Written by Derek Landy
Lovereading4kids Price £10.39
£12.99 saving £2.60 (20%)
when in stock
As soon as this book is back in stock we will send you an email.Compare book price We'd love you to buy your books from Lovereading - especially if we helped you to choose them! But as our mantra is guidance, and that includes guidance on price, please do use our 'Compare Book Price' service to discover if the best value deal is from Lovereading or another specialist bookstore.
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
This is, according to the worldwide publishers the biggest new publishing phenomenon of 2007. Well, that’s quite a statement, and although we don’t go quite that far yet, mainly because it is only published in the fourth month of the year, Skulduggery Pleasant is something that’s more than just a bit different from anything else on the market. Yes it has a weird, you could say warped, storyline but it will have you in a vice-like grip from page one and keep you there until the final page. See below for what one of our children's reading panel thought of it.
One of the best novels I have read. With the witty catchphrases and punchy action scenes, it had me glued to every page. My favourite part was when they rescue Skulduggery and he says ‘well it’s going rather fabulously so far’. It reminded me of my friend, saying completely the wrong thing for that time. You discover so much about all of their characters: Stephanie tries to be brave but she is really scared of all the magic, Skulduggery just wants revenge on Serpine for what he did to him in life. You become such close friends and they are inside your head all day and you in theirs.
I am really looking forward to the sequel and finding out about Stephanie’s new powers. It was a brilliant read and I loved every minute of it.
Also don't forget to check out the brilliant video that you can 'personalise', and send to your friends - your message appears on a gravetone in the video! - just click the image below
Perfect for Reluctant Readers as well as keen readers. To view other titles we think are suitable for reluctant readers please click here.
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title.
- Adi Mehta, age 8 - 'I love this stunning book. The surprises are waiting for you!' Read full review >
- Harvey Jones, age 12 - 'This is a funny book. It was very enjoyable, fast paced and exciting.' Read full review >
- Joseph Harris-Hart, age 11 - 'This book is about Skulduggery Pleasant who is a skeleton and Stephanie a twelve year old girl,who are the main characters in the story.' Read full review >
- Alina Wraith, age 9 - 'Skulduggery Pleasant is a really good book. I am so glad I have discovered it as there are plenty more in the series to read and I’m off to buy them as soon as I can.' Read full review >
- Tom Greenan, age 8 - 'It was a very good book that I didn't want to put down. 10/10' Read full review >
- Raj Bunet, age 12 - 'This book is filled with action every page you turn. At one point I was unable to put this book down. I can not wait until the next books in the Skulduggery Pleasant series are released.' Read full review >
- Callum, age 10 - 'This book is about murder, mystery, magic and trickery. This is a must read book. It is well written and punctuated.'Read full review >
- Alice East, age 9 - 'This is the first book in a series of seven about a skeleton magician and detective...It is a story with lots of action and adventure in it which makes you keep reading the next chapter.' Read full review >
- Tom Corbett, age 10 - 'You don't know what happens next. So that's good. I would reccomend it to everybody. It was great.' Read full review >
- Thomas Heaney age 15 - 'I really enjoyed this book by Derek Landy, he is a brilliant author and this story was a great read.' Read full review >
- Toby Slocombe, age 10 - 'This book is a great, descriptive book . It, only by using description, strikes fear into you at certain moments. Derek Landy created fabulous character and plot.' Read full review >
Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy
Get ready for the biggest NEW publishing phenomenon of 2007! ‘So you won't keep anything from me again?’ He put his hand to his chest. ‘Cross my heart and hope to die.’ ‘Okay then. Though you don't actually have a heart,’ she said. ‘I know.’ ‘And technically, you've already died.’ ‘I know that too.’ ‘Just so we're clear.’ Stephanie's uncle Gordon is a writer of horror fiction. But when he dies and leaves her his estate, Stephanie learns that while he may have written horror, it certainly wasn't fiction. Pursued by evil forces intent on recovering a mysterious key, Stephanie finds help from an unusual source -- the wisecracking skeleton of a dead wizard. When all hell breaks loose, it's lucky for Skulduggery that he's already dead. Though he's about to discover that being a skeleton doesn't stop you from being tortured, if the torturer is determined enough. And if there's anything Skulduggery hates, it's torture! Will evil win the day? Will Stephanie and Skulduggery stop bickering long enough to stop it? One thing's for sure: evil won't know what's hit it.
About the Author
More books by Derek Landy
Author's Facebook Latest
2nd April 2007
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley
It’s really exciting to read and review new books, thrilling to see my reviews online and I love finding the final published copies on sale.Sam Harper – age 10
This company is amazing; not only is it is a great opportunity to get books and review them but everyone is so friendly and supportive!Jemma Rubens, age 10
I love Lovereading4kids because I get an opportunity to put my opinion forward and to try new booksElosie Clarkson – age 11
At @HHSHaringey we love @lovereading4kids because our pupils can practice reviewing & get free upcoming books before anyone else!Helen Swinyard – Heartlands High
Writing reviews help the children with their literacy skills and we always read the books together which gives us good quality family time!Cat Bisland (on behalf of the Bi
I love lovereading4kids because I’ve read amazing books I would never have picked up, and its opened doors to new genre’s I now love.Harriet Cunningham