The Adventures of Miss Petitfour
Written by Anne Michaels
Illustrated by Emma Block
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
April 2017 Debut of the Month | There is something quite wonderful about indulging in your favourite cake, beautifully decorated with sweet delectable icing. Well the same can be said for The Adventures of Miss Petitfour. As well as being a novelist, author Anne Michaels is a poet and this is evident in her beautiful use of language which encourages you to read the words aloud just so you can wrap your tongue around them. This wonderful book contains five stories about our Mary Poppins/Pippi Longstocking/Mary Berry-esque heroine and her wonderful family of cats who trail paw-to-tail behind her as she rides the breeze towards her next adventure. The beautiful illustrations by Emma Block are quite literally the icing on the cake, full of humour and delicious detail. Indeed with this, her first book for children, Anne Michaels has created something that readers of all ages will return to again and again. ~ Shelley Fallows
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Beth Urquhart, age 8 - 'It was a funny book full of cat-filled adventures...Miss Petitfour is a bit like Mary Poppins but with cats. The illustrations were nice and helped the story to come alive.'
- Habibah Saleem, age 7 - 'The book describes the exciting adventures of Miss Petitfour and her favourite cats, showing her love for baking, making, dancing and especially having fun flying!'
- Sidney Greenslade, age 11 - 'The Adventures of Miss Petitfour is a delightfully heartwarming set of tales about a lady and her sixteen cats. Beautifully illustrated and suitable for all ages.'
- Evie Aconley, age 8 - 'This book was really good, I liked all the adventures especially the one about a penny black stamp.'
- Annabelle Cassidy, age 7 - 'If you love cats, or adventures, then this book is for you. Miss Petitfour is a wonderful character to whom anything might happen, all with the help of a tablecloth and her sixteen cats.'
- Anya Fuller, age 8 - 'I thought this book was brilliant. I would love to read some more of Miss Petitfour’s adventures if I could do so. I think that it would make a good present for girls aged 8 and over.'
- Mia Goodman, age 9 - 'I adored this book, it contained all my favourite things: cats, flying (I'd love to be able to fly!) and baking. It is one of the best books I have ever read!'
- Opal Harper, age 8 - 'This book includes five incredible stories about Miss Petitfour and her cats. She just has to pick up her favourite tablecloth and she flies off with her cats on amazing adventures! Wow!'
- Rachel Zinkin, age 8 - 'The book is very quirky and different from anything else.'
- Constance Peers, age 8 - 'These adventurous tales are purr-fect for children who like cats and richly descriptive story telling.'
- Darcey Mcilroy, age 7 - 'The book is full of short stories about Miss Petitfour and her cats...Miss Petitfour is a bit like Mary Poppins. My mum and I read the stories together which made them fun. We really liked the pictures because they were colourful.'
- Emily Yates, age 9 - 'A lovely relaxing read with brilliant digressions.'
- Miranda Beinart-Smith, age 9 - 'What I loved about this book was the entertainment and the wit and the way it taught you lots of new words. I also really liked the pretty, detailed illustrations.'
Win a Beast Quest Goodie Bag!
To mark the 10th Birthday of The Beast Quest series we are giving away THREE goodie bags filled with Beast Quest treats including temporary tattoos, pens, a printed bag and books from the series!
To have a chance of winning one of these super prizes, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter, multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once.
The draw closes on 29 May 2017. The winners will be notified by 5 June 2017.
The Adventures of Miss Petitfour by Anne Michaels
Meet the utterly irresistible Miss Petitfour (a name of unknown origin but possibly descended from bakers of tiny delicious cakes). She loves baking and making and dancing with her cats, but most of all she loves to fly. All she has to do is pick up a favourite tablecloth (preferably the one with the paisley print), catch the breeze and she swooshes off on an adventure - with her many cats (Minky, Misty, Taffy, Purrsia, Pirate, Mustard, Moutarde, Hemdala, Earring, Grigorovich, Clasby, Captain Captain, Captain Catkin, Captain Clothespin, Your Shyness and Sizzles) dangling paw-to-tail behind her.
In five utterly captivating stories of gentle adventure, delicious edibles (with cheese for the cats), occasional peril and heart-zinging warmth, poet and novelist Anne Michaels (author of bestselling, award-winning Fugitive Pieces) makes a charming, purrfect debut as a children's author.
About the Author
More books by Anne Michaels
Bloomsbury Childrens an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing PLC
6th April 2017
This company is amazing; not only is it is a great opportunity to get books and review them but everyone is so friendly and supportive!Jemma Rubens, age 10
You give me age appropriate ideas of books I can read and buy for the children and find out what other children their age think of them too.Katie Lonsdale
LoveReading4Kids is a modern and creative way of emphasising the value and importance of books in this digital age #booksforlifeAmrit Bunet – Teen
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
I love Lovereading because I often never know what to read and this helps you find a good book. I have recommended this to many people.Shannon-Louise Masters – age 15
It has introduced my children to books we hadn’t come across before. Real children’s reviews gives a great insight into what others think toLorraine Woods
Lovereading is just a convenient way to find new books and hear others opinions on them.Sarah Murray – age 15