Spook's: The Dark Assassin
Written by Joseph Delaney
Part of the The Starblade Chronicles Series
Lovereading4kids Price £10.39
£12.99 saving £2.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
In a Nutshell: Classically creepy supernatural struggles Exquisitely chilling and brimming with beasts, this third book in the Spooks’ Starblade Chronicles series is an utterly enthralling, spine-tingling treat.
Tom Ward is now a fully-fledged Spook and, as such, his life is dedicated to protecting the County from all manner of terrors, among them beastly boggarts, scuttling skelts and wild witches. He now also has charge of his own apprentice, Jenny, who claims to be the seventh daughter of a seventh daughter, as he was the seventh son of a seventh son. With the County-dwellers living under the shadow of a war that threatens to tear humankind apart, the stakes are higher than ever and, alongside the gripping descriptions of battles and beasts, Tom’s alliances and friendships are depicted with tremendous warmth and humanity, further adding to the atmosphere of high-octane urgency. “I only need one ally,” Tom insists. “And that is you, Alice. Together we shall be as gods”.
As ever, the writing is as elegantly incisive as it is chilling. In fact, the entire Spooks saga has a real sense of classic timelessness and glorious inter-generational appeal. ~ Joanne Owen
Teens love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review the first title in The Starblade Chronicles, A New Darkness. You can read their full reviews here.
- Sidney Greenslade, age 12 - 'Thank you to Joseph Delaney for writing this book, I couldn't get enough of it. Fantastic characters, amazing world, wonderful writing – it has everything. I loved it.'
- Rose Roberts, age 12 - 'I really enjoyed Spooks - A New Darkness. I liked how it is set in this world, but has made up creatures. It has the common 'light vs dark' 'good vs evil' but in a completely different way.'
- Aonghus Anderson, age 12 - 'I read the whole book in one day it was so gripping, the descriptions of the battles were amazing and it had a really good storyline.'
- Eloise Mae Clarkson, age 12 - 'The plot was amazing and I loved the twist at the end. I would rate this book five out of five stars. I would definitely read more in the series and recommend to a friend.'
- Amelia Corrick-Gough, age 14 - 'Oh my goodness! How do I put my love for this book into words? I picked this book up, and I fell into the county. I fell in love with the characters, and I can't wait for the next book!'
- Georgina Bellingham, age 12 - 'This book will introduce a whole new generation of readers to the ‘Spooks’ books. It is perfect if you love adventure, thrills and chills, and a bit of darkness.'
- Benjamin Parsons, age 12 - 'An exciting book, full of twists and turns. Recommended for fantasy lovers.'
- Cesca Anderson - 'Spooks: A New Darkness is a very exciting book that kept me in eager suspense the whole way through.'
- Emily Price - 'I knew that I wasn't going to put this book down. It’s amazing.'
- Rebekah Marsh, age 13 - 'Spooks - A New Darkness is truly inspiring, it is representative of today's changing society and how gender no longer has an impact upon our actions.'
- Josh Curtis, age 13 - 'I can’t wait till the next one comes out!!'
- Joseph Harris-Hart, age 13 - 'A dark yet thrilling adventure story, with weird monsters, witches, ghosts, ghasts and all manner of dark entities, I couldn't help but read it!'
- Felicity Kerswell, age 13 - 'This book was gripping and was a really excellent read. I can’t wait for the next book to come out in the New Year. The way the author has written this book made me feel as I was a part of the story.'
- Ella Hollingshead, age 14 - 'Spooks is full of suspense and drama. I couldn't put this book down as I needed to know the ending!'
- Traviss Chaytors, age 12 - 'A.M.A.Z.I.N.G!I love all of the Spooks books but this has to be the best yet because it’s full of excitement and was even a little bit scary in places!'
Spook's: The Dark Assassin by Joseph Delaney
The third chilling installment in the new Spook's legend....An assassin lurks in the darkness between earth and oblivion - but who are they, and what is their mission? The people of the County live in fear of the beasts bent on bringing the war to their home. How can they possibly hope to survive when their fearsome enemies are fortified with the power of a god? Could the creature that moves in the darkness be the saviour the County seeks?
Praise for A New Darkness:
A solid, suspenseful, and spooky adventure Publishers Weekly
Praise for The Dark Army:
Unbeatable stuff for readers who like to be terrified! Andrea Reece, lovereading4kids.co.uk
About the Author
Interest Age: From 12
More books by Joseph Delaney
Author's Facebook Latest
The Bodley Head Ltd an imprint of Vintage Publishing
5th January 2017
I love Lovereading as it provides an honest opinion and showcases a range of fiction. Suited to both parents & kids alike, it’s a must-use.Georgie Rowe – age 16
Writing reviews help the children with their literacy skills and we always read the books together which gives us good quality family time!Cat Bisland (on behalf of the Bi
I think Lovereading4kids is an amazing company because of the friendly staff and the fabulous chance to read great books before publication.Adam Graham
I love finding new books to read. My mummy and me look at the new ones coming out. I have written reviews of some of them!Jessica Cobbin – age 7
LoveReading4Kids is a modern and creative way of emphasising the value and importance of books in this digital age #booksforlifeAmrit Bunet – Teen
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7
At @HHSHaringey we love @lovereading4kids because our pupils can practice reviewing & get free upcoming books before anyone else!Helen Swinyard – Heartlands High
I love all the books they recommend & put up for me to review. I also love the fact that they give new authors the chance to share their booDaisy Pennock – age 15