy mackerel, this book is OUTSTANDING!'
- Daniel Bisland age 9 and Alexander Bisland age 11 - 'We recommend this book to 6+ comic readers who like superheroes as the book only has a few words and could be read with a parent. We give it 5*****.'
- Lewis Briggs, age 10 - 'Possibly one of the coolest books on Earth! It is written in comic form and has a cliff-hanger at the same time.'
- Lucy, age 6 - 'This is an adventure story that is written as a comic strip. Hilo is very funny.'
- Aidan Wood, age 7 - 'Overall the pictures were colourful, but I'd have liked a bit more description in the story.'
- Gianna Smith, age 7 - 'Hilo doesn't know what he is or where he came from. His brain is like a busted book with lots of pages missing and holes. You should read it and it makes you want to read on.'
- Iulia Motoc, age 9 - 'Exciting, very easy to read and excellent illustrations, all in one comic style book!'
Hilo: The Boy Who Crashed to Earth by Judd Winick
First in a brilliant new series perfect for fans of laugh-out-loud school adventures like Jedi Academy and Diary of a Wimpy Kid.
D.J. and his friend Gina are totally normal kids. Until a mysterious boy comes crashing down from the sky and nearly blows up their club house! Hilo doesn't know where he came from, or what he's doing on Earth (or why going to school in only your underwear is a bad idea!) but he's starting to think he might not be the only alien to have crash-landed on our planet. Can the trio unlock the secrets of his past? Can Hilo survive a day at school? And are D.J. and Gina ready to save the world?
For more Hilo fun, videos and sneak peaks visit www.juddspillowfort.com/hilo
'Every kid would love a pal like Hilo, and every kid will love this book!' - Lincoln Peirce, creator of Big Nate
‘Hilo is fast paced, furiously funny, and will have kids waiting on the edge of their seats for more. Aaaaaaaaaahhhh!’ Jeffery Brown
‘HILO is delightful, silly, tender, and most importantly: funny.’ Jeff Smith
‘A perfect book for any kid who ever needed a friend and then had one with super powersfall from space"’ Seth Meyers
About the Author
Interest Age: From 7
More books by Judd Winick
Puffin an imprint of Penguin Books Ltd
29th December 2016
We love Lovereading4kids because it promotes reading choices, new authors and a sense of community for children of all ages!Rachel Bridgeman
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7
A great way to introduce kids to great books, authors & genres. Parents can find age-appropriate books to share with their children.Judi Davies – Aberdare Girls Sch
It has introduced my children to books we hadn’t come across before. Real children’s reviews gives a great insight into what others think toLorraine Woods
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East
This company is amazing; not only is it is a great opportunity to get books and review them but everyone is so friendly and supportive!Jemma Rubens, age 10
You give me age appropriate ideas of books I can read and buy for the children and find out what other children their age think of them too.Katie Lonsdale