Every Hidden Thing
Written by Kenneth Oppel
Lovereading4kids Price £8.79
£10.99 saving £2.20 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
March 2017 Book of the Month | In a Nutshell: Romancing the Bones | There’s rivalry, romance and skullduggery galore in this rip-roaring read following two epic expeditions to unearth an extraordinary dinosaur skeleton in the Badlands of early twentieth century America.
Rachel is the sharp-minded, snake-keeping daughter of Professor Cartland, chair of paleontology at Yale University. While she’s frustrated by the crippling confines of her era, Rachel’s passion for natural science knows no bounds and so she implements an inspired scheme to accompany her dad on a major expedition. Samuel is the son of volatile Professor Bolt, a self-taught fossil expert and collector. When Samuel first sets eyes on Rachel, he’s immediately drawn to her. She’s an enigma, unlike any other girl he’s ever met. Soon enough, their lives entwine when it turns out that they’re both seeking the same thing: the bones of the legendary Black Beauty dinosaur. As the rivalry between their feuding fathers intensifies, so too does their connection, and the double-crossing, dinosaur-loving duo surreptitiously meet, sharing updates on the progress of their respective endeavors as their relationship deepens. But all loyalties are well and truly put to the test when a real danger emerges…
The novel’s refreshingly original premise has been executed with lashings of elegance and energy, and the historical details about paleontology and Native American peoples are utterly engrossing - this truly is a treasure trove of adventure and romance. ~ Joanne Owen
Kids love to read and so in addition to the review by one of the Lovereading4kids editorial experts some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel members were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Olivia Tierney, age 19 - 'An epic adventure of explorers and scientific discovery. With a daring plot and irresistible characters, I loved Every Hidden Thing from start to finish.'
- Emma Baird, age 14 - 'In this book the author perfectly combines fantasy, romance and history to create a plot which I believe will appeal to many readers. '
- Sidney Greenslade, age 13 - 'Every Hidden Thing is a fantastic book with an amazing and exciting plot which draws you in. Just about perfect for all dinosaur and romance lovers!'
- Amy Laws, age 15 - 'A unique concept and an unusual setting lead to an interesting read.'
- Ella - 'This book was not really for me but included a twisting story and a plot about fossils, romance and dinosaurs.'
- Laura Solomon - 'Original and unique, Oppel has done something I've never seen before. I love it.'
- Grace Spear, age 14 - 'I love this book because I feel like I really connected with both of the characters...I'd recommend this book to anyone who loves exploring and romance.'
- Rebekah Marsh, age 14 - 'The never seen before love story is one that I’ll remember forever; however, the archaeology related story line was not one for me.'
- Rose Roberts, age 13 - 'It is a book that makes you think. About palaeontology, about rivalry, and (sorry about this) love.'
- Abbie Bavister, age 14 - 'To be honest this wasn't really my type of book but I could appreciate it was well written.'
Win an original print from The Pavee and the Buffer Girl
Siobhan Dowd's powerful story of the fight against racism and prejudice, The Pavee and the Buffer Girl, has been reissued as a splendid graphic novel with stunning illustrations by Emma Shoard. We are giving away an ORIGINAL print from the book (shown here) and a copy SIGNED by Emma.
To have a chance of winning this special prize, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter, multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once.
The draw closes on 3 May 2017. The winners will be notified by 15 May 2017.
Every Hidden Thing by Kenneth Oppel
Deep in the Badlands, embedded in rock and sand, lies the skeleton of a massive dinosaur, larger than anything the world has ever seen. For Samuel Bolt it's the dinosaur that could put him and his father into the history books.
But Samuel and his father aren't the only ones on the trail. Rachel Cartland is dreading a future of housewifery or spinsterhood. The Rex could be her ticket to finally explore her love of science and adventure.
Samuel and Rachel are pushed closer together as their paths cross and the rivalry between their fathers becomes more intense. And with both after the same prize, any romance seems destined to fail. Can they find the skeleton-and with it a new life together-or will the rivalry tear them apart?
About the Author
More books by Kenneth Oppel
Author's Facebook Latest
David Fickling Books
2nd March 2017
Love “Lovereading4kids” as my son gets to hear about & read new books before his mates which keeps him interested in reading=a very happy MumLiz Evans
We love Lovereading4kids because it promotes reading choices, new authors and a sense of community for children of all ages!Rachel Bridgeman
Lovereading is just a convenient way to find new books and hear others opinions on them.Sarah Murray – age 15
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils
It’s really exciting to read and review new books, thrilling to see my reviews online and I love finding the final published copies on sale.Sam Harper – age 10
It’s a community united by a passion for books and promoting the best there is in children’s literature.Sam Bateman and family